THE CONJURING: THE DEVIL MADE ME DO IT - June 4th

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
AndyDursin

THE CONJURING: THE DEVIL MADE ME DO IT - June 4th

#1 Post by AndyDursin »

En route while Warner spins out extremely profitable low-budget cheapies like ANNABELLE ($256 mil worldwide on a $6 mil budget) anditssequel, THE NUN next year and another one after that!

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/conju ... 202478681/

Monterey Jack

Re: CONJURING 3 Hires Writer

#2 Post by Monterey Jack »

Unless James Wan directs, I'm not interested...we all know how Insidious 3 turned out. :(

AndyDursin

#3 Post by AndyDursin »

Wan will produce but is unlikely to direct another one according to Deadline.

Frankly, Wan obviously did a superb job, and I would obviously want him to return. At the same time, I wouldn't say he is the sole reason these movies were good. The writing and cast were on a much higher caliber than your typical genre exercise as well.

If they have a decent story in mind, they'll probably be fine seeing as they've hired the same writer (who works with Wan), and assuming they stick to the blueprint established in the first two movies. That they haven't "rushed" into these "proper" sequels (opting to make the Annabelle cheapies instead while they spend time getting the script right) can only help also.

http://deadline.com/2017/06/the-conjuri ... 202118723/

AndyDursin

#4 Post by AndyDursin »

Incredibly, ANNABELLE CREATION is getting good reviews, many pointing out the work of the guy who directed "Lights Out" in saying this film is "infinitely better than its predecessor". 90% fresh...go figure. (Then again ALIEN COVENANT was 73% fresh lol)

I'm not going to pay to see it -- but I'll check it out on video.

http://deadline.com/2017/08/annabelle-c ... 202143757/

Monterey Jack

#5 Post by Monterey Jack »

AndyDursin wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:59 pm Incredibly, ANNABELLE CREATION is getting good reviews, many pointing out the work of the guy who directed "Lights Out" in saying this film is "infinitely better than its predecessor".
And it is. :)

-Annabelle: Creation (2017): 8/10

Pre-prequel to the Conjuring films (what’s next…the account of how a witch cursed the log that the doll was originally carved from?) is, like last year’s Ouija: Origin Of Evil, a film that handily trounces the film that preceded it, 2014’s quickie cash-in Annabelle. Like Ouija: OOE, Creation benefits from the steady hand of a genuinely skillful filmmaker at the helm, David F. Sandberg (who showed promise with last summer’s stylish-if-slight Lights Out), and it’s a richer, creepier, more atmospheric spin through the usual, unavoidable clichés of the genre (creaking doors, dark hallways with glowing eyes at the far end, “ironic” use of an upbeat, old-timey song that recurs throughout). But Sandberg has a good handle on how long to hold shots, and when to interrupt periods of luxuriant, unhurried mood-setting with the expected but well-executed scare tactics. Only a clumsy epilogue that ties directly into the events of the previous, mediocre Annabelle film falls flat, and it’s set up in such a way that you could literally hit the “next chapter” button on your player when it comes to Blu-Ray in a few months and skip directly to the end credits (which I would be sorely tempted to do when the time comes). Still, considering how bad this movie could and, by all rights, should have been, it’s remarkable how well-made and effectively eerie it is.
Last edited by Monterey Jack on Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AndyDursin

#6 Post by AndyDursin »

Nice, I'm going Monday!

Also on track for a big weekend.

Monterey Jack

#7 Post by Monterey Jack »

It's really well-made, and thankfully bereft of an excess of loud banging and clanging jump scares. Decent score by Benjamin Wallfisch, as well, even if it's not on a level with his great A Cure For Wellness score from earlier this year.

Dodged a bullet by seeing a 10:25 AM matinee, as well...only person in the theater! :D There's nothing like seeing a pindrop-quiet suspense or horror movie with no one rattling popcorn bags, answering cell phone calls and shrieking like ninnies around you every 30 seconds. 8) I had the same luxury when I saw Crimson Peak two years ago. Of course, before the end credits had even finished (stay put for a tease for that Conjuring 2 nun spinoff), some idiot came in with two kids who looked about seven or eight, already taking their seats for the next show! :? Yeah, this isn't an especially gory film, but still.

AndyDursin

#8 Post by AndyDursin »

Wow you weren't kidding. I HATED that ending! Utterly confusing because I scarcely remember the end of the first ANNABELLE (I think I fast forwarded through most of it), so not only was it a downer, but it would be baffling for anyone but a hardcore fan of that movie. How many of them even are there? Was it really necessary to connect the dots with it? Felt totally unnecessary not to mention unsatisfying dramatically.

