Oscars 2017 - Better Late Than Never Edition

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
sprocket

Re: Oscars 2017 - Better Late Than Never Edition

#16 Post by sprocket »

Give them a break, guys. Who would have thought? Beatty was hesitant in announcing it. Do you really think, faced with that situation that you'd do better?

Watching it, I was very happy I didn't watch the show -- such speeches, ugh. It's all the result of Hollywood politics, anyway, not a true measure of quality.

The hand off to MOONLIGHT was done with class by that LA LA LAND guy. Winner one moment, loser the next. Well done!

AndyDursin

#17 Post by AndyDursin »

Give them a break, guys. Who would have thought? Beatty was hesitant in announcing it. Do you really think, faced with that situation that you'd do better?
Yes. I would have done better. In fact, I think most people in the world with a grade school education would have done better. ;)

You go to an awards show and have one task -- to deliver the winner of Best Picture -- and you're handed a card that says EMMA STONE, BEST ACTRESS on it. You decide to hand it off to Faye Dunaway and let her deal with it? I get that Beatty might have been given the wrong envelope, but how long has he worked in the business, been to awards shows, and probably done this before? No matter what, he especially should have known better.

There is no going about what kind of disaster that was. For the people who made MOONLIGHT, it's a once-in-a-lifetime moment they will never get back. Imagine getting your Best Picture award by having a producer go "it doesn't matter, we lost anyway"? That's something they'll never get back, ever, no matter how "classy" the subsequent handoff was. Their moment -- hearing they actually won Best Picture and being able to celebrate it in kind -- was lost forever and will always be tied in with that mess.

Nobody deserves "a break" for that fiasco, IMO...more like arms need to be broken!! lol :lol:

Eric Paddon

#18 Post by Eric Paddon »

And there is no way those responsible for what happened can escape the satire. Forget Brando's refusal, forget the streaker, forget any other moment this was the all-time gaffe to end all gaffes when the flub happens with the Best Picture your signature moment.
Last edited by Eric Paddon on Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

AndyDursin

#19 Post by AndyDursin »

Exactly. I'm not quite sure the thinking behind 2 envelopes in the first place either. Couldn't they just have 1 envelope and someone at the office looking at the results in case of an emergency?

The speeches were surprisingly not over the top. The worst was Gael García Bernal self-indulgently going off script announcing an animation award by saying he's a migrant like acting in movies is akin to someone picking fruit in the field.

Eric Paddon

#20 Post by Eric Paddon »

Maybe the La La Land fans will start having "Not My Best Picture" protest marches! :)

AndyDursin

#21 Post by AndyDursin »

AndyDursin

#22 Post by AndyDursin »

Eric W.

#23 Post by Eric W. »

Yikes, what a nightmare.

I love the Bonnie and Clyde and M. Night posts.

Monterey Jack

#24 Post by Monterey Jack »

Un-freaking-real. :shock: I realize Beatty's getting up there, but someone REALLY screwed the pooch on this, and someone should have been there IMMEDIATELY to rectify the situation before the La La Land cast & crew were taking bows for TWO MINUTES. :?

jkholm

#25 Post by jkholm »

Some Oscar/box office statistics:

Moonlight is the second-lowest grossing Best Picture winner of the last several decades. Only The Hurt Locker was lower.

Fourth year in a row the Best Picture winner was not in the Top 60 grossing movies of the year.

In the 80s, all but one Best Picture winner was in the Top 12 box office. The Last Emperor was 25th. One winner, Rain Man, was the number one movie of the year.

In the 90s, all Best Picture winners were in the Top 19. Two were number one: Forrest Gump and Titanic.

In the early 2000s (2000-2009), only six winners were in the Top 20. The Hurt Locker ranked 116th, still the record. Only one box office champ: The Return of the King.

The trend away from high grossing winners continues. The King’s Speech and Argo did well, but not so much the other winners. The Artist (71), 12 Years a Slave (62), Birdman (78), Spotlight (62) and Moonlight (101).

I’m not saying there’s a correlation between high box office and quality or even a correlation between quality and winning Best Picture. I think Hollywood still makes good movies but as has been said many times before, it can’t seem to make the kinds of movies that are both popular and win Best Picture.

AndyDursin

#26 Post by AndyDursin »

Those are great stats Kevin. Bears out a lot about what we have said before. Also correlates to the falling ratings for the show itself...Apparently 3rd least watched since the mid 70s? Not sure I heard that right but would not surprise me as those films would not inspire a lot of people to watch. Many good movies have won recently...But not ones I personally would call "great". And several IMO were highly overrated.

Eric Paddon

#27 Post by Eric Paddon »

This may be the only other similar case in Oscar award history where this happened, and with more embarrassing results.

"In 1934, host Will Rogers caused one of the most embarrassing Oscar mix-ups ever when he announced the winner of the Best Director award by saying, "C'mon get it, Frank!" Leaping out of his chair came Frank Capra, nominated for Lady For A Day. Capra was almost to the rostrum when he realized that Rogers had meant a different Frank. As Frank Lloyd won the award for Cavalcade, Capra slunk back to his seat. He later described it as "the longest crawl in history.""

AndyDursin

#28 Post by AndyDursin »

Couple of tweets of note:

Eric Paddon

#29 Post by Eric Paddon »

This afternoon while working I was listening from my vintage radio files the 1957 (1956 Awards) Oscars, which in those days was also radio simulcast. You had Robert Wagner playing the role of radio "host" in which he would whisper observations after an award was announced (much like in a classical music broadcast) and also setting up the radio commericals. The proceedings ran under two hours, and everyone just gave quick thank you speeches of one sentence or said nothing and got off. (Yul Brynner upon winning his Oscar said, "I hope this isn't a mistake because I'm not giving it back!"). Other than the fact that Jerry Lewis made for a poor host compared to Bob Hope, it was a terrific time capsule of how an Oscars ceremony used to be done in an age where you weren't going to hear political speeches (though this is also the ceremony where Dalton Trumbo won an Oscar under his blacklist pseudonym Robert Rich and you hear the cover-up regarding who he is in Wagner's comments and in the designated acceptance remarks)

John Johnson

#30 Post by John Johnson »

Warner announce special edition bluray of Bonnie and Clyde

Each copy includes new collectible packaging, a set of art cards, a copy of Lalaland instead of the main feature and a personal letter of explanation from Warren Beatty.

London. Greatest City in the world.