READY PLAYER ONE - Spielberg - 2018 - Trailer

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
jkholm

Re: READY PLAYER ONE - Spielberg - 2018 - Trailer

#16 Post by jkholm » Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:18 pm

Minor spoilers for the book...(and maybe the movie?) below
It's one thing to have references to things like Back to the Future and Star Wars in a movie. Even people who didn't grow up in the 80's know those, but the book has some obscure references as major plot points. The main character goes on scavenger hunt like quests to find clues to win the game. One of those clues involves a D&D module and another is for the text-adventure game Zork I. That's pretty nerdy. Will that be in the movie? I'm not sure mainstream audiences will appreciate that (or find it amusing).

AndyDursin

#17 Post by AndyDursin » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:24 pm

I'm all in for anything that has a ZORK reference! :D

Monterey Jack

#18 Post by Monterey Jack » Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:05 pm

That's the thing...Ready Player One has a reason for everyone picking apart obscure pop-culture stuff from the 80's. It's Willy Wonka for a digital age, so the fact that today's kids might not "get it" with some of the really obscure references is kind of built into the entire premise. This near-future (2040s, I think) dystopia where the teens and twentysomethings of that era busy themselves marathoning Charles In Charge and making fun of the drum-machine soundtrack for Ladyhawke because, somewhere in that morass of movie and TV stuff is the key to the biggest fortune on the planet. Hell, this could easily play into the film's marketing, a contest to visit the world premiere or something by watching 80's stuff and boning up on trivia. It may be "fanservice" for people of our generation who experienced all of this stuff the first time around, but the book does not paint a flattering portrait of these dead-end future kids.

AndyDursin

#19 Post by AndyDursin » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:06 am

I gotcha. I'm just telling you what it looked like to me. As long as there's a story there, fine, but I've also heard from a friend who stopped reading the book because (he said) the early portion of it, supposedly, had nothing more than a list of pop-culture references.

Maybe I should just read the book, but my time is limited these days!

AndyDursin

#20 Post by AndyDursin » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:55 pm

Ouch....this does not compel me to read the book!

http://theconcourse.deadspin.com/ready- ... 497066/amp