JUMANJI Requel Outperforming All Expectations

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
AndyDursin

JUMANJI Requel Outperforming All Expectations

#1 Post by AndyDursin »

oooo Karen Gillan.....nice. (Oh yes The Rock, Jack Black & Kevin Hart are also on-hand in this re-quel):

Monterey Jack

Re: JUMANJI Sequel/Remake/Whatever Filming Underway

#2 Post by Monterey Jack »

Are people actually nostalgic for Jumanji?! Wow.

AndyDursin

#3 Post by AndyDursin »

Why not? They're resurrected far worse movies at this point. lol

And it WAS 20 years ago...hard to believe as it is. :shock:

DavidBanner

#4 Post by DavidBanner »

Their production office is directly across from ours in Atlanta. I'm on 24: Legacy and our two productions are breaking in the new Atlanta Metro studio facility.

AndyDursin

#5 Post by AndyDursin »

DavidBanner wrote:Their production office is directly across from ours in Atlanta. I'm on 24: Legacy and our two productions are breaking in the new Atlanta Metro studio facility.
Have you gotten to the episode with the mole inside CTU yet? :wink:

DavidBanner

#6 Post by DavidBanner »

I'm forbidden from disclosing anything by the NDA, but I think anyone who's spent time watching 24 will have a pretty good idea what to expect.
In the same way that anyone watching the revivals of "The X-Files" or "Prison Break" would already be primed.
All shows have some tried and true go-to's that they can't seem to do without...

AndyDursin

#7 Post by AndyDursin »

Trailer for this, which seems to totally not understand the original premise and what made it fun. Could be a few laughs but meh.

Monterey Jack

#8 Post by Monterey Jack »

I've never seen the original Jumanji (I was 21 when it first dropped, so at least a decade too old for it), and it strikes me as the kind of movie people only kinda-remember because of Robin Williams and being one of the earliest movies to feature computer-generated animals en masse. I have the feeling this is going to be this year's Independence Day 2...a too-little, too-late bit of franchise synergy that people who were kids when the original came out won't care about, and today's kids will just think looks like every other F/X-addled fantasy movie of the last decade.

AndyDursin

#9 Post by AndyDursin »

I went to see JUMANJI when I was 21 because it got good reviews and was made by people I liked. :|

I'm surprised you've never seen it. Between Horner doing the music and Joe Johnston coming off ROCKETEER, it offers the same kind of solid, "family friendly" fantasy entertainment that fits comfortably alongside that movie. It's not a "dumb Robin Williams movie" and has a lot of heart, a young Kirsten Dunst, and what were superb ILM effects for their time. The film takes itself seriously for what it is, and that's why I think people remember it -- it's not 2 hours of FX and "wacky Robin Williams riffing". In fact he's quite under control for much of the picture.

I doubt this will end up like ID4-2. With The Rock and Kevin Hart on-board, this is likely to make some money (as long as its not completely dreadful), but it doesn't seem to have anything to do with JUMANJI itself other than the title. Then again, it's Sony, and their track record of recent crap remakes (GHOSTBUSTERS, ROBOCOP, TOTAL RECALL, and on and on) speaks for itself.

Monterey Jack

#10 Post by Monterey Jack »

Even back then, I had zero desire to see Jumanji. Maybe it is better than I was lead to believe back then, but I can't be arsed to check it out at this late date.

AndyDursin

#11 Post by AndyDursin »

Does it have an expiration date on it or something? Lol.

AndyDursin

#12 Post by AndyDursin »

Big grosses coming in during vacation week will make this a $200 mil+ hit in the U.S. alone. Has to go down as one of the more successful "belated re-quels" in recent times, and while THE LAST JEDI is making its money, it also left the door ajar for another movie this Christmas.

BobaMike

Re: JUMANJI Requel Outperforming All Expectations

#13 Post by BobaMike »

My 60+ year old parents went to see Jumanji of their own choosing. I was pretty surprised. I asked why, when I remember my mom hating the original when I was a kid. Her answer? She loves Jack Black.

She liked the movie, but said it was a "movie for teenagers".

Eric W.

#14 Post by Eric W. »

Looks like fun. The Rock continues to pick awesome roles for himself.

AndyDursin

#15 Post by AndyDursin »

BobaMike wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:17 am My 60+ year old parents went to see Jumanji of their own choosing. I was pretty surprised. I asked why, when I remember my mom hating the original when I was a kid. Her answer? She loves Jack Black.

She liked the movie, but said it was a "movie for teenagers".
Indeed -- that shows exactly why it's doing so well. They drew a big-name cast that was guaranteed to bring in a wide swath of viewers even though it's still a flick for older kids and teens.

Going to come very close to beating LAST JEDI this weekend.