Buck Rogers in the 25th Century Blu-ray Release

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
John Johnson

Buck Rogers in the 25th Century Blu-ray Release

#1 Post by John Johnson »

Launched in 1979 as a companion to the hype around STAR WARS and BATTLESTAR GALACTICA, BUCK ROGERS became entrenched in sci-fi folklore going on to become a firm fan favourite for decades to come, produced by TV action icon Glen A. Larson. Now every adventure is brought together on Blu Ray for the first time in this complete series set, presented from HD masters and including the original TV version of the pilot.

Special Features

Bonus Theatrical Version of the Pilot episode (in Standard Definition)
Bonus Feature-length version of Flight Of The War Witch (in Standard Definition)
Bonus Syndicated 2-part version of Journey to Oasis (in HD)
Opening Titles without narration
Textless Opening and Closing Titles
Isolated Music & Effects Audio Track on each episode

https://www.madman.com.au/catalogue/view/34998
London. Greatest City in the world.

AndyDursin

Re: Buck Rogers in the 25th Century Blu-ray Release

#2 Post by AndyDursin »

Madman is quickly turning into the equivalent of UK's Arrow and Germany's Koch with some excellent catalog releases.

I'll definitely be picking this up.

AndyDursin

#3 Post by AndyDursin »

DavidBanner

#4 Post by DavidBanner »

Is this Region Coded to 4?
Meaning that you'll need a Region Free player to watch it?

John Johnson

#5 Post by John Johnson »

DavidBanner wrote:Is this Region Coded to 4?
Meaning that you'll need a Region Free player to watch it?
I believe so.

AndyDursin

#6 Post by AndyDursin »

Madman's titles I've bought so far have been region-free (the SINBAD set, the PSYCHO COLLECTION box, THE DEAD ZONE), so you may have to wait to find out.

They're also releasing THE NUDE BOMB this summer too...for *ahem* interested viewers. lol

John Johnson

#7 Post by John Johnson »

Also this morning, we have an update for you on Madman Entertainment’s forthcoming Region B Blu-ray release of Universal’s Buck Rogers in the 25th Century TV series (due on 8/17). Madman tells us they’ve committed to releasing the best possible set they can afford to, given the high production costs and tight margins they face, which is why this is a limited release. This isn’t a full digital restoration – Universal sadly hasn’t paid to do one, only to scan the original episodes in HD. But Madmen tells us that the episodes still look great overall. There’s just the occasional scratch and blemish to contend with. They unfortunately don’t have the budget to approach Gil Gerard and Erin Gray to record new interviews and commentary, though they would certainly have loved to, but they are working to put together “the best collection possible using the materials available.” Universal’s HD scans were apparently done with TV syndication in mind only, so the theatrical film and feature-length episodes aren’t yet available in HD. As such, the Blu-ray will include all 39 episodes (in the original 4x3 aspect ratio) with LPCM 2.0 audio, and the following extras:

Bonus Theatrical Version of the Pilot episode (in Standard Definition)
Bonus Feature-length version of Flight of the War Witch (in Standard Definition)
Ending and Opening sequences for 2-part version of Awakening
Bonus Syndicated 2-part version of Journey to Oasis (in HD)
Opening Titles without narration
Textless Opening and Closing Titles
Isolated Music & Effects Audio Track on each episode
Bonus A3 double-sided poster of Gil Gerard and Erin Gray
Easter Eggs include Textless “in show” footage for most episodes

Meanwhile, the Region 4 DVD version will include all 39 episodes (in the original 4x3 aspect ratio) with LPCM 2.0 audio, and the following:

Bonus disc with the Theatrical Version of the Pilot episode
Opening titles without narration
Textless Opening and Closing titles

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/columns/m ... 61316_1230

AndyDursin

#8 Post by AndyDursin »

Some specifics from a forum user on the various elements involved:
Madman can only work with what elements are available from the studio. Having confirmed and reconfirmed, the Theatrical Version of the pilot was not transferred to HD as per the rest of the series and is only available from Universal in SD. Trust me, if it was there and made available there is no reason we wouldn't include it. This likely explains why the planned stand-alone Italian Blu Ray release was shelved as when sourcing from Universal, the elements were not available. Madman's Blu Ray set will feature the TV Feature-length version [of "Awakening"] which has additional scenes. Having watched the 2 part syndicated version of Awakening side by side with the Feature-length TV version, apart from the TO BE CONTINUED caption and Opening re-cap on Part 2, the only difference in the 2 part version is 1 extra shot from Buck's space ship.

