TOP GUN: MAVERICK - Andy's Review

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
AndyDursin

TOP GUN: MAVERICK - Andy's Review

#1 Post by AndyDursin »

Joseph Kosinski's hiring is about the only thing that remotely interests me on this one. Seems like too little, too late for the most part...but I might be wrong!

http://deadline.com/2017/06/top-gun-seq ... 202123050/
EXCLUSIVE: Paramount Pictures has set July 12, 2019 as the release date for Top Gun 2, the long-gestating sequel to the 1986 hit. Tron Legacy director Joseph Kosinski has been set to helm the film, re-teaming him with Tom Cruise, whom he directed in the sci-fi pic Oblivion. Cruise reprises his role as Maverick, now a flight instructor teaching the young macho pilots how to do it. Jerry Bruckheimer is reprising as producer. Script is by Peter Craig and Justin Marks, along with Ashley Miller and Zack Stentz.

The film has long been in development and got close several years ago with the original director Tony Scott planning to step behind the camera again. His untimely death shelved the film for years. It comes at a good time for Paramount, which is reloading its franchises under new chief Jim Gianopulos. This certainly gives the studio a branded title with a lot of wanna see attached to it.

Eric Paddon

Re: TOP GUN - July 12, 2019

#2 Post by Eric Paddon »

This obsession with doing sequels 30 plus years later and expecting the original stars to carry them......can ANYONE point to a similar example in the days when Hollywood used to make movies right?

Paul Newman and "The Color Of Money" is the only thing that remotely comes close but people who saw that film were not seeing it because it was a sequel to "The Hustler" (it really doesn't play as one).

Monterey Jack

#3 Post by Monterey Jack »

Eric Paddon wrote: Paul Newman and "The Color Of Money" is the only thing that remotely comes close but people who saw that film were not seeing it because it was a sequel to "The Hustler" (it really doesn't play as one).
Ironically, Cruise was the "young pup" that sold the tickets for Color Of Money, but how, he's around the age Newman was thirty years ago. :shock:

jkholm

#4 Post by jkholm »

My interest in this movie has more to do with its setting and possible filming location. I grew up in Fallon, Nevada, a small desert town that is home to a Naval Air Station ("the base" as we always called it.). My mom has worked there as a civilian for many years and I had a summer job at the base. The job was rather uninteresting but I did get to do some cool stuff like get close to the flight line and go to a bombing range. A few scenes in the original Top Gun were filmed there, mostly aerial footage of the fighter jets over the desert. I think the scene in which the control tower is buzzed was also shot there. In 1986 the real Top Gun school was located in San Diego but in the late 90s the school moved to Fallon.

My hometown is pretty small and doesn't seem like an ideal location for a major Hollywood movie (definitely not as scenic as San Diego) but if they want to be realistic, the movie has to at least be set there. My mom once told me several years ago that Cruise had stopped by the base for a tour. I'll let you guuys know if they do film anything at the base but my guess is it will be similar to the last movie and they'll shoot aerial footage nearby.

Eric W.

#5 Post by Eric W. »

Eric Paddon wrote:This obsession with doing sequels 30 plus years later and expecting the original stars to carry them......can ANYONE point to a similar example in the days when Hollywood used to make movies right?

Paul Newman and "The Color Of Money" is the only thing that remotely comes close but people who saw that film were not seeing it because it was a sequel to "The Hustler" (it really doesn't play as one).

I couldn't agree with you more.

AndyDursin

#6 Post by AndyDursin »

Year late, but here it comes...

Have to say the aerial footage looks phenomenal. Between that and Kosinski directing, it should be worth looking at, at least...

AndyDursin

Re: TOP GUN: MAVERICK - Trailer

#7 Post by AndyDursin »

Zimmer and Harold Faltermeyer will be scoring the film together, apparently (or else it's Faltermeyer getting a token credit with Zimmer reworking some of his themes). Beats JunkieXL anyway!

Paul MacLean

#8 Post by Paul MacLean »

AndyDursin wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:39 am Zimmer and Harold Faltermeyer will be scoring the film together, apparently (or else it's Faltermeyer getting a token credit with Zimmer reworking some of his themes). Beats JunkieXL anyway!
This is the kind of slick popcorn fair in which Zimmer is at home. I nothing against Zimmer -- so long as he sticks to this this kind of stuff (not Driving Miss Daisy, Gladiator, Batman, 12 Years A Slave, etc.).

AndyDursin

#9 Post by AndyDursin »

We live in a different world in 2019!

Eric W.

#10 Post by Eric W. »

AndyDursin wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:35 pm We live in a different world in 2019!
Yup we sure do.

Paul MacLean

#11 Post by Paul MacLean »

Eric W. wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:27 am
AndyDursin wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:35 pm We live in a different world in 2019!
Yup we sure do.
Was this picture financed (in whole or in part) by the Peoples' Republic?

AndyDursin

#12 Post by AndyDursin »

There is most definitely Chinese money in it.

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2019/ ... ese-flags/

Paul MacLean

#13 Post by Paul MacLean »

AndyDursin wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:27 pm There is most definitely Chinese money in it.

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2019/ ... ese-flags/
Interesting.

In any case, I'm baffled as to why Kelly McGillis isn't returning as the love interest.

AndyDursin

#14 Post by AndyDursin »

New trailer:

Paul MacLean

#15 Post by Paul MacLean »

Does this mean we'll get an Iron Eagle sequel too?

:mrgreen: