STAR WARS ROGUE ONE - December 16th

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
BobaMike

Re: STAR WARS ROGUE ONE - December 16th

#76 Post by BobaMike »

Andy,

The kids at my middle school all loved it, so I don't know if it's all aging fanboys like me :)

And you didn't find any humor in the movie? The blind guy and the robot had the theater laughing at our screening.

As for Giacchino's score, Disney has the FYC available for download, 26 minutes not on the cd, which I made into an extended version. I'm curious what approach Desplat took that got his music replaced.

AndyDursin

#77 Post by AndyDursin »

I'm probably thinking of the pre-12 year old set. I can see middle school kids liking it. But this was not a movie I would recommend as a family film which basically every Star Wars film up until this point (with the possible exception of Revenge of the Sith) has been.
And you didn't find any humor in the movie? The blind guy and the robot had the theater laughing at our screening.
There was one laugh -- one -- with the blind guy that I chuckled at (the bit when they put the bag over his head -- something that I bet was added in reshoots). I realize the robot was trying to be funny, but most of his material died. I didn't think the character was particularly funny or likeable.
I'm curious what approach Desplat took that got his music replaced.
God only knows what it would take to be replaced by Giacchino's crap. Did Desplat write a theme? lol

AndyDursin

#79 Post by AndyDursin »

I liked Giacchino's Star Trek scores more than this, which tells you something because I didn't like what he did there either.

His main approach here seemed to be taking a fragment of a Williams theme or motif and using the first two notes, just so you would think it was familiar, then run off in some frantic direction. It makes you appreciate how Williams wrote a similarly "mickey mousing" score at times for The Force Awakens but did so that the music was, well, much more listenable. But that's the difference between a genius composer with real talent and someone who might know "the game" but isn't gifted musically.

It does nothing at all to heighten the film dramatically. Nothing to take hold of thematically -- absolutely zilch -- and downright exhausting.

Edmund Kattak

#80 Post by Edmund Kattak »

Yes. I listened to the ROGUE ONE album yesterday. Lack of cohesion, vitality, and pretty boring. What's what the choral music coming out of nowhere and seemingly adding nothing to the music? It was distracting, mainly because the score seemed very unforcused. A couple moments also sounded more like Goldsmith than it did Williams. When it did sound like Williams, it lacked the organic flow and musical cohesion of Williams.

Very disappointing, considering his DOCTOR STRANGE score was light years better than this AND any of the Abrahms STAR TREK scores.
Indeed,
Ed

Monterey Jack

#81 Post by Monterey Jack »

7.5/10

It's more of a WWII "guys on a mission" flick from the 1960's than a traditional Star Wars "episode", but that's exactly what I was expecting and hoping for, so I was more than satisfied by this.

AndyDursin

#82 Post by AndyDursin »

Edmund Kattak wrote:Yes. I listened to the ROGUE ONE album yesterday. Lack of cohesion, vitality, and pretty boring. What's what the choral music coming out of nowhere and seemingly adding nothing to the music? It was distracting, mainly because the score seemed very unforcused. A couple moments also sounded more like Goldsmith than it did Williams. When it did sound like Williams, it lacked the organic flow and musical cohesion of Williams.

Very disappointing, considering his DOCTOR STRANGE score was light years better than this AND any of the Abrahms STAR TREK scores.
Summed it up perfectly Ed. I'm not going to be (ever) listening to the album so it sounds like it functions precisely as it does in the movie.

AndyDursin

#83 Post by AndyDursin »

Monterey Jack wrote:It's more of a WWII "guys on a mission" flick from the 1960's than a traditional Star Wars "episode", but that's exactly what I was expecting and hoping for, so I was more than satisfied by this.
Except in most "guys on a mission" movies, they bother to develop camaraderie between the characters so you care about them.

AndyDursin

#84 Post by AndyDursin »

Friend of mine said last night the end of this movie had more in common with Disney depression tales like OLD YELLER than STAR WARS. lol

tjguitar85

#85 Post by tjguitar85 »

I watched the film yesterday, and I enjoyed it. The album seems good enough to me. Is it as good as any of the other 7 scores? Probably not. But I wasn't expecting it to be.

I feel like the strangest thing Disney did with this film is market it as a "standalone film". This is clearly a direct prequel to A New Hope and I appreciated it for many of the reasons that BobaMike mentioned. You don't really care that the protagonists die because it just pushes the story along to the timeline of the original movie.

You wonder what the movie looked like before all the re-shoots though.

I also thought the Visual FX were quite impressive.

AndyDursin

#86 Post by AndyDursin »

Giacchino has completed quite a run for himself -- writing scores for the STAR TREK, STAR WARS, PLANET OF THE APES, and JURASSIC PARK franchises, and coming up with nothing beyond mediocrity (or worse) for all of them.

Good work! :roll:

Monterey Jack

#87 Post by Monterey Jack »

For Christ's sake... :?

AndyDursin

#88 Post by AndyDursin »

Tell me what I'm missing. Great, memorable themes that improve the film? Dramatic balance in tonal color? There's nothing his score does for this movie that makes it better. And it's the same way I felt after his PLANET OF THE APES (blah) score, or his JURASSIC WORLD score (tepid), and his STAR TREK scores. You can't say he wasn't handed franchises that haven't produced fantastic scores to play with either. I get that the "frantic cartooon," musical wallpaper approach is what the studios apparently want today, but even on that level, his music is ineffective.

In its own way, Giacchino's music has been as insignificant as some of Zimmer's scores that everyone criticizes. We know that everyone, including the FSM faithful, lambastes Zimmer's work when it doesn't do anything dramatically -- to be fair, the lot of Giacchino's scores recently have been every bit as poor, the difference is some fans don't recognize it (or don't want to) simply because he uses an orchestra. He's like the "Keeper of the Faith" for orchestral scoring, and that buys him an enormous amount of good will, but the bottom line is the best music he ever wrote was mimicking John Williams on a handful of video games back in the late 90s.

That was a long, long time ago, and left to his own devices, his output has been...disappointing...to put it charitably, all the while landing one A-list assignment and high-profile franchise after another.

tjguitar85

#89 Post by tjguitar85 »

I don't know Andy, you seemed pretty bitter about The Force Awakens score as well?

I like Jon Broxton's take on this one:

https://moviemusicuk.us/2016/12/20/rogu ... giacchino/

AndyDursin

#90 Post by AndyDursin »

Wasn't bitter. Just didn't think it was a great score compared to everything else Williams wrote for the series.