Whisky Galore (2017)

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
John Johnson

Whisky Galore (2017)

#1 Post by John Johnson »

Arrow Films has sent us an official trailer for Gillies MacKinnon's comedy Whisky Galore (2017), starring Eddie Izzard, James Cosmo, Gregor Fisher, Kevin Guthrie, Ellie Kendrick, Naomi Battrick and Sean Biggerstaff. Produced by Iain Maclean and Alan J Wands. The film will open in Scottish cinemas from May 5, and the rest of the UK, Ireland and the U.S. from May 19.

Synopsis: A remote island… A shortage of whisky….A ship wreck with a cargo of Uisge Beatha, the water of life.

The inhabitants of a Scottish island try to plunder 50,000 cases of whisky from a nearby stranded ship. A remake of the beloved black and white original film directed by Alexander Mackendrick for Ealing Studios, which was based on the novel by Sir Compton Mackenzie, which itself was based on the real events of 1941 when the S.S. Politician was shipwrecked in the Outer Hebrides leading to a hilarious battle as the wily islanders on nearby Eriskay tried to salvage the huge cargo of whisky on board, enraging the British authorities.

*Director Alexander Mackendrick's original 1949 film was restored in 2K a couple of years ago and is now available on Blu-ray via StudioCanal's Vintage Classics series. You can see our listing and review of this release here.

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Whisky-Ga ... 94/#Review

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=21094
London. Greatest City in the world.

AndyDursin

Re: Whisky Galore (2017)

#2 Post by AndyDursin »

Remakes not exclusive to the USA! I wonder how the natives feel about this?

Truthfully, I haven't seen the original but my dad rented it once on VHS back in the '80s.

John Johnson

Re: Whisky Galore (2017)

#3 Post by John Johnson »

AndyDursin wrote:Remakes not exclusive to the USA! I wonder how the natives feel about this?

Truthfully, I haven't seen the original but my dad rented it once on VHS back in the '80s.
I have a feeling it might be more enjoyable than the Dad's Army remake, but not by much.

The film gets a US release on 19th May. Music by Patrick Doyle.
London. Greatest City in the world.