This Week's Column - Holiday Gift Guide 2017!

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
AndyDursin

This Week's Column - Holiday Gift Guide 2017!

#1 Post by AndyDursin »

Worked hard on this year's Holiday Buyer's Guide -- some eclectic titles were sent my way -- and I dive into 4K from my perspective of use over the last year. Plus new releases from Twilight Time, Shout Factory, Criterion and a few scattered other releases.

Check it out, grab a coffee and stay for a while!

http://andyfilm.com/2017/11/29/12-5-17- ... ift-guide/

Eric Paddon

Re: This Week's Column - Holiday Gift Guide 2017!

#2 Post by Eric Paddon »

That re-release of the Hitchcock set that includes TV show episodes is a little frustrating for me. I bought the earlier release and would really have no reason to get it again but I'm also facing the fact that the final four seasons of "Alfred Hitchcock Presents" which includes the three seasons of the expanded hour version have long been stalled out on DVD and thus this would mark the first time ANY episodes of "The Alfred Hitchcock Hour" have been released on any home video format in the US (can you give us the episode titles, Andy?) But should I double dip just for those three episodes? I wouldn't want to and yet the fact that it might be my only chance also gnaws at me there.

AndyDursin

#3 Post by AndyDursin »

I will try Eric...honestly I didn't think it was much of an inclusion as they were on DVD and not Blu-Ray. I haven't followed those shows so are they not all available on DVD?

Eric Paddon

#4 Post by Eric Paddon »

Six of the seven seasons of "Alfred Hitchcock Presents", the half-hour version of the show have been released on DVD. The show has been stalled out at S6 for about four or five years now. After the seventh season it expanded to an hour as "The Alfred Hitchcock Hour" for its final three seasons (the story is that Hitchcock purposefully wanted his show expanded to an hour so NBC would be forced to cancel "Thriller" which Hitch saw as a competitor) and none of that has been released on DVD (it would presumably be released as Season 8-9-10). So we've had no hour long episodes released on DVD in Region 1. (The whole series was released in Region 4 but I'm not buying foreign region releases I can only view on one machine with PAL speedup).

AndyDursin

#5 Post by AndyDursin »

Found this on another board....last 2 shows weren't even directed by Hitch apparently so what's the point?? The set is certainly worth owning but not for these discs. The earlier box set is cheaper too.

Disc 16:
Revenge (Season 1, Episode 1)
Mr. Blanchard's Secret (Season 2, Episode 13)
Lamb to the Slaughter (Season 3, Episode 28)
Poison (Season 4, Episode 1)
Arthur (Season 5, Episode 1)
Mr. Bixby and the Colonel's Coat (Season 6, Episode 1)
Bang! You're Dead! (Season 7, Episode 2)
Alfred Hitchcock Presents: A Look Back

Disc 17:
I Saw the Whole Thing (Season 1, Episode 4)
Three Wives Too Many (Season 2, Episode 12)
Death Scene (Season 3, Episode 20)
Fasten Your Seatbelt: The Thrilling Art of Alfred Hitchcock

Eric Paddon

#6 Post by Eric Paddon »

Thanks. The lone Season 7 episode from the half hour show would be the only one not previously available on DVD from that run along with the three hour long shows. I wish I could just get those two discs cheap!