Scream/Shout 2016 Announcements: Don't Get Excited

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
AndyDursin

Scream/Shout 2016 Announcements: Don't Get Excited

#1 Post by AndyDursin »

Scream announced a list of 10 titles at Comic Con the other day...frankly, I wonder if they aren't winding down judging from this lame roster.
We just revealed the following upcoming Scream Factory Blu-ray releases at our Comic Con panel this evening. Here's the line-up that will be coming soon to you in Nov and early 2018:

SILENT NIGHT DEADLY NIGHT (Collector's Edition) (1984) – Ho Ho Horror! The anti-holiday slasher cult classic favorite is being prepped for release before Christmas.

MISERY (Collector’s Edition) (1990) – Hide the sledgehammers! Stephen King and Rob Reiner’s iconic classic receives the deluxe treatment it rightfully deserves.

DRAG ME TO HELL (Collector’s Edition) (2009) – We go more in-depth into Sam Raimi’s wildly-entertaining and wicked soul-cursing hit film.

THE STRANGERS (Collector’s Edition) (2008) – One of the scariest film ever in the “home invasion” subgenre gets an upgrade ahead of its planned 2018 sequel.

CYBORG (Collector’s Edition) (1989) Martial arts legend Jean-Claude Van Damme battles evil in this late 80s post-apocalyptic sci-fi thriller.

AMERICAN GOTHIC (1988) – Often-requested quasi slasher film starring Rod Steiger and Yvonne DeCarlo. From the Director of The Legend of Hell House.

DARKMAN II (1995) & DARMAN III (1996) – First time on Blu-ray! Both star Arnold Vosloo. Jeff Fahey appears in III. Official street dates for both are 11/7/17. Extras are in progress and will be announced at a later date. If you pre-order now directly from our website you’ll get it two weeks earlier! Darkman II: https://www.shoutfactory.com/product/da ... -of-durant & Darkman III: https://www.shoutfactory.com/product/da ... arkman-die

EYE OF THE CAT (1969) – From the Screenwriter of Psycho and stars Eleanor Parker. First time on a home entertainment format!

ATTACK OF THE PUPPET PEOPLE (1958) – From Bert I. Gordon. First time on Blu-ray! Official street date is 11/14/17. If you pre-order now directly from our website @ https://www.shoutfactory.com/product/at ... pet-people you’ll get it two weeks earlier!

AndyDursin

Re: Scream/Shout 2016 Announcements -- Must Be Coming To The End

#2 Post by AndyDursin »

The main label also announced MATINEE, INTO THE NIGHT, THE PLAGUE DOGS and MAC AND ME.

MATINEE is fine and all, but if you're a hardcore fan of this movie, chances are you've already bought the Carlotta release from France or Arrow's UK edition. A little too late on that front IMO...but that is an issue for Shout. They seem to tap catalog titles after every one else, which can't help their sales.

Overall fans seem to be very disappointed. Have to say I agree.

Paul MacLean

Re: Scream/Shout 2016 Announcements -- Must Be Coming To The End

#3 Post by Paul MacLean »

AndyDursin wrote:Overall fans seem to be very disappointed. Have to say I agree.
You don't think Mac and Me is a great movie? :lol:

Monterey Jack

Re: Scream/Shout 2016 Announcements: Don't Get Excited

#4 Post by Monterey Jack »

The Plague Dogs (if Shout gets the full-length international version), Into The Night (Michelle Pfeiffer's only nude scene...? :shock: :D) and Matinee for me. The Strangers, Misery and Drag Me To Hell already have very fine Blu releases , so the new extra would have to be of considerable quality to get me to double-dip at SF prices.

AndyDursin

#5 Post by AndyDursin »

You mean the most depressing version of the most depressing animated movie ever made? lol. One viewing of that was enough for me. Its well animated but man, talk about sapping your will to live.

I bought the French INTO THE NIGHT Blu-Ray for relatively cheap a few months ago. I've struggled to make it through and have fallen asleep on it after 10 minute sections every time...I recalled it being a lot more "fun" than it actually is. Goldblum is absolutely humorless (go figure, Goldblum being utterly gloomy in a Landis film) and he and Pfeiffer, playing it both so straight, at times seem like they are in an entirely different movie than other characters. Landis was apparently going through the Twilight Zone trial and it shows in its disjointedness -- it's a strangely unpleasant movie in pockets and yet Landis and his gang of terrorists do Three Stooges-like comedy with R-rated violence packed inside too. So weird.

Maybe it'll pick up, but the opening third is a REAL slog. Guess I'll find out if I don't fall asleep on it! :lol:
The Strangers, Misery and Drag Me To Hell already have very fine Blu releases , so the new extra would have to be of considerable quality to get me to double-dip at SF prices.
I'd only be excited about DRAG ME TO HELL if it had an alternate ending that didn't ruin the movie. Another one I liked, but have never felt the desire to revisit.

Judging from fan reaction on Facebook, they are going to have a hard time selling a lot of these fairly-recent titles that have already been, as you said MJ, well represented on Blu-Ray already. A lot of disappointed consumers in those selections. MISERY is one of those deals where the Blu-Ray is missing all the DVD extras, so Shout is just going to port over all of those segments (like they did on SPECIES) and probably just add 1 or 2 interviews. If you only care about the movie, the existing disc will be more than sufficient.

I wonder, too, if Shout isn't winding down a little. They used to have review product available of every title for the press -- now it's just "selected" major releases they deem worthy of promoting. :?

And MAC AND ME sucks. People HATED it when it came out -- a box-office bomb, it seems to have appeal only for now-grown kids who were under the age of 7 when it came out.

mkaroly

#6 Post by mkaroly »

I don't have the import of MATINEE so I am looking forward to Shout's release.