This Week's Column - KL Studio Classics, WB Archive, 4K Wrap

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
AndyDursin

This Week's Column - KL Studio Classics, WB Archive, 4K Wrap

#1 Post by AndyDursin »

New 4K releases, Kino Lorber & Warner Archive December discs and much more in this week's column!

http://andyfilm.com/2017/12/12/12-19-17 ... -releases/

jkholm

Re: This Week's Column - KL Studio Classics, WB Archive, 4K Wrap

#2 Post by jkholm »

Agree regarding the ratings of the Nolan movies. I had a similar experience with DUNKIRK in that the subwoofer was cranked to 11. I saw the movie in IMAX 70mm (like I was supposed to) and the first half hour was almost unbearable with the constant bass thumping of the sound design. (It probably didn’t help that I had just eaten a taco platter for dinner.) I understand what Nolan was up to in creating a constant sense of dread and confusion but I don’t think you can sustain that type of film making for as long as Nolan did. It felt like I was continuously watching the final 15 minutes of a suspense movie, except it never ended.

Something else that bothered me was the lack of scale to the evacuation. There were hundreds of thousands of soldiers on that beach in real life but not once during the movie did it ever look like there were more than a couple hundred guys on the same stretch of beach.

Eric Paddon

#3 Post by Eric Paddon »

I hadn't known about the flawed One Million B.C. pressing because the problem isn't noticeable unless you're close to the screen, but now that I do know I can't figure out how to exchange my copy. I sent VCI an e-mail on their site and got no response.

AndyDursin

#4 Post by AndyDursin »

jkholm wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:51 pm Agree regarding the ratings of the Nolan movies. I had a similar experience with DUNKIRK in that the subwoofer was cranked to 11. I saw the movie in IMAX 70mm (like I was supposed to) and the first half hour was almost unbearable with the constant bass thumping of the sound design. (It probably didn’t help that I had just eaten a taco platter for dinner.) I understand what Nolan was up to in creating a constant sense of dread and confusion but I don’t think you can sustain that type of film making for as long as Nolan did. It felt like I was continuously watching the final 15 minutes of a suspense movie, except it never ended.

Something else that bothered me was the lack of scale to the evacuation. There were hundreds of thousands of soldiers on that beach in real life but not once during the movie did it ever look like there were more than a couple hundred guys on the same stretch of beach.
Totally agree John. The movie left me cold, even on a second viewing, sadly.