SOLO: A Star Wars Story - May 25th - "I've Got a Bad Feeling About This"

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
Paul MacLean

Re: Ron Howard Named New Director of HAN SOLO

#16 Post by Paul MacLean »

So basically, the strategy of hiring neophytes (whose youth and lack of credits were supposed make them tractable "yes men") has backfired, and the production with be completed by an A-list director with an A-list editor. :roll:

Who will do the score I wonder?

Monterey Jack

#17 Post by Monterey Jack »

Paul MacLean wrote: Who will do the score I wonder?
One wonders, if this happened three or four years ago, if Horner might not have gotten the assignment.

AndyDursin

#18 Post by AndyDursin »

Did it ever occur to Lucasfilm/Disney that Lord and Miller would ever be WRONG for a movie like this? I mean, it's sad enough that these guys crank out THE LEGO MOVIE and 21 JUMP STREET, and suddenly they are at the top of the cinematic world in the 21st century, as if they are touched by artistic genius and can do no wrong. (Yes those movies were frivolous, silly fun, but they are not great movies or anything I'd ever sit through again).

If they had done any research on their habits -- like real research on how they work -- my guess is they would've found out very quickly they weren't experienced with a movie like this and probably wouldn't be able to hack it. But this is 2017, and my god, if you've made CLOUDY WITH A CHANCE OF MEATBALLS, then dammit, you can make ANYTHING you want! :twisted:

That's the side of it that doesn't register for me from the corporate side. It's not that they got fired --
for all I know, they probably deserved it -- it's why they got HIRED for this to start with.

Sure, these guys are the "hip thing" amongst all the tentpole crap Hollywood is turning out these days, but they signed them up for that reason alone, without seemingly understanding how -- and if -- they could, say, ever work with a script Lawrence Kasdan wrote and was producing on top of it. The whole thing sounds like it was a recipe for disaster from the get-go in terms of incompatible material and personalities.

John Johnson

#19 Post by John Johnson »

London. Greatest City in the world.

Monterey Jack

#20 Post by Monterey Jack »

John Powell announced as composer, which pleases me. :)

Paul MacLean

#21 Post by Paul MacLean »

Monterey Jack wrote:John Powell announced as composer, which pleases me. :)
I am pleased too -- but more because of who didn't get the job rather than who did!

AndyDursin

#22 Post by AndyDursin »

Just hope this turns out as well as ROGUE ONE. lol :lol:

Powell's hiring is already a good start at least.

Paul MacLean

#23 Post by Paul MacLean »

Powell's still on board...with the "Han Solo" theme to be composed by John Williams!

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/john- ... 202650282/

‘Solo’ Locks In Key ‘Star Wars’ Veteran (EXCLUSIVE)
John Powell will compose the score for the franchise offshoot.
By Jon Burlingame

‘Solo’ will stay in the ‘Star Wars’ family with veteran franchise composer John Williams set to write the theme for the standalone film about Han Solo, slated for release on May 25. It will be Williams’ ninth assignment.

Williams revealed his involvement in “Solo: A Star Wars Story” during in an interview with Variety about his current “Star Wars” opus, “The Last Jedi.” “The present plan is that I’m writing a theme for Han Solo, and John Powell is going to write the score, which he’ll do brilliantly,” Williams says.

Powell was announced as the primary composer for “Solo” back in July. “His assignment is something I’m very happy about,” Williams adds. “What I will do is offer this to John, and to [director] Ron Howard, and if all parties are happy with it, then I will be happy. … John [Powell] will complete the score. He will write all the rest of the themes and all of the other material, which I’m going to be very anxious to hear.”

Williams has written the complete scores for all eight of the main “Star Wars” films, winning an Oscar for the 1977 original and nominations for three of the other seven. The earlier “Star Wars” standalone, 2016’s “Rogue One,” was scored by Michael Giacchino.

Last summer’s announcement about Powell indicated that it would be “scored in the style of the original ‘Star Wars’ movies but retain Powell’s distinctive voice.”

London-born, Los Angeles-based Powell, a 2010 Oscar nominee for his score for the animated “How to Train Your Dragon,” has also scored the “Bourne” action franchise, “United 93” and a number of other animated films including this year’s “Ferdinand,” as well as the “Happy Feet” and “Rio” movies.

In the new film, Aiden Ehrenreich will play a young Han Solo, the beloved character immortalized by Harrison Ford in the original trilogy and then again in 2015’s “The Force Awakens.”

Eric W.

#24 Post by Eric W. »

I'm a fan of Powell so I like that and especially over the likes of any number of other people they might have brought in.

AndyDursin

#25 Post by AndyDursin »

Sadly a "theme" today doesn't mean anything. It's depressing film music has regressed from Williams' EMPIRE theme to this worthless 4 note "First Order" motif that anyone could have written :(

Paul MacLean

#26 Post by Paul MacLean »

AndyDursin wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:25 pm Sadly a "theme" today doesn't mean anything. It's depressing film music has regressed from Williams' EMPIRE theme to this worthless 4 note "First Order" motif that anyone could have written :(
You're forgetting the other times Williams provided a theme or two!

:lol:

Monterey Jack

#27 Post by Monterey Jack »

Paul MacLean wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:04 am You're forgetting the other times Williams provided a theme or two!

Say what you will about that pile of crap, but Alexander Courage's complete score on CD was a revelation.

Paul MacLean

#28 Post by Paul MacLean »

Monterey Jack wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:13 pm Say what you will about that pile of crap, but Alexander Courage's complete score on CD was a revelation.
It's an effective score, but for me not that interesting on its own.

That said, I'd have given anything for Williams to have written a couple of new themes for Harry Potter 8, and for Courage or Ross (or somebody) to have done the score based on them.

AndyDursin

#29 Post by AndyDursin »

I'm not really a fan of Courage's IV, it's really badly performed and often flat. I think the booklet notes stated it well that even though it had a very peripheral Williams involvement, it actually sounded less like Williams than Ken Thorne's work...and on that end, I find his score for III much more enjoyable than the IV score.

AndyDursin

#30 Post by AndyDursin »

Film is being retitled RANGER SOLO for the Chinese market. No, really, it is, given how badly STAR WARS performs there. :lol:

The Nerd Crew has also given their first "reaction" to the trailer -- this is way too long but a little of it is funny.