DUNKIRK - July 2017

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
BobaMike

Re: DUNKIRK - July 2017 - Trailer

#16 Post by BobaMike »

I think that trailer looks beautiful, but unless you are already familiar with what happened (which most people aren't), I don't it sells the story well. I can't see this being a massive hit.

AndyDursin

Re: DUNKIRK - July 2017 - Trailer

#17 Post by AndyDursin »

A full 5-minute prologue is screening in front of "Rogue One" at certain IMAX theaters -- apparently it's awesome:

http://www.slashfilm.com/dunkirk-prolog ... -theaters/

Monterey Jack

Re: DUNKIRK - July 2017 - Prologue in IMAX Theaters

#18 Post by Monterey Jack »

Apparently the running time will be under two hours...for a CHRISTOPHER NOLAN movie?! :shock:

AndyDursin

#19 Post by AndyDursin »

Is that official? Interestingly, this article from the Independent earlier this month speculated as much --
Nolan and editor Lee Smith revealed that the film will be told through three perspectives and will feature “little dialogue.”

While Dunkirk's running time is yet to be confirmed, the official screenplay clocks in at 112 pages which, going by the popular held belief that one page equates to a minute of screen-time, suggests that Dunkirk could be Nolan's shortest film since his debut
http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-enter ... 13231.html

Monterey Jack

#20 Post by Monterey Jack »

On the other hand, the new Transformers will be three hours and two minutes long. :o

Monterey Jack

#21 Post by Monterey Jack »

107 minute running time. :shock: :D

AndyDursin

#22 Post by AndyDursin »

Hopefully it's not 95 minutes of explosions, because with the 10 minutes of credits it probably has, there's not much time for historical background or character development. In fact this looks like one of the shorter war movies given its genre.

Guess we will find out soon enough!

Eric W.

#23 Post by Eric W. »

AndyDursin

#24 Post by AndyDursin »

I find it interesting, and maybe a little disconcerting, this hasn't screened well in advance for critics. Especially for a movie like this where reviews typically do help sell a movie to an adult audience, a studio will want to spread "the good word" and conduct screenings out in front of its debut. Instead, Warner is (apparently) lifting the embargo on DUNKIRK just a few days before release, like every other summer movie.

It's not atypical for most studio garbage out there today, no, but it gives me a bit of pause considering the project. That, and the very slender running time too. I know MJ is happy, but I'd rather have a 2.5 running time on DUNKIRK than the likes of WONDER WOMAN. One wonders how much you can cram into a movie like this that probably runs under 100 minutes minus credits (assuming the running time reports are accurate).

I mean, it's not like they need to keep the story under wraps, seeing as everyone knows how it turns out! :D

John Johnson

#25 Post by John Johnson »

AndyDursin wrote:I find it interesting, and maybe a little disconcerting, this hasn't screened well in advance for critics. Especially for a movie like this where reviews typically do help sell a movie to an adult audience, a studio will want to spread "the good word" and conduct screenings out in front of its debut. Instead, Warner is (apparently) lifting the embargo on DUNKIRK just a few days before release, like every other summer movie.

It's not atypical for most studio garbage out there today, no, but it gives me a bit of pause considering the project. That, and the very slender running time too. I know MJ is happy, but I'd rather have a 2.5 running time on DUNKIRK than the likes of WONDER WOMAN. One wonders how much you can cram into a movie like this that probably runs under 100 minutes minus credits (assuming the running time reports are accurate).

I mean, it's not like they need to keep the story under wraps, seeing as everyone knows how it turns out! :D
On a side note, the 1958 version of Dunkirk is due out on 25th September in the UK, on the StudioCanal Vintage Classics label.

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Dunkirk-Blu-ray/180853/
London. Greatest City in the world.

AndyDursin

#26 Post by AndyDursin »

Interesting...
So what’s the word? Well, unsurprisingly, those who saw the film at the press day have high praise for Nolan’s craft. The guy is a master filmmaker, and with Dunkirk it sounds like he’s put together a non-stop, edge-of-your-seat thriller. The IMAX photography is also getting strong notices, as folks point out that experiencing this movie in full IMAX is the best way to do it.

But there seems to be a bit of an undercurrent of underwhelming notices for the characters and story. Nolan’s film sounds more experiential than anything, and there’s no individual standout character. Also, if you looking for movie stars, this ain’t the film—Tom Hardy apparently only has a handful of lines.
http://collider.com/dunkirk-reviews/

Sample reactions:

Monterey Jack

#27 Post by Monterey Jack »

Here's why embargoes are frigging stupid...Dunkirk is one of the best-reviewed movies of the year.

AndyDursin

#28 Post by AndyDursin »

I get it when it's a dumb summer movie, but an embargo on this? Why not get people stoked up well in advance?

Anyway sounds great, I'm actually going to a movie again this summer!

AndyDursin

#29 Post by AndyDursin »

Sadly, I CAN believe someone actually wrote this in today's world. Pathetic.
A USA Today review of “Dunkirk” is under increased scrutiny from industry peers for warning viewers that it lacks women and minorities.

Social media ridicule followed the publishing of writer Brian Truitt’s reaction to director Christopher Nolan’s latest film, a World War II tale about Allied soldiers attempting to survive while pinned down by German adversaries. The columnist gave the film a glowing review while saying its lack of diversity “may rub some the wrong way.”

“The trio of timelines can be jarring as you figure out how they all fit, and the fact that there are only a couple of women and no lead actors of color may rub some the wrong way,” Mr. Truitt wrote Monday. “Still, Nolan’s feat is undeniable: He’s made an immersive war movie that celebrates the good of mankind while also making it clear that no victory is without sacrifice.”

Conservatives like National Review Online Editor Charles C.W. Cooke reacted with sarcasm and mockery.

“It was highly problematic that the British Expeditionary Force and the French army stranded such a monochrome crew,” Mr. Cooke tweeted Tuesday.

“USA Today’s Dunkirk review is officially as absurd as conservative parodies of the social justice crowd,” added The Washington Free Beacon’s Alex Grisworld.
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/201 ... -actors-o/

Eric Paddon

Re: DUNKIRK - July 2017

#30 Post by Eric Paddon »

The lunacy continues. These people are so deranged with their knee-jerk obsession with race/gender etc. that hopefully someday the stuff they write and the tripe they put out will have the kind of disclaimers we're often forced to read or look at today regarding cultural attitudes in old movies/TV etc.