THE EQUALIZER - Damn, That Show is Good

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
Eric Paddon

Re: THE EQUALIZER - Damn, That Show is Good

#16 Post by Eric Paddon »

I think without the dynamic of Gerard's obsession for having "lost" Kimble, you've still removed one of the basic elements of the original that could even have been retained in the movie if they'd so desired. That's why I was seeing the movie as a wholly different thing without trying to be a self-conscious copy of the original like so many other movie versions of TV shows are. In fact the one thing I spotted that came off as a direct homage was a subtle touch of Ford walking down the street with the lapels of his jacket turned up exactly the way David Janssen would do it.

I will admit it's too bad they didn't have Barry Morse do some kind of cameo. Maybe as the judge who sentences Kimble or as his defense attorney.

Mike Skerritt

#17 Post by Mike Skerritt »

DavidBanner wrote:I agree with Andy on this.

The point of the series "The Equalizer" was that it was about a former spy who was making up for prior bad deeds by doing favors for people in trouble. You just answered his newspaper ad of "Odds Against You?" and he would equalize them for you. Made for an interesting TV show where he could meet different people every week and even up their odds. Granted, you could have a single episode where things could wind up going in the Death Wish or Taken direction. But that wasn't the main thrust of the series. It sounds like they've taken the most extreme version of what the character might do and made that the central line of their movie.
For what it's worth, my understanding is the movie ends with him placing the ad for the first time. Sony is already developing the sequel. Seems like this was envisioned as the origin story for a franchise that would more closely reflect the premise of the TV show. Although I know the girl played by Moretz isn't the only person he, uh, equalizes in the movie. I'm not arguing for or against the movie here, just adding some context.

I'm surprised to see TAKEN mentioned and not MAN ON FIRE, which is way closer story-wise (plus Denzel!).

AndyDursin

#18 Post by AndyDursin »

So this is an "origin movie" -- can't get enough of those! :o

Monterey Jack

#19 Post by Monterey Jack »

AndyDursin wrote:So this is an "origin movie" -- can't get enough of those! :o
HOMER: Next, I'll tell you the origin of Maggie's pacifier!

MARGE: What? We get 'em for $1.95 down at the Safeway.

Mike Skerritt

#20 Post by Mike Skerritt »

AndyDursin wrote:So this is an "origin movie" -- can't get enough of those! :o
:D

Paul MacLean

#21 Post by Paul MacLean »

Earlier today I came across this tribute to / remembrance of Edward Woodward, written by Equalizer Producer Coleman Luck. It's quite a good read, and details why the series was so unique, and celebrates Woodward as both a performer and human being...

https://colemanluck.net/2018/11/16/in-m ... Zxwg7EPvUE

AndyDursin

#22 Post by AndyDursin »

Thanks for sharing Paul. It's funny -- you get that sense about Woodward from his performances, especially this show. It's why I like it so much, and lament today's (similar) programs seldom give an actor that kind of forum.

Paul MacLean

#23 Post by Paul MacLean »

AndyDursin wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:37 am Thanks for sharing Paul. It's funny -- you get that sense about Woodward from his performances, especially this show. It's why I like it so much, and lament today's (similar) programs seldom give an actor that kind of forum.
I still have never seen The Equalizer, but have always been a huge fan of Breaker Morant. Woodward's performance in that film bursts with passion and humanity. I was surprised to learn recently that Bruce Beresford saw Harry Morant as a "dark" character, and was surprised that audiences sympathized with him. I think you can credit Woodward for that -- not that he "misinterpreted" the role at all, but rather that he brought far-more to the character than the director supposed.