All Things CONJURING Thread

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
AndyDursin

All Things CONJURING Thread

#1 Post by AndyDursin » Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:56 am

En route while Warner spins out extremely profitable low-budget cheapies like ANNABELLE ($256 mil worldwide on a $6 mil budget) anditssequel, THE NUN next year and another one after that!

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/conju ... 202478681/

Monterey Jack

Re: CONJURING 3 Hires Writer

#2 Post by Monterey Jack » Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:43 am

Unless James Wan directs, I'm not interested...we all know how Insidious 3 turned out. :(

AndyDursin

#3 Post by AndyDursin » Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:51 pm

Wan will produce but is unlikely to direct another one according to Deadline.

Frankly, Wan obviously did a superb job, and I would obviously want him to return. At the same time, I wouldn't say he is the sole reason these movies were good. The writing and cast were on a much higher caliber than your typical genre exercise as well.

If they have a decent story in mind, they'll probably be fine seeing as they've hired the same writer (who works with Wan), and assuming they stick to the blueprint established in the first two movies. That they haven't "rushed" into these "proper" sequels (opting to make the Annabelle cheapies instead while they spend time getting the script right) can only help also.

http://deadline.com/2017/06/the-conjuri ... 202118723/

AndyDursin

#4 Post by AndyDursin » Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:59 pm

Incredibly, ANNABELLE CREATION is getting good reviews, many pointing out the work of the guy who directed "Lights Out" in saying this film is "infinitely better than its predecessor". 90% fresh...go figure. (Then again ALIEN COVENANT was 73% fresh lol)

I'm not going to pay to see it -- but I'll check it out on video.

http://deadline.com/2017/08/annabelle-c ... 202143757/

Monterey Jack

#5 Post by Monterey Jack » Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:07 pm

AndyDursin wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:59 pm
Incredibly, ANNABELLE CREATION is getting good reviews, many pointing out the work of the guy who directed "Lights Out" in saying this film is "infinitely better than its predecessor".
And it is. :)

-Annabelle: Creation (2017): 8/10

Pre-prequel to the Conjuring films (what’s next…the account of how a witch cursed the log that the doll was originally carved from?) is, like last year’s Ouija: Origin Of Evil, a film that handily trounces the film that preceded it, 2014’s quickie cash-in Annabelle. Like Ouija: OOE, Creation benefits from the steady hand of a genuinely skillful filmmaker at the helm, David F. Sandberg (who showed promise with last summer’s stylish-if-slight Lights Out), and it’s a richer, creepier, more atmospheric spin through the usual, unavoidable clichés of the genre (creaking doors, dark hallways with glowing eyes at the far end, “ironic” use of an upbeat, old-timey song that recurs throughout). But Sandberg has a good handle on how long to hold shots, and when to interrupt periods of luxuriant, unhurried mood-setting with the expected but well-executed scare tactics. Only a clumsy epilogue that ties directly into the events of the previous, mediocre Annabelle film falls flat, and it’s set up in such a way that you could literally hit the “next chapter” button on your player when it comes to Blu-Ray in a few months and skip directly to the end credits (which I would be sorely tempted to do when the time comes). Still, considering how bad this movie could and, by all rights, should have been, it’s remarkable how well-made and effectively eerie it is.
Last edited by Monterey Jack on Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AndyDursin

#6 Post by AndyDursin » Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:10 pm

Nice, I'm going Monday!

Also on track for a big weekend.

Monterey Jack

#7 Post by Monterey Jack » Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:17 pm

It's really well-made, and thankfully bereft of an excess of loud banging and clanging jump scares. Decent score by Benjamin Wallfisch, as well, even if it's not on a level with his great A Cure For Wellness score from earlier this year.

Dodged a bullet by seeing a 10:25 AM matinee, as well...only person in the theater! :D There's nothing like seeing a pindrop-quiet suspense or horror movie with no one rattling popcorn bags, answering cell phone calls and shrieking like ninnies around you every 30 seconds. 8) I had the same luxury when I saw Crimson Peak two years ago. Of course, before the end credits had even finished (stay put for a tease for that Conjuring 2 nun spinoff), some idiot came in with two kids who looked about seven or eight, already taking their seats for the next show! :? Yeah, this isn't an especially gory film, but still.

AndyDursin

#8 Post by AndyDursin » Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:05 am

Wow you weren't kidding. I HATED that ending! Utterly confusing because I scarcely remember the end of the first ANNABELLE (I think I fast forwarded through most of it), so not only was it a downer, but it would be baffling for anyone but a hardcore fan of that movie. How many of them even are there? Was it really necessary to connect the dots with it? Felt totally unnecessary not to mention unsatisfying dramatically.

I thought it was pretty good up until the last half-hour. To be honest, I started having issues with the movie once the girl got possessed. Film seemed to lose some steam at that point -- the whole "Janice is acting funny" thing, and they seemed to rush through all of that in order to get to the climax. And sure, characters always act dumb in horror movies, but this script was particularly silly -- I mean, the demon does nothing but toy with these girls for 90 minutes, then becomes an overpowering force, outright possesses one of them, and rips the bodies of the homeowners apart? Why not do it in the first 15 minutes and save us all the time? (I also got the feeling this was shot for a PG-13 and they just "enhanced" the CGI to up it to an R. Certainly could've been trimmed for a PG-13 with ease).

It has a few effective scares and the performances were all fine -- and I agree it was well-directed all things considered --
but the mediocre script kept this borderline for me and then the end sunk it.

6.5/10