Mark Hamill *Bleeps* on New Star Wars

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
AndyDursin

Mark Hamill *Bleeps* on New Star Wars

#1 Post by AndyDursin »

Amusingly edited video. Pretty sure between him and Lucas (and probably Ford too) they are all aware this endeavor is creatively bankrupt but The Check is stronger than The Force. ;)

Paul MacLean

Re: Mark Hamill *Bleeps* on New Star Wars

#2 Post by Paul MacLean »

Well he's absolutely right.

I maintain that The Force Awakens is the work of people who grasp the superficial, cosmetic elements of Star Wars (the design, the style of the space battles and other action sequences), but don't understand the characters, their relationships, how their established patterns of character would influence their behavior, choices, etc.

And how can the force-inexperienced Rey intrinsically possess the skills to ward-off Kylo Ren, when a simple "remote" was able to zap Luke Skywalker in the arse? How did this "First Order" come into power? Why do they wear the same uniforms as the Empire did? Why didn't Luke reopen the "Jedi School" and train a new generation of Jedi knights?

I could go on...

AndyDursin

Re: Mark Hamill *Bleeps* on New Star Wars

#3 Post by AndyDursin »

What THE FORCE AWAKENS boiled down to was fanboys going back to watch the 1977 movie again. Whether they knew it or not, that's exactly what they got. All the same dramatic beats, the same principal moments, rehashed in a competent but uninspired manner. It had nothing new to say -- but few cared, because it WAS "A New Hope", just with a new coat of paint and a typical Disney "girl power!" heroine who had all the answers to every situation she found herself in. Like I said before, there's no arc to her story in TFA -- she doesn't "learn as she goes" like Luke, she already has the solution. I'm sure they will address that in THE LAST JEDI (what an original title!) but it's a problem in TFA.

As for those "plot elements" they really never developed...

The Empire (oh sorry, FIRST ORDER) is back? Who cares, just take it at face value --- right? LOL. There's no explanation how it happened, or how it COULD happen after the end of RETURN OF THE JEDI. That's the biggest problem for me, you can't have an epic storyline told over the course of 3 classic movies -- that reaches a finite resolution -- just be "reset" and dialed back to 0 because, dramatically, you can't come up with anything else. But that's exactly what Abrams did. It's lazy, it's uninspired, it's completely predictable.

Of all the "unanswered questions" you're just supposed to accept in TFA, that's the biggest fundamental issue. A few lines of dialogue doesn't compensate for dramatic deficiencies like that. And please don't tell us we need to read some comic book (oh sorry, GRAPHIC NOVEL) or tie-in book that addresses it. It needs to be there on-screen.

I admit it was a lot of fun watching TFA on opening night with lots of fans applauding and "getting into it". But watching the movie a second time at home -- I became bored, quickly. The seams on that film begin to show even more when you've sat through it once and that initial rush wears off. It's in many ways a typical JJ Abrams product, all surface with nothing underneath, and as much as it may have been "audience friendly," it's less honest as a piece of entertainment than the prequels -- which DID attempt to tell a unique story and not rehash their predecessors.