COSMOS - The Original - on Blu-Ray

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
AndyDursin

COSMOS - The Original - on Blu-Ray

#1 Post by AndyDursin »

Just thought I'd give this a recommendation as my copy finally shipped from Deepdiscount.

Some years ago an HD restoration was produced for the original Carl Sagan series. I believe it was shown on Discovery Science a few years back. The show is upconverted and still standard-def, but between the color enhancement and upscaling to 1080i, the image looks far better than I expected, and comes off quite nicely. The stereo soundtrack is also very robust as well.

This Australian release is the sole Blu-Ray of COSMOS but it's actually cheaper than the US DVD by a few dollars as well! Well worth a look!

http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com/cosmos-a ... 7369010977

Paul MacLean

Re: COSMOS - The Original - on Blu-Ray

#2 Post by Paul MacLean »

AndyDursin wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:04 am The show is upconverted and still standard-def, but between the color enhancement and upscaling to 1080i, the image looks far better than I expected, and comes off quite nicely. The stereo soundtrack is also very robust as well.
All of Cosmos' studio interiors and effects sequences were shot on standard definition, so unfortunately, it will never exist in HD.

That said, for all the spiffy visuals and Carl Sagan's surpassing scientific acumen...I never felt this series really delivered. It had its moments (like when Sagan brilliantly illustrated near-light speed travel and time distortion by using a child's bicycle ride) but mostly I found the show ponderous and overly philosophical (and sometime even boring). Sagan was a genius, but there was too much pontificating and close-ups of him gazing in wonder from his "Spaceship of the Imagination".