KULL THE CONQUEROR Revisited

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
AndyDursin

KULL THE CONQUEROR Revisited

#1 Post by AndyDursin »

Trying to watch this movie for the first time since it was out in theaters and two things absolutely kill it:

-Harvey Fierstein
-Joel Goldsmith's electric guitars :shock:

It's interesting this movie was written as CONAN THE CONQUEROR and they just changed the name of Kevin Sorbo's hero, but its cheapjack nature doesn't make it resemble CONAN at all -- more an episode of Sorbo's HERCULES (no surprise, same director involved).

Verdict: not as good as the slightly-above-mediocre I remember it being.

Paul MacLean

Re: KULL THE CONQUEROR Revisited

#2 Post by Paul MacLean »

I liked it when I first saw it, though given your assessment Andy it doesn't sound as it's stood the test of time.

According to Ford Thaxton (who knew Joel Goldsmith well) the rock 'n roll angle was imposed on Goldsmith by (surprise, surpise) Dino De Laurentiis, who was convinced such a score would sell more tickets. Goldsmith needed the work and acquiesced to the producer's wishes.

Whatever the reasons, I agree, the "heavy metal" music harms the film enormously.

When I saw Kull originally, I liked Kevin Sorbo in the role -- and more particularly Karina Lombard!

Monterey Jack

#3 Post by Monterey Jack »

What on earth would possess anyone to revisit Kull The Conquerer two decades later? :? At least cheesy, sword & sorcery movies from the 60's, 70's and 80's have a certain lo-fi charm to them, but bad genre movies from the 90's are just plain DULL.

Paul MacLean

#4 Post by Paul MacLean »

Monterey Jack wrote:At least cheesy, sword & sorcery movies from the 60's, 70's and 80's have a certain lo-fi charm to them, but bad genre movies from the 90's are just plain DULL.
No love for Warriors of Virtue? :lol:

AndyDursin

#5 Post by AndyDursin »

I had it sitting on the shelf for the last couple of years (bought the Australian disc for dirt cheap from Umbrella!) and thought I'd throw it on. lol

Though I agree with Paul on Karina Lombard, one of those actresses whose career never really took off but she was fetching in her prime. I think Sandrine Holt was another one of those with vague "ethnic" features (she was in RAPA NUI I believe) who was momentarily popular around that time.