Barbara Broccoli hints at possible female 007

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
Paul MacLean

Barbara Broccoli hints at possible female 007

#1 Post by Paul MacLean »

Yawn. :roll:

http://www.esquire.com/uk/latest-news/a ... r-rumours/

James Bond Producer Barbara Broccoli Says The Next 007 Could Be Female

Sorry, Hardy

Barbara Broccoli - the tenderstemmed matriarch of the 007 universe - "Anything is possible" when it comes to Daniel Craig's successor.

Oh go on Barbara, give us a clue!

With Daniel Craig signed up to perform his craggy, vulnerable jig at least one more time for Bond 25 (working title), due to be released in November 2019, the execs pulling the strings of the whole operation are keeping their next choice of Bond close to their chests.

Responding to a question by The Daily Mail about the possibility of a female or non-white Bond, Broccoli implied that the next generation of 007 could be a more modern interpretation.

"These films tend to reflect the times so we always try to push the envelope a little bit," she said. "Anything is possible. Right now it's Daniel Craig, and I'm very happy with Daniel Craig, but who knows what the future will bring?"

As reported in the heady days of 2017, Craig had his arm 'twisted' into signing a (supposed) $150 million contract to play Bond over the course of two more films, but it looks like a new Bond might be in the offing sooner than we thought.

We'd just like to add that we called female Bond almost two years ago.

You're welcome, Barbara.

How about creating new, original action heroes who are female, instead of performing gender reassignment surgery on the Ghostbusters, Doctor Who, Bond, etc.?

Eric Paddon

Re: Barbara Broccoli hints at possible female 007

#2 Post by Eric Paddon »

Don't forget Battlestar Galactica where the two signature male action hero characters of Starbuck and Commander Cain were turned into butch females.

Honestly, this industry is beyond pathetic.

Monterey Jack

#3 Post by Monterey Jack »

Would black people be happy if a white dude was cast as Shaft? Would Chinese people be okay with an Indian guy cast as Bruce Lee? But if white males complain about roles intended for white males being played by women or minorities, they're branded as close-minded sexists or racists. :roll:

AndyDursin

#4 Post by AndyDursin »

She already started up a whole franchise for a "female Bond"! What the hell!

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5819&hilit=Bond+female

Monterey Jack

#5 Post by Monterey Jack »

AndyDursin wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:09 pm She already started up a whole franchise for a "female Bond"! What the hell!

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5819&hilit=Bond+female
Exactly...why not just have this new character cross over with 007?

Paul MacLean

#6 Post by Paul MacLean »

I suspect though, that Broccoli is just being evasive to keep people (and journalists) hooked, and playing to the transgender fad. I doubt very much Eon Productions would change James Bond to a woman.

It would not surprise me however if they eventually cast a Black actor, or one of Pakistani or Indian extraction (particularly the latter) -- nor would I have a problem with that (though Fleming might have!).

Monterey Jack

#7 Post by Monterey Jack »

Paul MacLean wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:25 am It would not surprise me however if they eventually cast a Black actor, or one of Pakistani or Indian extraction (particularly the latter) -- nor would I have a problem with that (though Fleming might have!).
I bloody well would. :? And that doesn't make me "racist"...it makes me someone who has watched a white, hetrosexual male in the role for his entire life. Look at how many people complained about Daniel Craig being blonde...you think ANYone would accept Bond as a woman, or black/Indian/Chinese/what-have-you?

You want to make a NEW, Bond-esque franchise with a woman or minority? Go right ahead, but leave Bond himself alone, dammit.

John Johnson

#8 Post by John Johnson »

And of course, we now have a female Doctor.

London. Greatest City in the world.

Paul MacLean

#9 Post by Paul MacLean »

Monterey Jack wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:36 am I bloody well would. :? And that doesn't make me "racist"...it makes me someone who has watched a white, hetrosexual male in the role for his entire life. Look at how many people complained about Daniel Craig being blonde...you think ANYone would accept Bond as a woman, or black/Indian/Chinese/what-have-you?
I don't agree, and I'll tell you why. Don't get me wrong Jack -- I don't think you're a racist (a term which is thrown around too much these days anyway), and I do understand where you're coming from.

James Bond is British -- but to be "British" today is no longer what it was in Fleming's day. Back then over 90% of the UK was ethnically Caucasian. And if the Bond films were all set in the 1950s, changing 007's racial make-up would be historically inaccurate, and stupid.

