TOUGH GUYS (1986) Burt & Kirk - Headed to Blu-Ray

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
AndyDursin

TOUGH GUYS (1986) Burt & Kirk - Headed to Blu-Ray

#1 Post by AndyDursin »

First title to roll out from the Kino Lorber/Disney deal -- fun '80s comedy shot in widescreen, with an early dramatic turn from Dana Carvey (!) as well. Remember seeing this in theaters with my Dad in Wakefield RI's long-defunct Campus Cinema:

Eric Paddon

Re: TOUGH GUYS (1986) Burt & Kirk - Headed to Blu-Ray

#2 Post by Eric Paddon »

I remember seeing it too and at the time being fascinated at two stars from the Golden Age still being able to get a lead film vehicle. That's a comment on how distant 1960 was to 1986 in contrast how films of the early 90s don't seem too distant from us today.

AndyDursin

Re: TOUGH GUYS (1986) Burt & Kirk - Headed to Blu-Ray

#3 Post by AndyDursin »

That's a fantastic point. When I was growing up in the late 70s and 80s, I would get out stacks of old LP's that my parents had, and while they were probably 20-25 years old, they really LOOKED and felt like they were out of a different era completely. Very different, like you said Eric, as things from the 90s that do not seem as "dated"/period-centric today...certainly not like the 50s or 60s did to the 80s.

TOUGH GUYS never made it to the DVD in the US but it did surface overseas. I watched it a while back and it's fun, a formulaic Touchstone comedy that gets by because of Lancaster and Douglas having a good time together. Kirk in 80s attire hitting on women and working out at a gym? That's good stuff lol. Seen in widescreen and HD, it should be a fun view again.

It's just so baffling to me why Disney sat on (and in some instances, is still sitting on) their Touchstone library. So many of those comedies were big box-office hits and yet so many of them languish on their shelves. I mean, 3 MEN AND A BABY was 1987's #1 grossing film -- and it's STILL not on Blu-Ray. Ditto for popular comedies like WHAT ABOUT BOB, DOWN AND OUT IN BEVERLY HILLS, RUTHLESS PEOPLE...if these were in the hands of another studio, they'd have been released on Blu years and years ago.

Instead, they're retaining the licensing of them, while sub-licensing out the lesser titles in the Touchstone/Hollywood library to Mill Creek and now Kino Lorber, whose hands are tied to properties that never got released on DVD! It just makes no sense.