Bryan Singer Disaster: Fired From New Movie After Clashes With Star and Assorted "Issues"

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
AndyDursin

Bryan Singer Disaster: Fired From New Movie After Clashes With Star and Assorted "Issues"

#1 Post by AndyDursin »

Production has been "suspended" on Fox's biopic of Freddy Mercury and Queen because Bryan Singer has gone AWOL from the set...and has been missing for 3 days.

Lots of rumors his "health" has to do with the oft-rumored pedophile behavior he's been linked to in the tabloids for years...wonder if the boom is about to drop on him.

http://deadline.com/2017/12/freddie-mer ... 202218722/

Eric W.

Re: Bryan Singer Goes AWOL On Set of New Movie; Fox Suspends Production

#2 Post by Eric W. »

Hope it does.

AndyDursin

Re: Bryan Singer Goes AWOL On Set of New Movie; Fox Suspends Production

#3 Post by AndyDursin »

Singer has been fired a couple of weeks before filming ended. His career is going down with him.

http://www.showbiz411.com/2017/12/04/an ... ueen-movie

AndyDursin

Re: Bryan Singer Goes AWOL, Fired Before Shooting Finishes on Queen Movie

#4 Post by AndyDursin »

UPDATE Singer issued a statement saying he was treating an ill parent and that they wouldn’t give him time off. Doesn’t sound right since Singer had made millions for Fox with “X Men” movies. Something else is going on. Here’s his statement:

“With fewer than three weeks to shoot remaining, I asked Fox for some time off so I could return to the U.S. to deal with pressing health matters concerning one of my parents. This was a very taxing experience, which ultimately took a serious toll on my own health. Unfortunately, the studio was unwilling to accommodate me and terminated my services. This was not my decision and it was beyond my control,” Singer said in the statement.

“Rumors that my unexpected departure from the film was sparked by a dispute I had with Rami Malek are not true. While, at times, we did have creative differences on set, Rami and I successfully put those differences behind us and continued to work on the film together until just prior to Thanksgiving. I wanted nothing more than to be able to finish this project and help honor the legacy of Freddie Mercury and Queen, but Fox would not permit me to do so because I needed to temporarily put my health, and the health of my loved ones, first.”

EARLIER Where oh where is Bryan Singer? Is he trolling junior high schools for pals? He’s certainly not in London directing “Bohemian Rhapsody,” the Fox film about Freddie Mercury and Queen.

No, Singer has gone AWOL and Fox has fired him. That’s it. Two weeks before finish, Singer– who has still not shown up with an explanation — is out. His cinematographer, Thomas Newton Sigel, has been filling in for him.

Singer– who’s made plenty of movies– is telling someone that he has PTSD from the stress of shooting a movie about rockers and fat bottomed ladies. My guess is he’s given the people on set PTSD.

The word around town is that one of the major publications– Times, Post, Variety, etc– is about to spring a big story about Singer’s sexual malfeasance. He’s been the subject of lawsuits and stories in the past.

For Fox to fire him is a big deal since Singer is closely associated with their “X Men” movies. But enough’s enough. Someone will replace him immediately. The Directors Guild will have to come in and see what’s going on and who gets final credit.

AndyDursin

Re: Bryan Singer Goes AWOL, Fired Before Shooting Finishes on Queen Movie

#5 Post by AndyDursin »

Here's the Hollywood Reporter story -- man, what a clusterbleep.
Fox halted production Dec. 1, saying it was because of the "unexpected unavailability" of the helmer.
Bryan Singer has been fired from the movie Bohemian Rhapsody, 20th Century Fox has told The Hollywood Reporter.

“Bryan Singer is no longer the director of Bohemian Rhapsody," the studio said Monday in a statement.

The decision reflected an escalating clash between Singer and actor Rami Malek and was caused by the helmer being missing from the set, necessitating the Dec. 1 production shutdown of the film in which Malek stars as Freddie Mercury, frontman of the rock group Queen. The pic has been shooting in London.

In announcing the shutdown last week, producers Fox, New Regency and Graham King initially said filming was being suspended because of Singer's "unexpected unavailability."

Denying he acted unprofesionally, Singer charged the studio refused to allow him to tend to "a gravely ill parent" as well as to his own health. “I wanted nothing more than to be able to finish this project and help honor the legacy of Freddie Mercury and Queen," he said in a statement, "but Fox would not permit me to do so because I needed to temporarily put my health, and the health of my loved ones, first.”

Trouble began when Singer went missing during production on several occasions. His no-shows resulted in cinematographer Thomas Newton Sigel having to step in to helm some of the days while Singer was absent.

Tom Hollander, who plays Queen manager Jim Beach, also is said to have briefly quit the film because of Singer's behavior, but was persuaded to return, according to one source.

Malek complained to the studio, charging Singer with not being present on set, unreliability and unprofessionalism.

Singer had been warned before production began by both Fox Film chairman and CEO Stacey Snider and Fox Film vice chairman and president of production Emma Watts that they wouldn't tolerate any unprofessional behavior on his part. A representative from the Directors Guild of America also arrived on set to monitor the situation.

The growing tension led to a confrontation between Singer and Malek, which, while it did not become physical, did involve Singer throwing an object. Subsequently, however, the two are said to have settled their differences and filming was expected to resume.

But then Singer did not return to the set after the Thanksgiving break and is believed to have been in the U.S. for about the last 10 days, according to one source. In his absence, Sigel stepped in to helm several days of shooting before the production was shut down. Singer's prolonged absence was the final straw, and so the studio decided to terminate him under his pay-or-play contract.

According to another insider, Singer has claimed he is suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder because of the tensions on the set.

In his statement, Singer said, "“Rumors that my unexpected departure from the film was sparked by a dispute I had with Rami Malek are not true. While, at times, we did have creative differences on set, Rami and I successfully put those differences behind us and continued to work on the film together until just prior to Thanksgiving.”

The studio, which has about two more weeks of principal photography remaining on the film, is expected to name a new director within the next few days.

KevinEK

Re: Bryan Singer Disaster: Fired From New Movie After Clashes With Star and Assorted "Issues"

#6 Post by KevinEK »

Not sure what's really going on with Singer.
We'll have to see if there's really going to be a big expose of anything.
The behavior is certainly unprofessional. Even Zack Snyder dealt with his family tragedy in a professional manner, whether his movies show any talent or not.
Singer, on the other hand, has made some extremely strong movies and helped create the TV series House.
But walking away from the movie before you're done with it? That's something that finished the career destruction for Orson Welles. (Watch Charlton Heston's interview on the excellent Blu-ray Universal gave us of Touch of Evil, and you get a really good picture of how that idea worked out.)