PIRATES V: DEAD MEN TELL NO TALES - May 26th

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
AndyDursin

PIRATES V: DEAD MEN TELL NO TALES - May 26th

#1 Post by AndyDursin »

Quick teaser shows off Javier Bardem's bad guy and new lead Brenton Thwaites.

Hopefully with new directors (the guys who did KON TIKI) and a new writer (Jeff Nathanson, whose Spielberg work runs hot [CATCH ME IF YOU CAN] and cold [CRYSTAL SKULL, TERMINAL]) involved, this one won't feel waterlogged.

New composer also on-hand with Geoff Zanelli, who did work on the previous Zimmer scores, but will hopefully add something fresh to the well-worn -- albeit engagingly familiar -- PIRATES themes.

Depp returns along with Geoffrey Rush and an as-of-now uncredited Orlando Bloom. Young English actress Kaya Scodelario is the new female lead.

Monterey Jack

Re: PIRATES V: DEAD MEN TELL NO TALES Trailer

#2 Post by Monterey Jack »

Remember what happened last time there was a six-years-later(!) sequel to a Johnny Depp movie no one liked? :?

AndyDursin

#3 Post by AndyDursin »

I'm pretty sure this one is going to fare better than Alice 2. It had better! ;)

Monterey Jack

#4 Post by Monterey Jack »

It's hard to remember a time when the first POTC was a delightful surprise, and we were actually looking forward to a sequel...five movies later, and it's like the only person who cares is Johnny Depp's accountant. Seriously, no matter how much money they made, have you ever met anyone who enthusiastically enjoyed any of the Pirates sequels? Just like Alice In Wonderland, they were the kind of movies that make a billion dollars worldwide before anyone thinks about them and realizes, "Hey...that kinda sucked". :?

mkaroly

#5 Post by mkaroly »

I only remember the first film, to be honest. The other four all run together to the point where I can't tell one sequel from the next. I can't believe they are making a fifth one.

AndyDursin

#6 Post by AndyDursin »

Unlike ALICE, though, I'd say the first PIRATES is really one of the only "big tentpole franchise" whatever-you-want-to-call-it type blockbusters that people really, genuinely embraced that's been made over the last 10-15 years. I'd say it's pretty close to being a modern classic of its kind, and it's certainly more fun than THE FORCE AWAKENS and other "repackagings". At least PIRATES was pretty much its own "Intellectual Property" and offered a fresh formula to work from.

In comparison, ALICE was just a "one off" movie of the moment that -- IMO much like AVATAR -- hit the 3D craze at the right time and had Depp/Burton almost in their prime too. As I've said repeatedly before, AVATAR 2 is going to take a huge drop from its predecessor when it comes out...it won't be ALICE-drastic, but it's not going to produce FORCE AWAKENS like numbers.

The first sequel wasn't bad, I enjoyed it at the time...it's bloated but has a few fun set-pieces. I think it's been damaged because it's so intertwined with AT WORLD'S END, which we all know sucked -- and the fourth film was utterly forgettable if a modest improvement on the disaster of AT WORLD'S END.

So they have that first film to fall back on in the hopes of luring people in and hoping "they got it right this time." Throwing out the writers -- who they kept bringing back for ALL the sequels -- and bringing in new directors can only help...but I have to admit, I'm only paying to see it if the reviews are halfway decent.
I can't believe they are making a fifth one.
The fourth movie, ON STRANGER TIDES, hit $1 billion worldwide. That's why ($204 mil domestic, $804 million foreign!).

The 2nd movie also did $1 billion, the 3rd movie $963 million.

There are few series in film history to hit these kinds of marks. Even if people disliked the sequels -- audiences did go to see them all around the world.

This new movie may not hit those marks, but they were smart to take a hiatus and also stop the production to get the budget in check. It'll have a built-in audience that'll make it profitable regardless of how it turns out.

mkaroly

#7 Post by mkaroly »

Lol...well, those stats make a lot of sense of the whole thing.

Eric W.

#8 Post by Eric W. »

I don't want this to happen but it will. $$$$$$

AndyDursin

#9 Post by AndyDursin »

Super Bowl TV spot:

BobaMike

#10 Post by BobaMike »

Is Depp is so unpopular now that they can't show him until the end, covered in mud?

I wish they'd tone down the supernatural stuff. Each one has had more and more, and has gotten worse and worse.

AndyDursin

#11 Post by AndyDursin »

Agreed on that, but at least it's out in the sun for the most part, seemingly. The KON TIKI guys look like they've brought the sun drenched look of that movie over to this one.

Monterey Jack

#12 Post by Monterey Jack »

No interest...will catch months later on Netflix and forget about a day later. :|

AndyDursin

#13 Post by AndyDursin »

Jack finally gets some time in the final trailer, which looks kinda fun. Here's hoping the new directors and writers get some of the first movie's vibe going again.

My guess is the younger lead in this movie is Will Turner's son, and this movie's plot involves the Dutchman, Turner and his son reconciling seeing as dad's been down at the bottom of the ocean his whole life. Orlando Bloom's been mostly kept under wraps in all the trailers but he's in it, and I'd figure might play prominently.

AndyDursin

Re: PIRATES V: DEAD MEN TELL NO TALES - May 26th

#14 Post by AndyDursin »

Oh man....lol

Great read:

Depp should walk the plank for disastrous new ‘Pirates’.
https://tiny.iavian.net/gz 2