JOKER - Joaquin Phoenix - October

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
AndyDursin

JOKER - Joaquin Phoenix - October

#1 Post by AndyDursin »

At least it won't be Jared Leto.

Otherwise MEH...Marty must need the money REAL bad.

http://deadline.com/2017/08/the-joker-o ... 54053/amp/

Paul MacLean

Re: JOKER "Origin Movie" Reels in Todd Phillips and Martin Scorsese

#2 Post by Paul MacLean »

Why does a filmmaker of Scorsese's age -- and stature -- want to make a comic book flick?

What's next? A Superman "requel" directed by Woody Allen? (Though that I'd like to see!)

Monterey Jack

#3 Post by Monterey Jack »

Paul MacLean wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:47 pm Why does a filmmaker of Scorsese's age -- and stature -- want to make a comic book flick?
Because his passion project Silence made a buck ninety-eight at the box office? Even the biggest, classiest auteurs need to make some money every once in a while. Anything Scorsese decides to tackle, I'm there.

AndyDursin

#4 Post by AndyDursin »

Monterey Jack wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:58 pm
Paul MacLean wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:47 pm Why does a filmmaker of Scorsese's age -- and stature -- want to make a comic book flick?
Because his passion project Silence made a buck ninety-eight at the box office? Even the biggest, classiest auteurs need to make some money every once in a while. Anything Scorsese decides to tackle, I'm there.
Doesn't sound to me though like he's going to have much to do with this movie...just putting his name on it as a "brand" to give it "credibility" it sounds like. And cash a check on his end, which I can understand given how poorly some of his recent films have fared commercially -- and how much he's struggled to get funding for them.

I mean, he's put his name on his absolute crap recently, like FREE FIRE. Can't imagine he had anything to do with that movie beyond getting paid in a producing capacity.

Paul MacLean

#5 Post by Paul MacLean »

Monterey Jack wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:58 pmAnything Scorsese decides to tackle, I'm there.
But these movies are so studio controlled, there's little if any room for a director to be stylistically inventive, much less express a personal style. Even Thor felt like the work of an anonymous journeyman hack, not the director of Henry V and Much Ado About Nothing.

AndyDursin

#6 Post by AndyDursin »

So they want DiCaprio, which is why they want Scorsese, and want nothing to do with their on-going "DC Universe" at the same time. So they want this BATMAN movie WITHOUT Affleck, and a JOKER movie without Jared Leto (okay I get that, but why plan on making other movies with him?).

Seriously, this is one of the strangest, most convoluted things I've ever read. "Hey, let's make TWO sets of movies with different actors that have nothing to do with each other!" - said nobody EVER.
There's no offer for DiCaprio, and sources say Scorsese's deal to produce isn't even done yet. The chances of landing DiCaprio could be slim to none. But the attempt in itself sends a signal to talent that Warners wants to hire serious filmmakers to make serious films.

This plan was not met with applause in all quarters: Insiders say Jared Leto, the actor who portrayed the Clown Prince of Crime in last summer's Suicide Squad and is slated to reprise the character not just for a sequel but for another spinoff movie (with DC villainess Harley Quinn), was caught off guard by the plans. Leto is said to have made his displeasure with the notion of multiple Jokers known to his CAA agents, and rival agency WME has been using the concern to court him.

Warner Bros. launched its DC Extended Universe to compete with Marvel Studios with 2013’s Man of Steel. The movies have included the poorly reviewed Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice and Suicide Squad, as well as this summer’s well-received Wonder Woman, which was seen as finally correcting a wobbly series. The movies have a through-line not just of stories but also actors, making them part of a superhero universe.

Now, however, Warners wants to branch off with stand-alone movies that are unconnected to that version of the DC world. The new movies will have non-traditional takes on the heroes and villains of DC, and hopefully, attract actors and filmmakers who don’t typically toil in the comic-book movie world. War for the Planet of the Apes director Matt Reeves is developing a Batman stand-alone that, according to sources, will not star Ben Affleck, who plays the caped crusader in the DC Universe movies (Warners and Affleck have denied he is being replaced). The plan is to launch a separate label for these projects to distinguish them from the rest of the DC films. (Warners executives are acutely aware of the risks of audience confusion.)
No,really? :lol:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-v ... le-1034392

AndyDursin

#7 Post by AndyDursin »

Joaquin Phoenix is signed and this one's ready to shoot in September.

Warner Bros. must be mitigating potential "audience confusion concerns" by making this for a very slender $55 million budget. It'll make a profit after a couple of weeks if it actually gets produced for that small a number.

https://variety.com/2018/film/news/joaq ... 202869963/
Warner Bros. has given the go ahead on Todd Phillips’ “Joker” origin film with Joaquin Phoenix closing his deal to star.

Variety first reported that Phoenix was in talks to play the Clown Prince of Crime. As soon as his deal was finalized, the studio gave the greenlight to a September start date with a budget in the moderate $55 million dollar range.

Phillips (“The Hangover” franchise) is on board to co-write and direct the movie.

The standalone “Joker” feature will fall under a yet-to-be-announced banner of DC Comics, which gives the studio the opportunity to expand the canon of the iconic comic-book characters with unique story angles that aren’t included in its current cinematic universe.

Jared Leto most recently played the Joker in “Suicide Squad.” According to insiders, the Oscar-winner will not only will be back for the “Suicide Squad” sequel, Warner Bros. is also developing his own standalone movie that will be separate from Phoenix’s Joker project.

Scott Silver will join Phillips as a co-writer on the film, which will delve into what it took for the Joker to become a mastermind criminal. Sources say the story will take place in the ’80s and have more of the look of a gritty crime drama than comic-book movie.

The Hollywood Reporter first reported the greenlight.

Monterey Jack

Re: JOKER "Origin Movie" - Joaquin Phoenix - 2019

#8 Post by Monterey Jack »

At least with such a slender budget, we hopefully won't be subjected to the usual, numbing "orbiting ring of CGI debris" climax every superhero movie has these days. :)

Eric W.

#9 Post by Eric W. »

Bizarre. Seems like Joker is being run into the ground a little bit.

AndyDursin

#10 Post by AndyDursin »

Looks like DC has their act together again...They must be using this as a springboard into the next Batman I would imagine.

Regardless of what they officially announced, they must have made the decision to dump Leto as soon as Suicide Squad opened (if not earlier!). Smart move on every front.

Monterey Jack

Re: JOKER - Joaquin Phoenix - October - Trailer

#11 Post by Monterey Jack »

So, would this be the Joaquer…? :wink:

AndyDursin

#12 Post by AndyDursin »

lol I like it!

Paul MacLean

#13 Post by Paul MacLean »

Just when I thought comic book movies coudln't get any more pretentious.

AndyDursin

#14 Post by AndyDursin »

It's funny, DC has said these movies now aren't necessarily part of some larger universe -- but setting the course for the new Batman series? I wouldn't doubt it. It would be extremely odd to introduce a brand new Joker and then do nothing with him again...especially when there's a brand new Batman coming right around the corner. Plus, this Joker movie is set in the 80s. The next Batman is rumored to be set in the 90s. If true, I can't imagine that's a coincidence.

At this point I wouldn't expect them to make a big deal out of it, especially not when they are playing down the "connectivity" of all of these films (which is fine with me, I'd rather see standalone cinematic works than new episodes of a big-screen TV show, which is what the Marvel-produced films often feel like in their "sameness"). Still, you have to figure they knew what they were doing when they announced this movie and dumped Leto so quickly -- clearly it was part of a larger plan to wipe the slate clean without outright admitting that the Snyder-verse was finished.

Eric W.

#15 Post by Eric W. »

I still stand by my earlier post of Joker being run in the ground.

That being said: This is inspired casting really.