ALIEN: COVENANT (2017) - May 19th

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
AndyDursin

Re: ALIEN: COVENANT (2017) - Release Date Moved Up

#31 Post by AndyDursin »

Blomkamp's ALIENS sequel may well happen if this does well.

AndyDursin

#32 Post by AndyDursin »

Interesting watching the release date shuffle of other movies that were planned for May 19th: the lame looking LIFE moved to March, the ANNABELLE sequel moved to August, and even BAYWATCH was delayed a week to get off the date.

Looking like studios afraid of ALIEN... 8)

AndyDursin

#33 Post by AndyDursin »

Footage was screened for the press today with some publicity talk--
20th Century Fox are currently hosting a number of journalists at a special showcase event in New York. Fox have been showing off films from their 2017 release schedule including War of Planet of the Apes and Wolverine. Of interest to us, however, is what they’ve shown of Alien: Covenant.

As the showcase is literally happening right now, all we have are the tweets from the various journalists in attendance but more detailed reports will follow from their respective outlets over the next few days.

To introduce the Alien: Covenant, a video of Ridley Scott was screened for the journalists followed by 15 minutes of footage from the film including footage of Danny McBride, Katherine Waterston, Amy Seimetz, Michael Fassbender and Jussie Smollett.

The specific story details weren’t provided but Jordan Hoffman mentioned that the Covenant was shown and he described it as “giant & flat” and that McBride’s character wore a “funny hat.”

The general conscious was that the Alien: Covenant footage was terrifying, gore, tense and thrilling. The Playlist described the footage as “terrifying. Throwback to Alien 1 & 2. Looks like full blown horror.” The Playlist provided further clarification about the Aliens connection, saying that the footage contained “lots of nods to James Cameron’s “Aliens.” Katherine Waterston says there are parallels to Ripley.”

Many of the journalists made a point of how gory and intense the film was, something that reiterated when Katherine Waterston took to the stage to talk about the film. She went on to talk about the “ultra gory clips.”

To wrap up the event, the impending trailer was filmed for the assembled journalists and it sounds a lot like the recently “leaked” description of the trailer with Kellvin Chavez mentioning that “the shower scene was killer!” Paul Shirley of JoBlo tweeted the following the description “I think you guys will be happy. I’ll just say this: face hugger. old-school xenomorph.” The Playlist called it “horrifying.”

mkaroly

#34 Post by mkaroly »

Ummm...this one is now going to DEFINITELY be an opening nighter for me! Man I can't wait to see this...I might be setting the bar too high, but I really want this film to be good!

AndyDursin

#35 Post by AndyDursin »

Looking forward to this more than any Star Wars or superhero movie coming out next year!

AndyDursin

#36 Post by AndyDursin »

Merry Christmas!

AndyDursin

Re: ALIEN: COVENANT (2017) - Trailer!

#37 Post by AndyDursin »

Couple of quick observations:

Jed Kurzel scoring...Aussie rocker whose brother is a director. Weird choice, I wonder if Gregson Williams will bail him out lol. But at least it is not Zimmer drones.

Love Katherine Waterston's casting

Noomi is going to be around long enough to get killed off quickly. Just my guess.

Looks like Alien action with some Promethean mystery...

mkaroly

#38 Post by mkaroly »

Looking forward to it!

AndyDursin

#39 Post by AndyDursin »

Watching it through a second time, I wonder if too much reveal was given away in that ad.

Part of me would've rather seen Blomkamp's ALIENS sequel than what this looks like, to be honest. Sex in the shower with an alien nearby reeks of that flipping horrific ALIENS VS PREDATOR - REQUIEM disaster.

Let's hope Ridley gives us more than that... :?

mkaroly

#40 Post by mkaroly »

AndyDursin wrote:Watching it through a second time, I wonder if too much reveal was given away in that ad.

Part of me would've rather seen Blomkamp's ALIENS sequel than what this looks like, to be honest. Sex in the shower with an alien nearby reeks of that flipping horrific ALIENS VS PREDATOR - REQUIEM disaster.

Let's hope Ridley gives us more than that... :?
Scott is all about visceral horror (at least in the Alien franchise) - he is also a bit of a perv. Lol...I think back to ALIEN and Ripley's very skimpy underwear and how it was all about the vulnerability of the character, etc. Maybe he's just going for an amped up version of that. OR...the Alien franchise has turned a corner and we will be getting FRIDAY THE 13TH on another planet. 8)

AndyDursin

#41 Post by AndyDursin »

mkaroly wrote:Scott is all about visceral horror (at least in the Alien franchise) - he is also a bit of a perv. Lol...I think back to ALIEN and Ripley's very skimpy underwear and how it was all about the vulnerability of the character, etc. Maybe he's just going for an amped up version of that. OR...the Alien franchise has turned a corner and we will be getting FRIDAY THE 13TH on another planet. 8)
He has to get Katherine Waterston running around in her underwear or this movie will be a total bust, lol :)

What's funny to me is that he bypassed directing BLADE RUNNER 2049 and opted to do ALIEN COVENANT instead. My guess is that it had to have been a monetary decision. Fox is undoubtedly paying him top dollar, while Alcon, making BLADE RUNNER, may have had certain budgetary restrictions by comparison (Scott's already a producer on BLADE RUNNER but you wonder what his usual directing fee is).

Unless he really just loves making ALIEN and feels he needed to do a straight-up sequel this time around -- which is also possible -- but my bet is the check had something to do with this. 8)

AndyDursin

#42 Post by AndyDursin »

Fox released a "prologue" to the movie -- which was directed by Ridley's son, Jake -- and seems to be a mostly tongue-in-cheek appetizer for the main film (hence the appearance of James Franco, not in the actual movie, and some homages to the 1979 original).

Not sure what to make of it, but at least Katherine Waterston is cute!

mkaroly

#43 Post by mkaroly »

Makes me want to see the movie even more now! Lol...

Monterey Jack

#44 Post by Monterey Jack »

Just like with Prometheus (and pretty much every movie), I'm strenuously avoiding any trailers or pre-release stuff before this comes out.

AndyDursin

#45 Post by AndyDursin »

I am fairly certain you can watch that and not be spoiled. Its not even footage from the film afaik....Intended to be viewed now.