GODZILLA VS. KONG - 2020

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
AndyDursin

GODZILLA VS. KONG - 2020

#1 Post by AndyDursin »

Get in line now!

http://variety.com/2015/film/news/godzi ... 201618127/
Warner Bros. and Legendary are teaming up on a 2020 movie “Godzilla vs. Kong,” representing the official unification of the two monster franchises.

The companies jointly announced Wednesday that the basis for the film would be an “ecosystem” of giant super-species, both classic and new, as the Monarch organization that uncovered Godzilla in the 2014 film expands its mission in multiple releases.

The first films in the partnership have already been announced: “Kong: Skull Island,” which opens on March 10, 2017, and “Godzilla 2” on June 8, 2018.

The announcement noted that while Legendary maintains its new home at Universal Pictures, the Godzilla films and the Kong origin film will be distributed via Warner Bros. Production on “Kong: Skull Island,” which had been at Universal until recently, begins Oct. 19 with Tom Hiddleston, Brie Larson and “Straight Outta Compton” actors Corey Hawkins and Jason Mitchell.

“Kong: Skull Island” will be set in the mysterious home of the king of the apes as a team of explorers ventures deep inside the island. Jordan Vogt-Roberts is directing from a script by Max Borenstein, John Gatins and Dan Gilroy. Legendary’s Thomas Tull and Jon Jashni will produce with Mary Parent.

Tull said in a statement: “Audiences really responded to Godzilla. Today, I’m excited to reveal that film was only the beginning of an epic new entertainment universe. As a lifelong fan of these characters, I’ve always wanted to see the ultimate showdown, and today we’re pleased to be announcing that and more.”

Warner Bros. topper Kevin Tsujihara said in a statement: “Working with our partners at Legendary, we enjoyed tremendous creative and commercial success with ‘Godzilla.’ It’s great to be able to revisit these characters and help create a franchise with so many creative possibilities for filmmakers. Fans love these big, globally iconic films and it doesn’t get any bigger than this.”

Warner Bros. and Legendary announced on Aug. 14 that they had scheduled “Godzilla 2” for June 8, 2018, with Gareth Edwards returning as director of the monster movie sequel. At Comic-Con in July, Legendary disclosed that Godzilla would be joined by Mothra, Rodan and Ghidorah in the next movie.

“Godzilla” grossed $529 million worldwide. Legendary financed 75% of the $160 million budget, with Warner providing the rest and the companies splitting marketing costs.

Paul MacLean

Re: GODZILLA VS. KONG - 2020

#2 Post by Paul MacLean »

I'd rather watch an old Gamera movie than that thing.

AndyDursin

#3 Post by AndyDursin »

As more proof it no longer matters who directs these products, the guy who directed the BLAIR WITCH "reboot" -- which sucked -- has been hired to do this film!

http://deadline.com/2017/05/adam-wingar ... 202104701/

mkaroly

#4 Post by mkaroly »

I finally watched KONG: SKULL ISLAND. Very entertaining - the characters were not very interesting, but it didn't bother me very much as I just loved Kong and the unpretentious nature of the film. Having said that...

Does anyone know where I can get a DVD/BR of the original Japanese version of KING KONG VS. GODZILLA? I have the Americanized version of it which I find irritating because they probably chopped up the original production and changed dialogue and any number of things...I want to see the original Japanese version (with English subtitles of course). I tried finding it on Amazon but struck out.

AndyDursin

#5 Post by AndyDursin »

Alas you can't find an official DVD or BD of that cut with English subtitles...Toho Japan released it on Blu but they are intentionally English UN-friendly as far as their BDs go of Godzilla films. No English subs or audio on any of them. Plus they're all $100 on top of that lol!

mkaroly

#6 Post by mkaroly »

Crapola! Oh well...thank you for letting me know!

Eric Paddon

#7 Post by Eric Paddon »

Actually I have a boot that is subtitled where the subtitling was done by some local US company that would subtitle the Japanese cuts of other films not available in the US. There'll never be an official US release of the Japanese cuts just like there won't be of King Kong Escapes because Universal controls all US distribution rights and you'd have to see them strike a separate deal with Toho to license their cut I think.

mkaroly

#8 Post by mkaroly »

Eric Paddon wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:28 pm Actually I have a boot that is subtitled where the subtitling was done by some local US company that would subtitle the Japanese cuts of other films not available in the US. There'll never be an official US release of the Japanese cuts just like there won't be of King Kong Escapes because Universal controls all US distribution rights and you'd have to see them strike a separate deal with Toho to license their cut I think.
Interesting, and unfortunate. I imagine the Japanese version does not have what the US version has as its framing story, where we go back and forth between space stations/satellite relays to announce the action. I don't like it...lol...makes no sense with the film (which itself doesn't make a whole lot of sense but it's a Godzilla film).

I don't remember KING KONG ESCAPES...

Eric Paddon

#9 Post by Eric Paddon »

Indeed, the Japanese version is radically different on all levels because yes, the framing device is not there and was done entirely by American editors etc. just like the Raymond Burr Godzilla. The reason the changes were made is because the original Japanese version is actually a satire about Japanese business rooted in a genre of Japanese films called the "Salaryman" comedies and the humor of it would have been totally lost on American audiences. That said the problem the American editors made is that they really didn't get that the film was done as a satire initially and thus here they have these poorly acted bits of "seriousness" playing against the tone of the Japanese scenes.

"King Kong Escapes" is the film where Kong goes up against the robot Mechanical Kong in Tokyo. That one was actually a joint US-Toho production so the Japanese version is really the same as the US version just for the language.