TERMINATOR: DARK FATE - November 1st - Headed For $100+ Million Loss

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
AndyDursin

TERMINATOR: DARK FATE - November 1st - Headed For $100+ Million Loss

#1 Post by AndyDursin »

Here we go again...

James Cameron announced today that Arnold and Linda Hamilton are officially onboard for his own reboot of the series, being directed by Tim Story. The two were interviewed by the Hollywood Reporter:

Direct video link -- this is where TERMINATOR is specifically discussed:

http://players.brightcove.net/769341148 ... 9756447001

Monterey Jack

Re: TERMINATOR Cameron's Sequel - Linda Hamilton, Arnold Cast

#2 Post by Monterey Jack »

Can't say I'm pleased about the prospect of this one ignoring the continuity of the post-T2 sequels, as I'm one of those apparent genetic mutants who have enjoyed each and every movie in the series (and really enjoyed Emilia Clarke's turn as Sarah Connor in the underrated Genysis :D). I mean, a "real" sequel to Cameron's Aliens that ignored Alien 3 and Resurrection? Hell yeah, I would have seen that in a heartbeat. But, for all the fanboy grousing that the later Terminator sequels somehow "don't count" unless Cameron is directing, all of those later sequels, flaws and all, still delivered plenty of high-octane action fun, and even held together (somewhat) in terms of overall continuity.

AndyDursin

Re: TERMINATOR Cameron's Sequel - Linda Hamilton, Arnold Cast

#3 Post by AndyDursin »

Time travel always opens the door for an easy way in to press the reset button, but unless Cameron has something really, really fresh to say, the fact is this series has really exhausted itself. They've made the "Judgement Day" film, the post-apocalyptic one, and the trip back to the '80s -- with Arnold in tow. There's really nothing left there, unless it's a radically new concept or something truly different...not after 5 total movies and a TV series.

That Arnold's back -- again -- and Linda Hamilton too just doesn't bring a lot of impact now, but like you MJ, I've been entertained by all the installments in this series (especially the underrated 3 and 4), so I'll be seeing it regardless!

Release date is set for July 2019, so things will be ramping up shortly. Paramount will be releasing it in the U.S. with Fox handling overseas (just like TITANIC lol). Skydance is producing with Cameron -- the same people who made GENISYS...this time they're planning on a trilogy that I'm sure they hope actually gets made this time.
The Terminator is officially back. The sixth installment of the “Terminator” franchise hits theaters on July 26, 2019.

Paramount Pictures made the announcement on Wednesday. Linda Hamilton will be returning as Sarah Connor, with Arnold Schwarzenegger also on board to reprise the role of his iconic cyborg. The sequel will be produced by Skydance and series creator James Cameron. The upcoming film will mark the first time that Hamilton, Schwarzenegger, and Cameron will be working together on the franchise since 1991’s “Terminator 2: Judgment Day.”

Paramount Pictures is distributing, with 20th Century Fox handling the movie internationally. “Deadpool” director Tim Miller will helm the sequel.

The untitled film will be based on a story by Cameron and Miller from a script being developed by David Goyer and Josh Friedman as part of what is planned to be a trilogy.

Plot details are being kept under wraps, although Cameron has said that the film will be a direct sequel to “Terminator 2: Judgment Day.”

AndyDursin

Re: New TERMINATOR - July 26, 2019

#4 Post by AndyDursin »

Funny this news made me drag out TERMINATOR 3. What an underrated, perfectly entertaining sequel. I liked the dynamic between Nick Stahl and Claire Danes -- wish there had been more of her character in 4 (and her as well, instead of Bryce Dallas Howard).

The Sony Blu-Ray I watched (finally) from overseas is a big upgrade on Warner's US release -- much higher bit-rate, better encoding (AVC vs. VC-1) and superior audio on top of it. You can find it cheap from the UK or elsewhere. The Warner release is an early format disc that's a total joke in terms of its disc size and soundtrack by modern standards.

Eric W.

#5 Post by Eric W. »

I've enjoyed all the installements on their own merits.

I agree that unless Cameron lights the world on fire that this series has largely run its course. Definitely looks and feels like yet another way after the fact/ too late sequel right down to borderline geriatrics leads. C'mon, enough of this.

AndyDursin

#6 Post by AndyDursin »

Casting 3 Latino actors -- if they're all major roles (and obviously one of them is!) -- suggests there's a definite thrust here to market this new movie to Spanish speaking markets. I don't know how TERMINATOR GENISYS fared overall in South America, Mexico, etc., but it's interesting.
EXCLUSIVE: The search for a new Terminator to take over the first sanctioned Jim Cameron reboot since the original, is over. Director Tim Miller and producer Cameron have tapped Gabriel Luna for the role. Luna is best known for starring as Robbie Reyes/Ghost Rider on the ABC action superhero series Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D, as well as the El Rey Network drama series Matador. On the film side, he starred in the films Freeheld and Transpecos.

Natalia Reyes (Lady, La Vendedora de Rosas) and Diego Boneta (Scream Queens) also have been set to star in the film.

The Terminator was resurrected by Skydance’s David Ellison in concert with James Cameron, who gets back a lot of the reversion rights to the original 1984 movie, next year. They’ve tapped Tim Miller, the Deadpool director. Luna joins Blade Runner 2049‘s Mackenzie Davis, Diego Boneta and returning cast members Arnold Schwarzenegger and Linda Hamilton, with David Goyer writing the script. Pic’s a coproduction between Skydance, Paramount and Fox. Paramount releases the film domestically and Fox internationally on November 22, 2019.

Reyes is best known for her starring role in Sony’s hit Latin America series Lady, La Vendedora de Rosas and as one of the stars of Peter Webber’s Netflix original film Pickpockets. She also stars in Ciro Guerra’s upcoming Birds of Passage. She’s repped by Vision Entertainment and Maria Clara Lopez.

Mexico-born Boneta made his feature debut in the musical Rock of Ages. He currently stars in The Titan, a Netflix sci-fi thriller with Sam Worthington, and next toplines Luis Miguel: La Serie, Netflix’s Spanish-language biopic series that tells of the story of one of the biggest singers from Latin America.
http://deadline.com/2018/04/the-termina ... 202364049/

AndyDursin

Re: TERMINATOR Reboot - November 22, 2019 - Diego Luna Nabs Title Role

#7 Post by AndyDursin »

Magnifico grosses expected in Mexico...certainly going after that market HARD.

AndyDursin

#8 Post by AndyDursin »

Publicity shot of the female leads in action...

Me gusta Mackenzie Davis :D

https://deadline.com/2018/08/terminator ... 202438147/

AndyDursin

#9 Post by AndyDursin »

Monterey Jack

Re: TERMINATOR: DARK FATE - November 1st

#10 Post by Monterey Jack »

Drew McWeeny talking smack about the movie on Twitter, and this the man who gave an A+ to Man Of Steel. :lol:

Funny how everyone's bagging on "yet another Terminator", and yet these same people creamed their shorts over last year's Halloween, the latest revival of a truly worn-out franchise with FAR less leeway for narrative exploration. :?

AndyDursin

#11 Post by AndyDursin »

I liked Halloween more than you did, but there are limits to what you can do with any slasher movie. Guy walks around with a knife or a mask -- what in the world can you do with that kind of character to make the "mythology" more interesting? They've maxed it out.

People, for whatever reason, have been bagging on TERMINATOR ever since 3 came out. Several of us here like all the films in this series -- and having watched 3 and 4 recently, Salvation holds up quite well (3 is fine but the second hour of it I found tedious during this last revisit -- it's just one long extended chase. Does a good job setting up the whole scenario in the first hour but needed more development).

I hope this film is decent -- and it may well be, even with the seemingly transparent attempt to capture "south of the border" box-office with a heavily Latino cast. Mackenzie Davis is quite compelling in a quirky kind of way (especially in her role on Halt and Catch Fire), and I can see her keeping my attention if she's the lead. lol I just hope the appearances of Arnold and Hamilton aren't of the "show up for 10 minutes and die" variety. Then again, even if they do, it's time travel so anything is possible! 8)

AndyDursin

#12 Post by AndyDursin »

Trailer's out tomorrow...did they have enough screenwriters on this!?

AndyDursin

#13 Post by AndyDursin »

That....is not a good trailer.

Yet another "Girl Power" remake isn't exactly what I had in mind, but on the surface that seems to be what we got (Mackenzie Davis' character subs for Kyle Reese; young Latina girl in for John Connor). Maybe the film will be better than it appears, but as of now, looks like Cameron just slapped his name on yet another rote recycling with a "story" credit shared amongst a half-dozen writers, with the movie a) switching out genders and b) clearly trying to get traction in the Latin-American market with the casting of the two leads. Sounds like a cynical ploy but there seems to be little fresh from the looks of it.

Also hope those pedestrian looking FX aren't finished yet :shock:

mkaroly

Re: TERMINATOR: DARK FATE - November 1st - Trailer

#14 Post by mkaroly »

Music for trailers has gotten progressively worse...yikes!

AndyDursin

Re: TERMINATOR: DARK FATE - November 1st - Trailer

#15 Post by AndyDursin »

Bad news: the music for the movie isn't going to be much better! (Junkie XL)

Reaction for this trailer is mostly negative (putting it mildly) and I'd say right off they are in serious trouble already. If someone told me they were making a TERMINATOR sequel for Netflix and weren't spending a ton of money, this is what I'd expect it to look like. Warmed-over rehash with a "modern diversity/gender vibe" and "Guest Stars" Arnold and Linda Hamilton. Nothing fresh, nothing new, in terms of the plot, or the action, or the FX.

Everything about that trailer smacks of cashing the check for Cameron, despite his added "involvement". I mildly enjoyed GENISYS but expected this one to "raise the game" from all the hype -- and bring something substantial to the table -- instead it looks JUST LIKE IT (and arguably not as good).

If it turns out OK then it's all on Paramount's PR department, but...somehow I doubt it. If you can't package an attractive 2 minutes together, you've got problems.