This Week's Column: It's Valentine's Day!

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
AndyDursin

This Week's Column: It's Valentine's Day!

#1 Post by AndyDursin »

Quick Valentine's Day column is up -- next week I'll have ONE MILLION YEARS BC and some other exciting new Kino Studio Classic releases.

http://andyfilm.com/2017/02/08/2-14-17- ... tines-day/

Eric Paddon

Re: This Week's Column: It's Valentine's Day!

#2 Post by Eric Paddon »

The Season 1 re-release of "Dynasty" was due to the fact it was put out by Fox years ago when Fox held the rights, and then after they put out S1 they lost those rights to CBS/Paramount who put out all subsequent seasons. This makes S1 available in a new single sided disc pressing (the previous bundle just combined the old Fox release). It wasn't a big seller for Fox since Joan Collins does not appear at all in S1.

Monterey Jack

#3 Post by Monterey Jack »

Got my Valentine's Day weekend viewing planned... :(

AndyDursin

#4 Post by AndyDursin »

Eric Paddon wrote:The Season 1 re-release of "Dynasty" was due to the fact it was put out by Fox years ago when Fox held the rights, and then after they put out S1 they lost those rights to CBS/Paramount who put out all subsequent seasons. This makes S1 available in a new single sided disc pressing (the previous bundle just combined the old Fox release). It wasn't a big seller for Fox since Joan Collins does not appear at all in S1.
Thanks Eric, I appreciate it. How did the rights end up changing hands?

Eric Paddon

#5 Post by Eric Paddon »

It was some kind of contractual thing I've forgotten about but the nub was that around 2008 I think the rights to all Aaron Spelling production shows (not Spelling/Goldberg shows like "Fantasy Island" and "Charlies Angels" which are under Sony control) were slated to go to CBS/Paramount. Fox had released S1 around 2005 and when the deal was announced about 18 months before it went into effect they had no incentive to release another season of Dynasty under their label (even though they could have in that window) so that's why there was a LONG gap between Season 1 and Season 2 the first one released by CBS/Paramount.

AndyDursin

#6 Post by AndyDursin »

Gotcha. Fox would've probably lost interest anyway, given how many series they started to release on DVD and then stopped when sales numbers weren't there.

Eric Paddon

#7 Post by Eric Paddon »

Fox has without question been the WORST studio when it comes to TV series under their control on DVD. For classic shows they only gave us the Irwin Allen shows under their own label and every other vintage title had to be licensed out (Daniel Boone, The Big Valley).

AndyDursin

#8 Post by AndyDursin »

Agreed. Can't imagine how much they lost on LOST IN SPACE, that set is now down to $43 so I can only assume it -- like most of their TV-DVD releases -- missed sales projections.

Eric Paddon

#9 Post by Eric Paddon »

Well even if it was a money loser for them at least we got it!

I will admit that in general I'm just about satisfied with what has been released on DVD so that I don't have any real Grails left still driving me nuts that they're not released other than the second season of "Burke's Law" and the remainder of "Love Boat", "Fantasy Island" and "Ironside." There are a few short-lived unreleased titles that would be nice but in general I don't obsess over what isn't out as I used to a few years back (or a decade ago when we had much less available to us)