Richard Hatch R.I.P.

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
John Johnson

Richard Hatch R.I.P.

#1 Post by John Johnson »

London. Greatest City in the world.

Eric Paddon

Re: Richard Hatch R.I.P.

#2 Post by Eric Paddon »

Well that is a bit of a surprise. I have been used to seeing such names associated with Galactica leave us like Lorne Greene long ago and then Lloyd Bridges and John Colicos and Patrick Macnee, but those like Richard and the rest you never figured might leave us soon.

Richard did a fine job in the role of Apollo but personally he tended to rub a lot of Galactica fans I knew who met at him Conventions the wrong way. He didn't endear himself to the fans with his ghostwritten novels of the series that were poorly written and showed no regard for story continuity with the series (this I might add is the reason why fans were not too enamored with his trailer project because the idea of him being in charge of a revival where he wanted do the *writing* made people familiar with his novels very queasy) and then after setting himself up as the conscience of the original series when Moore debuted, he then basically sold himself out and revealed that all along it was only his ego driving his agenda (what was mostly unforgivable was how he had used his blog to rip the proposed Tom DeSanto revival project as "not true to the series" when the truth was that he was just pissed off that there wasn't a big role for him in it; then he proceeded to embrace Moore once Moore satisfied his ego with a choice part. I am convinced Moore gave him the role solely to shut him up as a voice for original series fans to rally around).

I am sadly feeling a lot older now as I deal more and more with seeing people who were part of my era leave us in addition to family and friends.

John Johnson

Re: Richard Hatch R.I.P.

#3 Post by John Johnson »

The actor received a Golden Globe nomination in 1979 for playing Captain Apollo on the sci-fi series.

Richard Hatch, the Golden Globe nominee who starred on both the original Battlestar Galactica TV series as well as the mid-2000s reboot, died Tuesday after a battle with cancer. He was 71.

"Richard Hatch was a good man, a gracious man, and a consummate professional. His passing is a heavy blow to the entire BSG family," tweeted Ronald D. Moore, creator of the Battlestar Galactica reboot.

Hatch had been battling stage 4 pancreatic cancer, Alec Peters, the writer/producer behind the Star Trek fan film Axanar, wrote on Facebook. Hatch had acted in and was a supporter of the project, playing a Klingon in Prelude to Axanar.

"Richard was in good spirits when I visited him 2 weeks ago. He knew his time was short, but was comforted by the fact that his son would be taken care of," wrote Peters.

On the original Battlestar Galactica, which ran for the 1978-79 season, Hatch played hotshot pilot Captain Apollo, with the role earning him a Golden Globe nomination for best actor in a television series – drama. In the 2004-09 reboot, the actor returned to the franchise as Tom Zarek, an opportunistic political leader who often shook up the playing field as humanity tried to survive annihilation at the hands of the Cylons, a cybernetic race who rebelled against their creators.

Hatch also starred as police Inspector Dan Robbins opposite Karl Malden in the fifth and final season (1976-77) of the ABC drama The Streets of San Francisco. He effectively replaced Michael Douglas, who exited the show (Douglas' character Steve Keller left the force to become professor of criminology).

"It was hard because Michael Douglas was like a second son to Karl Malden, who was respectful to me, but never warm and welcoming like Lorne Greene on Battlestar Galactica," Hatch said in a 2012 interview. "Even my girlfriend at the time liked Michael Douglas and missed the Steve Keller character."

Hatch also played Philip Brent, who was drafted into the Vietnam War, in the original cast of the ABC daytime soap opera All My Children. Other credits included episodes of Hawaii Five-O (1973-75) and The Waltons (1975-75).

Throughout his career, Hatch maintained a passion for Battlestar Galactica, penning three novels continuing the adventures from the original series. In 1999, before the rebooted show got of the ground, Hatch pitched Battlestar: The Second Coming as a possible revival to the series, producing a trailer for a pilot, though the project did not move forward. Intstead, Moore's now-classic series got the green light.

"When you meet someone with a vision, you have to give them a shot and an opportunity to see what they can do," Hatch said in 2009 of joining Moore's show as the revolutionary Zarek. "I felt it was worth taking a shot with someone this gifted and someone who I felt really loved science fiction and appreciated the genre."

Hatch also became a fixture on the fan convention circuit, hosting Battlestar Galactica panels at San Diego Comic-Con and Dragoncon.

"In my case, Battlestar Galactica was a milestone. It afforded me the opportunity to live out my childhood dreams and fantasies," the actor once said. "Hurtling through space with reckless abandon, playing the dashing hero, battling Cylons, monsters and super-villains — what more could a man want?"

Edward James Olmos, Hatch's co-star on the BSG reboot, on Tuesday tweeted this tribute: "Richard Hatch you made our universe a better place We love you for it. Rest In Peace my friend @SoSayWeAll the Admiral!"

Hatch is survived by his son, Paul.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-v ... -71-973044
London. Greatest City in the world.