THE IRISHMAN - Scorsese, DeNiro, Pacino, Pesci - Fall

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
AndyDursin

THE IRISHMAN - Scorsese, DeNiro, Pacino, Pesci - Fall

#1 Post by AndyDursin »

This project has been long in the pipeline but was stalled due to its enormous cost ($100 mil, shades of GANGS OF NEW YORK) and the fact Paramount wanted to sell off the overseas rights.

They've worked it out so Paramount has domestic and STX paid a fortune for international. Now we'll see if Scorsese can wrangle up his dream cast which is supposed to be "enhanced" with heavy CGI for the characters' younger days.
The Irishman was adapted for the screen by one of the best screenwriters working today — Steve Zaillian — from the Charles Brandt book I Heard You Paint Houses, which is the deathbed story from mob hitman Frank “The Irishman” Sheeran about the disappearance and death of the former Teamsters union boss Jimmy Hoffa. Zaillian scripted Scorsese’s Gangs of New York and his credits range from Schindler’s List to Girl With the Dragon Tattoo. He’s been nominated for four Oscars (including Gangs) and won for Schindler’s List.

The film is a marketer’s dream with all the biggest names from the most iconic mob movies of all time. If the deal should close with Pacino, it will be the first time he and De Niro have shared the screen since Righteous Kill in 2008 and before that it was Michael Mann’s 1995 film Heat and (of course) The Godfather, Part II in 1974.
http://deadline.com/2016/05/martin-scor ... 201756232/

Paul MacLean

Re: THE IRISHMAN - Scorsese, DeNiro, Pacino, Pesci, Keitel?

#2 Post by Paul MacLean »

Martin Scorsese directing a movie about gangsters? How original. :roll:

Monterey Jack

#3 Post by Monterey Jack »

Paul MacLean wrote:Martin Scorsese directing a movie about gangsters? How original. :roll:
That's like saying, "John Ford directing a movie about cowboys? How original".

AndyDursin

#4 Post by AndyDursin »

I hope it's better than The Departed. Hugely overrated.

Paul MacLean

#5 Post by Paul MacLean »

AndyDursin wrote:I hope it's better than The Departed. Hugely overrated.
I have to be honest -- I think Martin Scorsese's overall body of work is hugely overrated. He's made some brilliant films (GoodFellas) and some other exceptional pictures (The King of Comedy, Hugo). But I find most of his films clunky and stilted. Even the "great" Raging Bull was to my mind an awkward, skeletal narrative, which played more like a series of outtakes with no tangible connective tissue (I kept thinking while watching this movie "There must be a really good film among the footage they cut out!").

mkaroly

#6 Post by mkaroly »

Paul MacLean wrote:
AndyDursin wrote:I hope it's better than The Departed. Hugely overrated.
I have to be honest -- I think Martin Scorsese's overall body of work is hugely overrated. He's made some brilliant films (GoodFellas) and some other exceptional pictures (The King of Comedy, Hugo). But I find most of his films clunky and stilted. Even the "great" Raging Bull was to my mind an awkward, skeletal narrative, which played more like a series of outtakes with no tangible connective tissue (I kept thinking while watching this movie "There must be a really good film among the footage they cut out!").
You beat me to saying the same thing Paul/ HIs work as a whole is vastly overrated in my opinion, and I think he is too over-exposed in recent years to the point where I could do without ever hearing his voice or seeing another one of his films ever again...lol...to be honest, he has never appealed to me as a director, and I do not recognize him as one of the greats. He has had his moments (GoodFellas and Taxi Driver for my money) but overall his body of work is forgettable.

AndyDursin

#7 Post by AndyDursin »

I third Paul's comment. Goodfellas is one of my all time favorites but his overall body of work is heavily overpraised.

mkaroly

#8 Post by mkaroly »

So here's a question: who are your top five best American filmmakers?

I have to think about this for a while; Scorsese is not in my list, and although FF Coppola gets lots of points from me for the Godfather series (III wasn't all that bad, but it wasn't as solid as the other two), I don't really consider him to be one of America's best directors. I would also not include George Lucas, though I admit his huge influence on cinema cannot be denied. I am thinking maybe John Ford, Woody Allen, Steven Spielberg initially but I have a lot more research to do.

What are your opinions?

AndyDursin

#9 Post by AndyDursin »

Just to confirm the distribution plans on this...Paramount backed out altogether (can't blame them as SILENCE bombed), and as Netflix is paying the freight you'd expect this to be an exclusive for them. Thus very little theatrical play worldwide:
China will likely be one of the few theatrical releases for the film as we know Netflix plans to release in the U.S. in about 10 markets and also in the U.K.
I wonder if it might get an overseas Blu-Ray release at some point because STX is still handling in China and streaming has no presence over there. Time will tell.

Also of note:
And this movie is a plum for Netflix, which was said to have committed to dropping the reported $125M into Scorsese’s lap to produce this film and gave the filmmaker a big payday (we heard around $10M and up to $15M+). The film is getting ready to wrap and still has to be edited and special effects are still to be done to reverse the ages of the actors. We are now hearing from multiple sources that the film’s budget is well over $125M and more in the $140M range (and climbing).
http://deadline.com/2018/02/martin-scor ... 202282355/

AndyDursin

#10 Post by AndyDursin »

Here we go....it's real!!

Paul MacLean

Re: THE IRISHMAN - Scorsese, DeNiro, Pacino, Pesci - Fall

#11 Post by Paul MacLean »

No actual footage -- presumably we are expected to "ooo" and "aaahh" over the cast.

AndyDursin

#12 Post by AndyDursin »

Indeed but at least it has a release date...looks like a simultaneous theatrical and Netflix launch.

Most of the expensive budget apparently went to de-aging the cast for extensive flashbacks that ILM is working on. They're probably still working on it I would imagine!

AndyDursin

#13 Post by AndyDursin »

Trailer's out -- on Netflix with "some kind of theatrical component" (preliminary or concurrent "limited" theatrical play) this Fall.

Have to say -- I guess after all the hype, I am not blown away by the look of this. Al, Joe and Bobby doing their shtick again might be fun to see, but I get a serious "deja vu" sense drifting off this from all of them and Scorsese. DeNiro doesn't exactly scream Irish! Plus the digital effects work...jury's still out there IMO.

Paul MacLean

#14 Post by Paul MacLean »

I hope it's better than Ruby! :lol:

AndyDursin

#15 Post by AndyDursin »

Netflix is giving this a 27-day theatrical window before streaming it for everyone Thanksgiving weekend -- NY/LA on November 1st, "other cities" as the weeks go by.

https://deadline.com/2019/08/the-irishm ... 202704994/