Buck Rogers in the 25th Century Blu-ray Release

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
Eric Paddon

Re: Buck Rogers in the 25th Century Blu-ray Release

#16 Post by Eric Paddon »

Agree, Ardala was better! :)

AndyDursin

#17 Post by AndyDursin »

Love Hensley but Erin Grey was the bomb for me as a kid too.

Best $60 I've spent this year :)

DavidBanner

#18 Post by DavidBanner »

Bill Hunt at The Digital Bits is saying this release is All Region, so it should play on regular US Blu-ray players.

AndyDursin

#19 Post by AndyDursin »

It is region-free, but the SD material is PAL, so your player needs to be able to play back the latter in order to watch the SD derived segments (like the theatrical version).

John Johnson

#20 Post by John Johnson »

Andy,

Any word on a Blu-ray release in the US?
London. Greatest City in the world.

AndyDursin

#21 Post by AndyDursin »

No, I would just import the Australian release at this point. Deepdiscount has it under $50 and coupons will bring it down more (they usually offer them weekly at some point).

If it does come out in the US, it would probably be Mill Creek and their presentation probably won't have the extras from the DVD.

http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com/buck-rog ... 2225210301

John Johnson

#22 Post by John Johnson »

AndyDursin wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:05 pm No, I would just import the Australian release at this point. Deepdiscount has it under $50 and coupons will bring it down more (they usually offer them weekly at some point).

If it does come out in the US, it would probably be Mill Creek and their presentation probably won't have the extras from the DVD.

http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com/buck-rog ... 2225210301
Thanks Andy,

Mill Creek...I think some of their packaging left a lot to be desired. I think I'll go with the Australian releases, unless it comes out in the UK.

AndyDursin

#23 Post by AndyDursin »

I would go for the Aussie release. There is a UK release coming in 2018 from Fabulous Films but it's almost certainly going to be more expensive, and some of their releases have been plagued by various issues. I bought the Fabulous HULK release and it's OK but the black levels are all mastered too low. Given the masters will be the same as the Australian release's, I'd just go with that, as you know it doesn't have any glitches and you'll save a few dollars.

John Johnson

#24 Post by John Johnson »

AndyDursin wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:41 pm I would go for the Aussie release. There is a UK release coming in 2018 from Fabulous Films but it's almost certainly going to be more expensive, and some of their releases have been plagued by various issues. I bought the Fabulous HULK release and it's OK but the black levels are all mastered too low. Given the masters will be the same as the Australian release's, I'd just go with that, as you know it doesn't have any glitches and you'll save a few dollars.
Wasn't this the company that announced a Time Tunnel release then pulled it?

AndyDursin

#25 Post by AndyDursin »

I don't think it's the same label but I'm not sure. This one almost exclusively releases Universal licensed product, like THE A-TEAM, MAGNUM, INCREDIBLE HULK, and KNIGHT RIDER. Their sets are also pricey...the Mill Creek ROCKFORD FILES was literally half the price (or better) and I don't think there was much of a difference in quality.

John Johnson

#26 Post by John Johnson »

I'm not a fan of the gimmicky packaging, so I'll probably go for the separate releases.

AndyDursin

#27 Post by AndyDursin »

There's actually no difference in the packaging -- the "Complete Series" set has the same regular Blu-Ray cases for Seasons 1 and 2 if you bought them separately. They just come bundled in a larger cardboard box which you can dispose of. There's no advantage to buying them separately unless the price is cheaper.

John Johnson

#28 Post by John Johnson »

So there's going to be a UK release through Fabulous Films, but it looks like some of the extras aren't ported over from the Australian release. No word if the theatrical pilot and Flight of the War Witch are HD or SD.

EXTRAS:

Buck Rogers in the 25th Century'- Theatrical version of the pilot episode 'Awakening’,’Flight of the War Witch' Feature Length version ,'Journey to the Oasis' - Syndicated 2 Part Version in Hi-Definition

http://www.fabulousfilms.com/products/508

AndyDursin

#29 Post by AndyDursin »

I believe the reason the Australian release had those in SD is because Universal doesn't have those in HD masters and the elements were lost in the fire. At least that's the common thinking.