DisneyStarWars Next Spin-Off... An OBI-WAN Movie

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
AndyDursin

DisneyStarWars Next Spin-Off... An OBI-WAN Movie

#1 Post by AndyDursin »

Disney REALLY taking some big-time chances!

Hopefully they won't have to fire directors like they have on their first two "Star Wars Stories". :lol:

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/obi-w ... 202531346/
Sources tell Variety that Disney is in early development on a film centered on Jedi master Obi-Wan Kenobi and is in talks with “Billy Elliot’s” Stephen Daldry to direct.

mkaroly

Re: DisneyStarWars Next Spin-Off... An OBI-WAN Movie

#2 Post by mkaroly »

Gee wiz...how about getting the Han Solo movie out first?? :roll:

Eric Paddon

#3 Post by Eric Paddon »

Maybe they have no faith in any of the next films coming out and are thinking, "Help me Obi-Wan, you're the franchise's only hope!" :D

But honestly, like Trek, I keep asking when is ENOUGH ENOUGH? To milk these franchises to death is just ridiculous IMO. The original SW trilogy was a linear storyline with a beginning, middle and end (even if the end was flawed and imperfect to a degree). That should have been the end.

mkaroly

#4 Post by mkaroly »

It is beyond overkill at this point. So Disney wants me to get excited about a movie in development about Obi-Wan when the Han Solo film has had all this controversy surrounding it and is STILL not released??? What's next, a DisneyStarWars wildlife documentary (a la Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom) about Taun-Tauns on Hoth? Or how about a Young Jabba the Hutt film? I mean, this is absolutely ludicrous at this point to me.

jkholm

#5 Post by jkholm »

I'm hoping for a Behind the Music style biopic on The Cantina Band.

AndyDursin

#6 Post by AndyDursin »

mkaroly wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:55 pmOr how about a Young Jabba the Hutt film? I mean, this is absolutely ludicrous at this point to me.
Spoke too soon Michael!
Some of the other standalones in development include a Jabba the Hutt story and a Boba Fett movie.
http://screenrant.com/star-wars-jabba-hutt-movie/

Eric Paddon

#7 Post by Eric Paddon »

Any movie about Boba Fett would represent the ultimate case of making a starring vehicle from what originally was a thoroughly trivial and insignificant character.
Last edited by Eric Paddon on Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mkaroly

#8 Post by mkaroly »

AndyDursin wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:03 pm
mkaroly wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:55 pmOr how about a Young Jabba the Hutt film? I mean, this is absolutely ludicrous at this point to me.
Spoke too soon Michael!
Some of the other standalones in development include a Jabba the Hutt story and a Boba Fett movie.
http://screenrant.com/star-wars-jabba-hutt-movie/
Ha ha ha!!! :lol: I did not read the article you posted at the top of the thread; I just now clicked on it and found that line in it. My bad - so maybe it's scary that I am thinking the same things someone else in Hollywood is??? :lol:

Sorry Star Wars fans, but I think this is the height of overdoing it and frankly, I am completely disinterested. For all the screaming and yelling I did about George Lucas, at least he had the sense to keep things under wraps and never went this crazy with spilling the beans on possible offshoots in the SW universe (if he was thinking about them). I respect him for that!

AndyDursin

#9 Post by AndyDursin »

As I've said before, we would've been better off if Lucas retained control of the Empire himself. He could've produced films directed by others and "let go" of the reins while still at least having some kind of say. Or, he could've just hired Kathleen Kennedy to run Lucasfilm while still maintaining control over the franchise -- which would've been preferable to the Disney Board of Executives.

The prequels may not have been to everyone's liking but they were a more honest form of entertainment -- and ambitious in their scope -- than the warmed-over rehash of THE FORCE AWAKENS and these fragmented "standalones" which look like they are going to be content to filling in gaps that never needed to be bridged.

Disney is going to whore out this series as they're already doing. Gotta have a movie a year, to hell with quality!

Eric Paddon

#10 Post by Eric Paddon »

mkaroly wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:55 pm It is beyond overkill at this point. So Disney wants me to get excited about a movie in development about Obi-Wan when the Han Solo film has had all this controversy surrounding it and is STILL not released??? What's next, a DisneyStarWars wildlife documentary (a la Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom) about Taun-Tauns on Hoth? Or how about a Young Jabba the Hutt film? I mean, this is absolutely ludicrous at this point to me.
I'd see a documentary on the "making of the slave girl bikini". :)

AndyDursin

#11 Post by AndyDursin »

How about one of the peripheral side characters. At least it'd be something fresh(er)!

BIB FORTUNA...The movie?!? :lol: