WAR FOR THE PLANET OF THE APES - July 14th - Trailer

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
AndyDursin

WAR FOR THE PLANET OF THE APES - July 14th - Trailer

#1 Post by AndyDursin »

IMO they didn't push the story forward enough in DAWN and now we're going to get essentially the same film all over again it sounds like, just with more carnage and FX? Too bad. Some of us wanted to actually SEE the Planet of the Apes and a story set in that world, not a trilogy of films that appear to be just a build-up to it. :(

Anyway I'll still be there in 2017, complaints and all, lol

http://collider.com/new-planet-of-the-a ... ium=social

mkaroly

Re: WAR OF THE PLANET OF THE APES - July 2017

#2 Post by mkaroly »

I'll be there too - and very excited whatever the film might be! Maybe in this film they will develop the societal hierarchy of chimp, gorilla, and ape in the midst of the war...or something. I don't care...just put the film out there! :)

AndyDursin

#3 Post by AndyDursin »

Sigh. Looks like Woody Harrelson is taking over for Gary Oldman, and this is going to be a rerun of the last movie.

Here's what I'd like to know based on the plot summary that's floating out there -- if mankind is dying out, why NOW is there a "large scale collision" between mankind and the apes? Didn't the last movie establish humanity was ALREADY on its last legs and they couldn't even communicate with one another?

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-v ... new-823030
Woody Harrelson has nabbed one of the leading human roles in Fox’s latest Planet of the Apes installment.

Matt Reeves, who directed 2014’s Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, has returned as helmer for the new project, which is titled War for the Planet of the Apes. Mark Bomback also is back as screenwriter and Chernin Entertainment as the producer. Dylan Clark is also producing.

It is unclear who is returning to the new movie, which will continue the story of Caesar, the evolved ape who is brought to life via motion capture by Andy Serkis.

Plot details are being kept secret, but Harrelson will play a character called the Colonel.

It was recently reported that Gabriel Chavarria would play one of the new characters, but insiders say his part is small.

Harrelson is currently shooting LBJ, starring as President Lyndon B. Johnson, and will be back on the big screen in the final Hunger Games movie, which hits theaters on Nov. 20. The actor is undergoing a resurgence thanks to the critical acclaim for his work on the first season of HBO’s True Detective.

AndyDursin

#4 Post by AndyDursin »

Full trailer is here. Looks technically sound but narratively predictable. SPOILER - I'm guessing Woody doesn't win? lol :lol:

Paul MacLean

Re: WAR FOR THE PLANET OF THE APES - July 14th - Trailer

#5 Post by Paul MacLean »

I'd rather watch this again...

mkaroly

#6 Post by mkaroly »

BATTLE FOR THE PLANET OF THE APES is hard for me to get through...lol...not the series' best entry! I am up for WAR, though it does basically look like a rehash of the previous film.

AndyDursin

#7 Post by AndyDursin »

And another trailer...

Paul MacLean

#8 Post by Paul MacLean »

It looks just like Dawn of the Planet of the Apes.

I guess even sequels are a thing of the past. Now the "sequels" are just remakes.

mkaroly

#9 Post by mkaroly »

I got emotional when I watched the trailer...lol...no hope for me at all. APES and ALIEN are the two franchises that I will watch any and everything that gets released and will like it...except for Burton's APES entry which violated the first rule of Ape Law (and spoiled the one thing that separated humans from apes). It looked great and I liked Elfman's score...but violating Ape Law was a bad move IMO.

AndyDursin

#10 Post by AndyDursin »

Paul MacLean wrote:It looks just like Dawn of the Planet of the Apes.

I guess even sequels are a thing of the past. Now the "sequels" are just remakes.
Said it before, from the very first plot description of this sequel I read -- it's the same movie. Like, the EXACT same movie as the last one. Sub Woody Harrelson in for Gary Oldman, and it's basically the same thing all over again like you said Paul.

I love the Apes too, Michael, but I guess I was mistaken -- I thought we'd actually see the PLANET of the Apes at some point. That, apparently, would require too much imagination and ambition, though, so we're getting apes versus misguided humans and a crazy military colonel in a post-apocalyptic wasteland for the second straight film.

I might even skip this in theaters. Unless there's some angle they're not showing, I'm not going to go through the trouble of paying for a sitter and a night out for this. :?

AndyDursin

#11 Post by AndyDursin »

Depressing and grim? And 2.5 hours long? Sign me up! (....for video) lol.

think I can wait three months to see if the Apes beat WOODY HARRELSON :lol:
By quoting from some of cinema’s best adventure movies, Reeves has safely satisfied the fanboy contingent, and yet the ease with which he eradicates the human race betrays an alarming soullessness that even the most pixel-perfect performance-capture can’t excuse.
http://variety.com/2017/film/reviews/wa ... 202478161/

Monterey Jack

#12 Post by Monterey Jack »

Paul MacLean

#13 Post by Paul MacLean »

I have to be honest, I hate that "Everything Wrong With" guy's guts.

Criticism, and discussing one's likes and dislikes regarding a movie is one thing. But he is so insufferably smug, picking apart a movie's "faults" -- which are in most cases not faults at all, but just things he likes to criticize so he can look clever, and convince his fan base that he knows more about filmmaking than the people who do it professionally.

The reality is he'd have a melt-down within 90 seconds if he had to deal with the pressures a film director has to endure for 14-15 hours a day.

AndyDursin

#14 Post by AndyDursin »

Not a fan either. Movies require a suspension of disbelief, you either go with them -- or you don't. Very rarely do I sit there and pick apart something like that, especially if it's sci-fi, unless it is glaringly deficient.

Beyond that, he's trying to be funny...and fails miserably. Couldn't make it through more than a minute and he goes on for 15!

Paul MacLean

#15 Post by Paul MacLean »

Just one example -- he pokes fun at the idea of Taylor smoking a cigar on a spaceship next to wall covered in flammable material.

Well, as the movie clearly establishes (in this and subsequent scenes), Taylor is egotistical and a swaggering maverick -- it is entirely in character for him break protocol and smoke a cigar (especially when no one else is around).

Also, the film never establishes that the wall is in fact comprised of flammable material. In fact, seeing as Planet of the Apes was made in the immediate aftermath of the Apollo 1 tragedy, it most audiences would assume that the ship's interior is constructed from non-flammable material.