VALERIAN & THE CITY OF A THOUSAND PLANETS - Besson, July

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
AndyDursin

VALERIAN & THE CITY OF A THOUSAND PLANETS - Besson, July

#1 Post by AndyDursin »

Guess it might be entertaining in a FIFTH ELEMENT-styled overload kind of way. Interesting Eric Serra isn't scoring this (Desplat is) given his long relationship with Luc Besson.

Paul MacLean

Re: VALERIAN & THE CITY OF A THOUSAND PLANETS - Besson, July

#2 Post by Paul MacLean »

Not that I'm a fan of Serra, but I'll never understand how Desplat became the "go to" guy for everyone.

Monterey Jack

#3 Post by Monterey Jack »

Just so long as there's no performance as grating as Chris Tucker in The Fifth Element, I'll probably give this a shot.

AndyDursin

#4 Post by AndyDursin »

Dane DeHaan is apparently the weak link in this Besson brew -- can't say I've much been a fan of his either.

Most reviews say he's terrible and has no chemistry with Delevigne, who's gotten some good notices otherwise. But the movie's dialogue is supposedly godawful and characters hugely unappealing -- with the design and FX being "fun".

Still with a 137 minute run time, I'm going to pass, as this looks like it's headed for a struggle at the box-office. Will check it out on video in a couple of months.

http://variety.com/2017/film/reviews/va ... 202491466/

AndyDursin

#5 Post by AndyDursin »

New Deadline article spells out the massive disaster this turned out to be -- considering it's the most expensive "indie" project ever, it's going to end up one of the biggest bombs of all-time as well. International revenue is as anemic as the U.S. so far.

If you don't want to read the whole article, this comment-section quip perfectly sums it up:
Here’s the business machinations that went wrong: 210 million dollar film starring Dane DeHaan.
:lol:

http://deadline.com/2017/07/valerian-wh ... 202134583/