WONDER WOMAN - 2017

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
AndyDursin

WONDER WOMAN - 2017

#1 Post by AndyDursin »

WONDER WOMAN meets GAME OF THRONES meets 300 meets LORD OF THE RINGS meets TROY meets WWI.

mkaroly

Re: WONDER WOMAN - 2017- Trailer

#2 Post by mkaroly »

CAPTAIN AMERICA with breasts and a nice female figure. Lol...

Looks like it's continuing the DC trend of being serious with not too much humor.

Eric Paddon

#3 Post by Eric Paddon »

At first I was impressed thinking, "They're going to go back to the original origin tale!" but then as I noticed it was World War I, not World War II, my enthusiasm deflated. I have no idea if this is based on any comic book treatment of recent years, but it almost seems like that if you have it set in WW1, which is not "The Good War" as opposed to WW2, then Wonder Woman doesn't have to be wrapped up in all the trappings of all-American patriotism and they can just go full-bore-tilt with the uber-feminist agenda. That exchange at the end is a real turn-off.

AndyDursin

#4 Post by AndyDursin »

At last, a movie that shows a strong woman doesn't need a man!

Monterey Jack

#5 Post by Monterey Jack »

AndyDursin wrote:At last, a movie that shows a strong woman doesn't need a man!
...but she still needs a poster that showcases her boobs rather than her face. :roll:

Edmund Kattak

#6 Post by Edmund Kattak »

Eric Paddon wrote:At first I was impressed thinking, "They're going to go back to the original origin tale!" but then as I noticed it was World War I, not World War II, my enthusiasm deflated. I have no idea if this is based on any comic book treatment of recent years, but it almost seems like that if you have it set in WW1, which is not "The Good War" as opposed to WW2, then Wonder Woman doesn't have to be wrapped up in all the trappings of all-American patriotism and they can just go full-bore-tilt with the uber-feminist agenda. That exchange at the end is a real turn-off.

I would say that there would be the uninitiated moviegoers out there riling on it if it was set in the original WWII because of Marvel's CAP. I'm not sure there's enough information to argue about the "Good War/Wood War" theory, but in this day nd age of hundreds of millions spent, their might be some Hollywood types that get paranoid of those comparisons and feel that it would hurt their product's chances of a healthy financial return (Not even considering if the movie is any good or not.)

Either way, I'm curious to see how they handle this. WW has a shield, CAP has a shield. I think it's the way that these folks view this. They probably think we'd get too "confused" over WW being too similar to CAPTAIN AMERICA. Of course, the comic book fans know the origins, but it's the uninitiated sect of the hipster generation that might be confused.

Anyway, the primordial animalistic instincts in me secretly want to see Gal Godot running around the screen in that outfit. Crap, it took me nearly two and half hours of the BvS Ultimate Edition to see her strut her stuff in front of Affleck. For that alone, WW may have me going to the box office.

They probably have to play up all of the qualities that make define WW, so that it appears unique and different from Marvel's creation. Unfortunately, it looks like it means going back to the Great World War I.
Indeed,
Ed

DavidBanner

#7 Post by DavidBanner »

Having just sat through BS at home, I'm stumped as to why WB is continuing to make these movies. BS was way too long, slow and clumsy. The plotting didn't add up, the dialogue was mostly cheesy, and the directing and editing were both irritating and confusing. You would think in 2 1/2 hours, they could construct a movie that made some kind of sense. And on top of it all was the overwhelming sense of self-importance. Literally the only enjoyment I took from this thing was about 3 minutes of wisecracks from Jeremy Irons, who deserves far better than to play Alfred in a movie like this.

I really have to wonder how many of these things need to flop before WB realizes that they do not have a winning hand.

AndyDursin

#8 Post by AndyDursin »

Godot has next to no charisma for me. She's a pretty stick figure, 1 out of a million faces out there they could have cast. As an actress she seems to have precious little talent but, then again, these movies aren't calling on talent to function. You have to strike a pose and that's more than half the battle.

I just hope they aren't counting on Chris Pine to help sell tickets. lol

DavidBanner

#9 Post by DavidBanner »

This entire "DC Universe" idea feels very much like a Vegas gambler who's lost nearly all of his savings, who doubles down on a big bet hoping he can somehow get healthy quick.
The usual result is the old image of the guy wearing the barrel...
I don't feel sympathy for WB - they're doing this to themselves.
It's just odd to see them being this stubborn about spending so much money that they could easily become the next MGM...

AndyDursin

#10 Post by AndyDursin »

That's OK, I didn't want to see it anyway. LOL

http://toofab.com/2017/05/26/wonder-wom ... drafthouse

Monterey Jack

#11 Post by Monterey Jack »

Why do I smell another Ghostbusters scenario, where all of the manufactured, battle-of-the-sexes faux-"outrage" won't be enough to conceal the fact that DC is about to lay another gloomy, humorless egg?

Eric Paddon

#12 Post by Eric Paddon »

Another example of the never-ending double-standard of our society and that's why I know this film is something I wouldn't want to watch no matter how sexy the heroine is.

mkaroly

#13 Post by mkaroly »

I am going to be a little different here, but I don't understand what the big deal is. Yes, I realize there is a double standard in Hollywood, and I understand that if the movie doesn't do well the powers-that-be will complain in the same ways they did about GHOSTBUSTERS being a failure (with all the gross sexist rhetoric they can muster). We know that will be the case. That being said, I have no problem with a movie theater choosing to do a screening of WW for women only - the "outrage" has given it press and has made it into a bigger deal that it was (IMO). It was a non-story until the complaining (IMO). It is one show for Pete's sake...get over it and go to another screening. Or don't support the product. I guess I would understand all the "outrage" if it was being shown only once, never to be seen again. But that isn't the case.

Eric W.

#14 Post by Eric W. »

http://www.businessinsider.com/wonder-w ... iew-2017-5

Then you get glowing reviews like these.

I just haven't cared much for the tone these DC movies have gone for. I'm sure I'll see this at some point, watch it once for cheap, and then move on. I'm sure it's a decent enough flick for what it is but I don't expect anything earth shattering.

Monterey Jack

#15 Post by Monterey Jack »

Wow...a DC movie with good reviews. :shock: :D Makes me wonder why they embargoed reviews up until this point if the critics authentically liked it. It would be a wonderful experience to sit through a DC movie and genuinely have a good time, instead of picking through the detritus and trying to salvage a scant handful of vaguely "cool" moments.