Olive - March Releases

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
AndyDursin

Olive - March Releases

#1 Post by AndyDursin »

I remember seeing MY SUMMER STORY -- back when it was called IT RUNS IN THE FAMILY -- as part of a trial theatrical run locally in Warwick during the fall of '94 I believe...pretty sure MGM didn't bother to release it elsewhere (it might have played here and in Ohio). It's not a great movie but it's a nice companion piece to A CHRISTMAS STORY from most of the same filmmakers.
Olive Films is proud to announce the following March 2016 releases:

Breaker! Breaker! (1977) - DVD/BD
Jinxed (1982) - DVD/BD
My Summer Story (1994) - DVD/BD
The Trip (1967) - DVD/BD
Clean Slate (1994) - BD
Making The Grade (1984) - BD
Kill Me Again (1989) - BD
Bandits (2001) - BD
The Boost (1988) - BD
Undertow (2004) - BD

Monterey Jack

Re: Olive - March Releases

#2 Post by Monterey Jack »

We can get Clean Slate on BD, but not Career Opportunities? :cry:

AndyDursin

#3 Post by AndyDursin »

I hear you. Sadly, it's the difference between CLEAN SLATE being owned by MGM (which needs cash and licenses out every film they have) and Universal (notoriously difficult to license from based on their monetary demands).

This is why the world is filled with Blu-Rays from the MGM back catalog! 8)

Monterey Jack

#4 Post by Monterey Jack »

My Boyfriend's Back is being released on BD, but I still can't get Kenneth Branagh's excellent Dead Again. :evil:

AndyDursin

#5 Post by AndyDursin »

Well it's another movie its studio doesn't care about and doesn't mind handing off to Mill Creek, whereas DEAD AGAIN is probably something Paramount wants for some eventual release of their own (like Universal hanging onto the JAWS sequels). But then again, Paramount and Universal have never opened up the floodgates for the back catalogs on Blu-Ray so who knows when we'll ever see those. :(

The way it works with catalog discs now, the less desirable the title, the more likely it is to end up in the hands of a label (that's NOT a major studio) who would actually release it. It's like the early days of DVD -- small labels releasing major studio product because the big labels aren't interested. Think of how Anchor Bay released so many awesome DVDs in the late 90s and early 00's before the format reached the saturation point and the studios wanted the titles for themselves. Goodbye to Anchor Bay's major licensing deals.

On a side note I kind of like MY BOYFRIEND'S BACK. Deadpan zombie spoof years ahead of its time with loads of familiar faces (McConaughey, Seymour Hoffman, Matthew Fox, etc) in bit parts. The girl in that was also very hot and disappeared shortly thereafter. 8)

Jedbu

#6 Post by Jedbu »

Well, KILL ME AGAIN was a pretty decent noir from John Dahl (what has he done lately) and BANDITS is one of those films that has really good moments right next to ones that make you shake your head.

And JINXED is a movie that lives down to its name....