I thought it was pretty good up until the last half-hour. To be honest, I started having issues with the movie once the girl got possessed. Film seemed to lose some steam at that point -- the whole "Janice is acting funny" thing, and they seemed to rush through all of that in order to get to the climax. And sure, characters always act dumb in horror movies, but this script was particularly silly -- I mean, the demon does nothing but toy with these girls for 90 minutes, then becomes an overpowering force, outright possesses one of them, and rips the bodies of the homeowners apart? Why not do it in the first 15 minutes and save us all the time? (I also got the feeling this was shot for a PG-13 and they just "enhanced" the CGI to up it to an R. Certainly could've been trimmed for a PG-13 with ease).

It has a few effective scares and the performances were all fine -- and I agree it was well-directed all things considered --
but the mediocre script kept this borderline for me and then the end sunk it.

6.5/10

AndyDursin

Re: All Things CONJURING Thread

#9 Post by AndyDursin »

Official details confirmed yesterday by WB and James Wan:
Warner Bros. sent chills through the Sao Paulo Expo when they revealed footage from The Conjuring 3 — actually, producer James Wan tweeted the new title and logo today. The new title is The Conjuring: The Devil Made Me Do It and features Patrick Wilson and Vera Farmiga reprising their roles as real-life paranormal investigators Ed and Lorraine Warren.

The latest installment of the Conjuring-universe, which opens September 2020, will be based on the Warrens’ real and their famous case of Arne Cheyenne Johnson. Directed by Michael Chaves and written by David Leslie Johnson, the story follows Johnson who was charged with manslaughter for murdering his landlord Alan Bono. He claimed that a demon had moved from 11-year-old David Glatzel to his body and possessed him, making him to stab Bono. Prior to the stabbing, the Warrens investigated Glatzel’s case. Johnson’s court case would become known as “The Devil Made Me Do It” case — hence the title. This would make history as first known court case in the country where the defense sought to prove innocence based upon the defendant’s claim of demonic possession and denial of personal responsibility for the crime.

In the video shown to the CCXP audience, Wilson and Farmiga apologized for not being at the con before introducing the exclusive clip. In it, the Warrens are called upon to help investigate a death that may or may not have been associated with paranormal activity.

The two are in a morgue and lift the sheet off a dead body which is freshly decomposing. Lorraine touches the dead body’s hand to see if she could get a reading — but she can’t.

Scares begin to bubble up when the lights mysteriously shut off. Ed turns the lights back on and Lorraine is in a daze over the body. We see a dark figure standing behind Ed and it turns out to be the decomposed body which begins moving in an ever so creepy way — and then it cuts to the black before you can fit in a jump scare.

AndyDursin

Re: THE CONJURING: THE DEVIL MADE ME DO IT - September 11, 2020

#10 Post by AndyDursin »

Interestingly, this is based on a real-life story that was also the basis of the 1983 NBC TV movie THE DEMON MURDER CASE with Kevin Bacon and Andy Griffith.

John Johnson

#11 Post by John Johnson »

Warner Bros. Pictures/New Line Cinema have confirmed that Joseph Bishara will return as the composer for the horror sequel The Conjuring: The Devil Made Me Do It. The film is directed by Michael Chaves and stars Patrick Wilson and Vera Farmiga who reprise their roles as Ed and Lorraine Warren. They are joined by Ruairi O’Connor, Sarah Catherine Hook and Julian Hilliard. David Leslie Johnson-McGoldrick (Orphan) wrote the screenplay based on a story by himself and James Wan (Aquaman, Furious 7, Insidious) who is producing the project with Peter Safran (Shazam!, The Nun). Bishara has previously scored the first two The Conjuring movies directed by Wan, as well as the spin-offs Annabelle and this year’s Annabelle Comes Home. He also composed the music for Chaves’ feature directorial debut The Curse of La Llorona. The Conjuring: The Devil Made Me Do It is set to be released on September 11, 2020 by Warner Bros. Pictures.

http://filmmusicreporter.com/2019/12/11 ... -me-do-it/
London. Greatest City in the world.

AndyDursin

#12 Post by AndyDursin »

Finally a trailer. Due out in June

Monterey Jack

Re: THE CONJURING: THE DEVIL MADE ME DO IT - June 4th

#13 Post by Monterey Jack »

You know, aside from the first Annabelle and the barely-related Curse Of La Llorona (which was obviously a completely unrelated movie that had one scene with the priest from the first Annabelle added), the "Cojuringverse" is one of the few Cinematic Universes outside of the MCU that has been consistently good over the last eight years. While it's regrettable that James Wan isn't directing this one, I'm still excited. :)

AndyDursin

#14 Post by AndyDursin »

Loved CONJURING 2. That movie really delivered the goods.

Monterey Jack

#15 Post by Monterey Jack »

AndyDursin wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:55 pm Loved CONJURING 2. That movie really delivered the goods.
I originally thought it was a bit lesser than the first (mainly due to its protracted 137-minute spread), but its worn really well over multiple viewings. Always annoys me when I hear people bagging on the Conjuringverse in general and the first two Conjuring films in particular. What, you'd rather have another goddamn Saw reboot...? :?