YEAR OF THE COMET Barry Score NOT Happening

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
AndyDursin

YEAR OF THE COMET Barry Score NOT Happening

#1 Post by AndyDursin »

Hopefully this means a CD is coming of this either way. But, certainly, kudos to Nick for trying, regardless! Certainly would add a ton of value to the package.

From their Facebook page:
Just a heads-up that TT has decided to put back the release of William Goldman's YEAR OF THE COMET (1992) a couple of weeks as we are trying to "clear" one last element for the title - it's a gamble as we might not be able to include it in the end, but we are having a go and it will be a treat for movie music lovers if we're successful...wish us luck!

Paul MacLean

Re: YEAR OF THE COMET Twilight Time Trying To Include Barry Score

#2 Post by Paul MacLean »

It would be awesome if they manage to do this! I'd like to think TT would not make the announcement were it not a virtually done deal.

I am curious tho -- does this mean they want to release it with Barry's score on an isolated track, or include an alternate cut of the film containing his score?

In any case, here's a shot of Barry at CTS studios when he was recording the Year of the Comet score (which was the last time he would ever recorded anything at that studio)...

AndyDursin

Re: YEAR OF THE COMET Twilight Time Trying To Include Barry Score

#3 Post by AndyDursin »

No way to contain disappointment on this one.
6 new titles from TT go up for pre-order today, May 3rd, at 4 pm EST including William Goldman's YEAR OF THE COMET (1992). We had delayed YOTC for several weeks because we were hoping to include John Barry's rejected score, along with Hummie Mann's admirable replacement as Isolated Music Tracks on the Blu-ray, but unfortunately we are unable to secure the rights to the JB score.

The good news is that we have located all of the original session recordings and can confirm they are in pristine shape, with every take of every cue intact. The John Barry music is, as to be expected, charming, and very much in the mode of his early 1990s work - think a contemporary variation on "Dances with Wolves" to give you an idea - it is elegant, luxurious, but perhaps ultimately too lugubrious for the film, which is perhaps why it was replaced in favor of a more upbeat and energetic approach utilized fabulously well by Hummie Mann.

YEAR OF THE COMET was produced by indie studio Castle Rock, whose catalogue has subsequently been folded into WB's massive holdings, and despite our best efforts we have been unable to license the unused score from WB who control these assets. It is our hope that one day a CD of Barry's unheard gem will materialize, but until that day comes there is nothing more we can do at this time.

We are still proud to present YEAR OF THE COMET on Blu-ray as we feel that on the occasion of its 25th anniversary, the film might be reappraised and given a better reception than the one that met it on original release, and the Hummie Mann score is still a delight in and of itself, presented here for your enjoyment.

Thanks for your patience!

Paul MacLean

Re: YEAR OF THE COMET Barry Score NOT Happening

#4 Post by Paul MacLean »

I greatly appreciate the effort...though I wish they hadn't announced that they were trying to include Barry's music and gotten our hopes up.

Still, I am glad to hear that the tapes are in good condition, which means a CD release is a distinct possibility. Plus TT's announcement has reminded people about this unheard Barry score and hopefully generated interest in a potential CD.