WAR FOR THE PLANET OF THE APES - July 14th - Trailer

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
Eric Paddon

Re: WAR FOR THE PLANET OF THE APES - July 14th - Trailer

#16 Post by Eric Paddon »

I watched a couple of those at first I think on the Craig Bond films, but soon I got tired of the device. Yes, you certainly do have to properly suspend disbelief. I haven't looked at what he did for POTA but I'm sure he brought up the "Apes speak English" thing which Heston did have a script discussion on and he pushed for ignoring it on the grounds that audiences would just accept it because English is "the lingua franca" of film.

There was a line during the astronauts trek through the desert about "cloud cover at night" which was to deal with the question of why wouldn't Taylor and company have noticed the Moon or familiar star patterns in the evening. That device I admit was plausible for a couple days but POTA takes place over the course of many weeks etc. and it's a *little* less plausible that you'd have the same phenonemon every night.

Monterey Jack

#17 Post by Monterey Jack »

I find the EWW videos to be amusing. It's obvious that NO ONE nitpicks to that degree when watching a movie, and it's exaggerated for comic effect here. It's also proof that even the most acclaimed, beloved movies of all time are filled with little technical and narrative "errors", but you won't care when you're watching them.

Paul MacLean

#18 Post by Paul MacLean »

Monterey Jack wrote:I find the EWW videos to be amusing. It's obvious that NO ONE nitpicks to that degree when watching a movie, and it's exaggerated for comic effect here. It's also proof that even the most acclaimed, beloved movies of all time are filled with little technical and narrative "errors", but you won't care when you're watching them.
Yes, every movie has faults, and no movie is above criticism. What I find insufferable is the way this guy acts oh-so-clever, and thinks he is attuned to things which filmmakers are "too stupid to realize".

In fact real life itself is full of things that stretch plausibility and don't make sense, and the world full of people who exhibit inconsistent behavior, overlook the obvious, benefit from coincidence, and all the other things "Mr. Everything Wrong With" picks at for being "narrative flaws".

I had an older sibling who was also ruthless, incorrigible armchair critic, and would ruin my attempts to watch Doctor Who with her incessant, play-by-play nitpicking of every aspect of the show.

Some years later I loaned her my camcorder so she could record a concert. She shot the whole thing looking through the viewfinder backwards. That's a story I always remember when I see these critical "know alls" who think they know better than the filmmakers.

AndyDursin

#19 Post by AndyDursin »

I just want someone who's been to a test screening spoil it...please let me know if Woody Harrelson beats the Apes.

thanks.

:wink: :lol: