COMING TO AMERICA 2 - Don't Ask Why...

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
AndyDursin

COMING TO AMERICA 2 - Don't Ask Why...

#1 Post by AndyDursin »

Way-too-late sequel to probably the highest grossing movie ever made that wasn't screened for critics! (weirdly, given how decent it turned out to be...)

http://deadline.com/2017/09/coming-to-a ... 202178522/

Paul MacLean

Re: COMING TO AMERICA 2 - Don't Ask Why...

#2 Post by Paul MacLean »

I've always felt Coming to America was one of Landis' best films. I just wish Elmer had done the score.

AndyDursin

#3 Post by AndyDursin »

I liked it also. Not sure though what the point is with this...especially a comedy sequel at this stage? Weird.

Monterey Jack

#4 Post by Monterey Jack »

AndyDursin wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:59 am I liked it also. Not sure though what the point is with this...especially a comedy sequel at this stage? Weird.
A remake would make much more sense this far away from the original. And yeah, there's been a rash of decades-later sequels to 80's movies lately, but, as much money as Coming To America made, it isn't as fondly-remembered as other 80's Eddie Murphy vehicles like Beverly Hills Cop, Trading Places or 48 Hrs..

That said, Coming To America has one of the best "cinematic universe" in-joke gags I can remember from my childhood ("We're back!" :lol: ).

AndyDursin

#5 Post by AndyDursin »

BEVERLY HILLS COP is probably the pinnacle of Murphy's "franchise" popularity and look how many times they've attempted to make another one -- a movie, then a TV series, then a movie again, and none of it has ever panned out. It'd be ironic if COMING TO AMERICA is the one that actually gets a follow-up, though the budget is probably a whole lot less than COP so from that standpoint, I guess it's more feasible. What it does reaffirm is Hollywood doesn't make these kinds of comedies anymore, which makes it being in development a real surprise. But, I do think it has some kind of a following -- probably more at this stage than TRADING PLACES, which obviously is a good movie, although I honestly found it kind of dull the last time I watched it. COMING TO AMERICA has aged better at least.

One other thing about COMING TO AMERICA -- it was always one of the lightest R rated movies of its day. A typical PG-13 comedy in 2017 is FAR more offensive!

Eric W.

#6 Post by Eric W. »

Ok... I won't ask why I just shake my head in sheer disbelief. ;)

AndyDursin

#7 Post by AndyDursin »