Carrie Fisher RIP

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
AndyDursin

Carrie Fisher RIP

#1 Post by AndyDursin »

Obviously very sad, and very sad that her drug issues decades ago undoubtedly contributed to her overall health problems late in her (abbrievated) life.

On a pure movie-going level, I didn't think she looked "right" in THE FORCE AWAKENS...guess they will have a problem trying to figure out what to do now, seeing as Solo is already gone. More CGI Leia? I hope not.

http://www.tmz.com/2016/12/27/carrie-fisher-dead/

Eric Paddon

Re: Carrie Fisher RIP

#2 Post by Eric Paddon »

Very sad news and I know it has to be devastating to her mother to go through the experience of outliving a child. It's clear that her drug issues earlier in her life made her more vulnerable for a heart attack of that magnitude. I really didn't think it was possible for her to recover given how long she was apparently not registering a pulse from the time of the attack to when the plane landed.

Those of us like myself who were eight years old when SW came out, eleven for ESB and fourteen for ROTJ in a sense grew up with her in our formative years and as such its no secret that how we reacted to her in ROTJ the instant we saw her in that costume was a sign that we had left our childhood impressions behind! But obviously her importance to SW as a phenomena was because she was perfect for the role of Leia and made it her own just as Hamill and Ford did with Luke and Han.

Condolences to Debbie Reynolds and the rest of her family.

mkaroly

#3 Post by mkaroly »

All I can think of is two things: Princess Leia and Paul Simon's song Hearts and Bones, which was about their relationship. RIP Carrie Fisher.

AndyDursin

#4 Post by AndyDursin »

Agreed Eric, when I read she stopped breathing for 10 minutes on that flight I feared the worst was going to happen. :(

Paul MacLean

#5 Post by Paul MacLean »

A woman of myriad talents. Fisher was a much-sought-after script doctor (and improved many pictures with her writing skills). But of course she will be remembered for her significant place in the Star Wars myth, and likely to still be entertaining and enthralling audiences for decades to come.

Monterey Jack

#6 Post by Monterey Jack »

Say what you will about the "rightness" of resurrecting deceased or young versions of celebrities via CGI in movies now, but the final moments of Rogue One have an accidental, additional poignance now.

"Hope..." :cry:

AndyDursin

#7 Post by AndyDursin »

Thank goodness the moral majority of the internet harassed Steve Martin enough for him to take down his tweet about Carrie Fisher. Where would we all be without these crusading , easily offended do-gooders to tell everyone what's right and wrong, what's offensive and what's permissable? The internet is an elementary school play yard of safe space seeking crybabies.

Here's one such example of OUTRAGE:

http://nymag.com/thecut/2016/12/steve-m ... isher.html

Paul MacLean

#8 Post by Paul MacLean »

AndyDursin wrote:Thank goodness the moral majority of the internet harassed Steve Martin enough for him to take down his tweet about Carrie Fisher. Where would we all be without these crusading , easily offended do-gooders to tell everyone what's right and wrong, what's offensive and what's permissable? The internet is an elementary school play yard of safe space seeking crybabies.
What's so wrong with what Steve Martin said? Is it now a thought crime to find a woman beautiful?

People need to relax. I like what Gene Roddenberry once said when addressing an audience of fans in the 70s, as he spoke of his plans for further incarnations ions of Star Trek...

"I will continue to use women as sex objects -- and will continue to use men as sex objects as well."

Eric Paddon

#9 Post by Eric Paddon »

What an idiotic article. How many times have there been young men recalling fondly their coming of age experience with Marilyn Monroe in the 1950s etc. or any other screen icon? That's what Carrie in ROTJ embodied for many my age who first experienced Star Wars at age 8 through the prism of innocent childhood and by the times our lives had nearly doubled when ROTJ came out, we had been growing up with her and now here we were seeing her in a new light that represented our own coming of age in an innocent way. What these PC idiots don't get is how because we'd shared that experience it made us easier to appreciate the totality of her even more. It's not like we wanted to see her in the metal bikini in every scene or everything she did but now that we had, we were a little more capable of appreciating everything else about her in all her other scenes.

It seems like these preening idiots expect us all to be a bunch of neutered metrosexuals who ought to be ashamed for the fact that we were impressed by what she brought to the role and herself. ANYONE can put on a sexy costume or even less of what she wore but it takes someone special bringing her other qualities forth to make that iconic which is what Carrie did.

Monterey Jack

#10 Post by Monterey Jack »

Eric Paddon wrote:That's what Carrie in ROTJ embodied for many my age who first experienced Star Wars at age 8 through the prism of innocent childhood and by the times our lives had nearly doubled when ROTJ came out, we had been growing up with her and now here we were seeing her in a new light that represented our own coming of age in an innocent way.
For a moment of much-needed levity today... :lol:

AndyDursin

#11 Post by AndyDursin »

mkaroly

#12 Post by mkaroly »

They are all hypocrites. These are the same people who embrace and encourage people like Selena Gomez, Kim Kardashian, and any number of other female celebrities who purposefully make themselves "sex symbols" with all the self-absorbed selfies and nonsensical cries for attention as "glamorous and sexy." In addition I don't see any of these people/organizations coming after Miley Cyrus and her ilk who have taken Madonna's schtick and elevated it to disgusting levels (I know I know...it's "art" and you cannot stifle someone's artistic expression...they are still hypocrites). Between political hypocrisy and entertainment/Hollywood hypocrisy I have had enough of the whole lot of them.

Carrie Fisher was a sex symbol, she was hot, her bikini outfit was hot. Deal with it.

Eric Paddon

#13 Post by Eric Paddon »

Well now this is becoming a double tragedy as Debbie Reynolds has had a stroke.

AndyDursin

#14 Post by AndyDursin »

She's gone too.

What a sad and bizarre occurrence...

Eric Paddon

#15 Post by Eric Paddon »

Beyond tragic. I can't think of a single comparable scenario to this involving a famous parent and child.