Flight of the War Witch Feature-length episode is also only available in SD from Universal as they only transferred the 2 part version to HD for TV syndication. We were hoping to try and re-cut together the Feature version from the 2 part HD elements, but there are additional scenes and differences between them so it could not be done. Again, if it was available it would be included.

Journey To Oasis is available in both the Feature-length and 2 part syndicated versions. Madman will include both versions on the set as the 2 part version has some scenes presented in a different order.

Madman has tried very hard to present the best set possible, but can only work with what elements are available, so has carefully ensured alternative versions and scenes are included in whatever version there is rather than leave off completely. The blunt fact is the cost to master the Theatrical Version and Flight of the War Witch Feature-version in HD is beyond viable for expected sales, and whilst we'd all love to be able to have the perfect release, reality and business sense sometimes prevents this despite best intentions. It is mandatory for work to go through Universal's own labs and the cost is tens of thousands per episode. A distributor can't swallow those costs when the only way to recoup the expense is from retail sales. Universal can sell the title to TV stations to make that cost back, but for whatever reason when the series was transfered in HD, someone chose to exclude alternative versions, likely based on broadcaster needs and preferences. One has to accept that it's a title Universal were happy to license out to third parties for Blu Ray rather than release themselves - from that it's not hard to draw conclusions as to why.

Happily, every story will be presented in HD as originally broadcast on Television - apart from Flight of the War Witch for reasons stated above.

I hope this provides clear information as to what elements are available and Madman's intentions to release the best most complete set possible.

A promo trailer will be up on You Tube soon and the Blu Ray set will include a double-sided "retro" poster of Buck and Wilma, for some nostalgic fun. The complete series set will be a Limited Edition run.

AndyDursin

#9 Post by AndyDursin »

$63 (US) shipped from Madman's site, btw:

https://www.madman.com.au/catalogue/vie ... es-blu-ray

It IS Region B locked for those who dont have region-free players.

AndyDursin

#10 Post by AndyDursin »

My copy has dispatched! 8)

AndyDursin

#11 Post by AndyDursin »

My copy came in on Thursday, what a nice set and a pleasure to revisit this show from my childhood. I don't care how silly it is, it's still more entertaining than most of STAR TREK THE NEXT GENERATION! :D

Paul MacLean

#12 Post by Paul MacLean »

AndyDursin wrote:I don't care how silly it is, it's still more entertaining than most of STAR TREK THE NEXT GENERATION! :D
:o

Get out of my sight!

AndyDursin

#13 Post by AndyDursin »

Well I am half joking. :)

I don't know what it is, TNG produced some great episodes, and I own the whole series, but I still find it a little hard to get into and not very "likeable". It's kind of like a cold fish to me. These old shows (and by that I mean the original Star Trek, Battlestar & Buck) are less serious, much sillier and not nearly as well acted, but frankly, I also find them more entertaining. :|

mkaroly

#14 Post by mkaroly »

AndyDursin wrote:Well I am half joking. :)

I don't know what it is, TNG produced some great episodes, and I own the whole series, but I still find it a little hard to get into and not very "likeable". It's kind of like a cold fish to me. These old shows (and by that I mean the original Star Trek, Battlestar & Buck) are less serious, much sillier and not nearly as well acted, but frankly, I also find them more entertaining. :|
Erin Gray...HUGE childhood crush!! 8)

ST:TNG is like a soap opera for guys...I am totally in to it hook, line, and sinker. Even the bad episodes are worth watching to me.

Paul MacLean

#15 Post by Paul MacLean »

AndyDursin wrote:Well I am half joking. :)
No, I gotcha! :lol:

TNG is "cerebral" fare (with a touch of the Shakespearian). But I agree about the goofy fun of Buck Rogers. That show hilariously captures the popular culture of the time (awash in shiny disco glitz), and how can you not love absurd episodes like "Planet of the Slave Girls", "Vegas in Space" (starring my old friend Richard Lynch) and (my favorite) "Space Vampire" (!) -- classic guilty pleasures all!

mkaroly wrote:
Erin Gray...HUGE childhood crush!! 8)
I have to say I'm a Pamela Hensley man myself...