But Bond films have changed with the times. I have spent a fair amount of time in the UK, and large part of that culture now consists of people of Indian and Pakistani heritage. And these are not immigrants, they are second and third-generation subjects of Her Majesty.

London mayor Sadiq Kahn recently visited Pakistan and was asked by journalists "Do you feel like you've come home?" to which he answered "Home is East London, mate!" Likewise, my friend Shariek (who now lives in New York) may have dark skin, but he has a cockney accent, and considers himself an Englishman. He loves Charles Dickens, and has no interest in where his great-gran was born.

I do think if they are going to go in this direction, it would be more accurate to cast someone who is still half-European (as Bond's family on his father's side have been landed gentry in Scotland for generations). But hey, if we can have a black Felix Leiter, surely we can have a half-Indian Bond!

John Johnson, you'll back me up on this, right? 8)

Monterey Jack

#10 Post by Monterey Jack »

I felt the same way when they cast Idris Elba as Roland Deschain in that lousy Dark Tower movie...I think Elba is a terrific actor with charisma to burn, but he is NOT the character as described in Stephen King's books, even taking his race out of the equation. In the books, Roland is described as "Long, tall and ugly", none of which applies to Elba. I mean, they could have cast a ringer for the character on the page, and the movie as written still would have sucked, but that's not the point. If you're gonna radically change a character's racial appearance or gender for a new version...why not create a new CHARACTER? I don't want to see a black Sherlock Holmes, I don't want a Latina Sue Storm (Jessica Alba may be hot, but slapping a blonde wig on her head and eerie blue contact lenses in her eyes was NOT enough to transform that olive-skinned actress into the character), and I want my 007 to be a white guy, even if he's not "officially" British (as only two of the six Bonds to date have been). Casting a woman as Dr. Who doesn't bother me, because (as my extremely limited knowledge of the character goes), it's basically a spirit or somesuch that jumps from body to body, so why not a chick at some point?

If you want a female Bond...make a new spy series for her. And I say this as someone who enjoyed the new Ghostbusters a lot more than most.

Eric Paddon

#11 Post by Eric Paddon »

WIth all the women Bond has bedded over the decades it'd be more simple to introduce a daughter of 007 in her own franchise if they are so determined to do it that way! (oh but then I guess it wouldn't be feminist enough to have a daughter taking after a strong father-image!)

Paul MacLean

#12 Post by Paul MacLean »

Monterey Jack wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:41 pmI don't want a Latina Sue Storm (Jessica Alba may be hot, but slapping a blonde wig on her head and eerie blue contact lenses in her eyes was NOT enough to transform that olive-skinned actress into the character), and I want my 007 to be a white guy, even if he's not "officially" British (as only two of the six Bonds to date have been).
How did you feel about Timothy Dalton as Bond? Dalton is half-Spanish.

Monterey Jack

#13 Post by Monterey Jack »

Paul MacLean wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:24 amHow did you feel about Timothy Dalton as Bond? Dalton is half-Spanish.
He certainly doesn't look it, whereas Alba looked like what she was...an extremely pretty, olive-skinned Latina with a blonde wig and blue contacts.

Paul MacLean

#14 Post by Paul MacLean »

Monterey Jack wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:40 am
Paul MacLean wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:24 amHow did you feel about Timothy Dalton as Bond? Dalton is half-Spanish.
He certainly doesn't look it, whereas Alba looked like what she was...an extremely pretty, olive-skinned Latina with a blonde wig and blue contacts.
I personally see a definite a Mediterranean look to Timothy Dalton.

In regard to Ian Fleming's conception of the character, even that was somewhat fluid. Fleming never conceived of James Bond as being from Scotland -- until Sean Connery was cast in the role, and then Fleming wrote Bond's family background into one of his subsequent books.

I still see nothing about James Bond which makes it impossible for an actor of non-European blood to play the part. In fact I say that casting George Lazenby -- an Australian -- was actually less true to the role (Lazenby didn't even have a British accent)!

And remember, the James Bond theme was itself originally Indian! :lol:

Paul MacLean

#15 Post by Paul MacLean »

A couple of years old, but Yaphet Kotto weighed-in on the question of Bond's ethnicity...

https://www.thewrap.com/black-bond-vill ... idiculous/