THE WANDERERS Blu-Ray - March 28th - Includes Preview Version

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
AndyDursin

THE WANDERERS Blu-Ray - March 28th - Includes Preview Version

#1 Post by AndyDursin »

Awesome film, can't wait for the 124-minute preview version! (I'll pass on the Insdorf commentary lol...)
Coming March 28th on DVD and Blu-ray!
Brand New 2K Master!

The Wanderers (1979) (2-Discs) with optional English subtitles
• 2K master of the 117 minute Original Theatrical Cut
• New HD master of the 124 Minute "Preview Cut"
• Audio Commentary by co-writer and director Philip Kaufman
• Audio Commentary by Columbia University Film Professor, Annette Insdorf, author of the book Philip Kaufman
• Back to the Bronx with Richard Price Featurette
• Wanderers Forever - Live Q&A at NYC's Film Forum with Karen Allen, Toni Kalem, Tony Ganios and Richard Price
• The Wanderers Q&A at LA's Cinefamily with Philip Kaufman, Alan Rosenberg and Peter Kaufman
• Audio Q&A at NYC's Film Forum and SF's Drafthouse with Philip Kaufman and Richard Price
• Introduction by Karen Allen, Toni Kalem and Tony Ganios
• Original theatrical trailers and teasers
• Reverse Blu-ray art (Re-release Poster)

andy b

Re: THE WANDERERS Blu-Ray - March 28th - Includes Preview Version

#2 Post by andy b »

Highly enjoyable film & I was with GTO in the UK at the time of it's release & wow did we mop up, this film took a fortune, later released for many late night showings & if I recall it's last re-run before VHS was a double bill with The Choirboys. Really looking forward to this & the longer version as I have never seen that before.

For those who don't know the film, it's worth a viewing & a terrific 1950's soundtrack to enjoy as well.

regards

Andy b

AndyDursin

#3 Post by AndyDursin »

It's an endlessly repeatable film. Kaufman didn't make a lot of movies -- or great movies -- but this and THE RIGHT STUFF are pretty much classics IMO.

John Johnson

#4 Post by John Johnson »

I was more of a fan of The Warriors myself.
London. Greatest City in the world.

AndyDursin

#5 Post by AndyDursin »

They are certainly very, very different movies lol. I like THE WARRIORS fine on a comic-book kind of level, but I think THE WANDERERS is a classic of the entire decade and really has some unforgettable moments. A great film IMO.

John Johnson

#6 Post by John Johnson »

AndyDursin wrote:They are certainly very, very different movies lol. I like THE WARRIORS fine on a comic-book kind of level, but I think THE WANDERERS is a classic of the entire decade and really has some unforgettable moments. A great film IMO.
I wasn't impressed with the revised version Hill put out. Original or nothing for me.

AndyDursin

#7 Post by AndyDursin »

Yes I was never impressed with that revision. You can find the theatrical cut in 1080p on Vudu and Amazon I believe.

John Johnson

#8 Post by John Johnson »

AndyDursin wrote:Yes I was never impressed with that revision. You can find the theatrical cut in 1080p on Vudu and Amazon I believe.
Yes, I've seen it around. Would rather have a release on Blu-ray.

Paul MacLean

#9 Post by Paul MacLean »

Thanks again Andy for introducing me to this movie. I was far-too young be interested in it when it was first released, and then of course it fell into relative obscurity (I had heard the title but never met anyone who had seen -- much less recommended -- it).

It's satisfying as both a nostalgia piece as well as a believable "time capsule", that depicts the zeitgeist of one era (the 50s and the culture of urban of gangs) and its passing away into another (the 60s, as depicted by Bob Dylan singing in the coffee house at the end).

AndyDursin

#10 Post by AndyDursin »

You're quite welcome Paul. This is one of those movies that really sits with you and encourages repeat viewing ... Episodic in nature and alternately warm and nostalgic, weird and surreal, funny and dumb, and also as you said, profound about where it stands and where it's characters are headed in terms of societal change. A really excellent film.