Spielberg Remaking WEST SIDE STORY - Subtitles Are (Apparently) Racist!

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
AndyDursin

Spielberg Remaking WEST SIDE STORY - Subtitles Are (Apparently) Racist!

#1 Post by AndyDursin »

The fifth Indiana Jones and/or a remake of one of the classic musicals? Spielberg heading to REHASH CITY like the rest of Hollywood it seems. :roll:

http://deadline.com/2018/01/steven-spie ... 202262857/

Eric W.

Re: Spielberg Choosing Between INDY 5 (yawn) and WEST SIDE STORY Remake (ZZZZ)

#2 Post by Eric W. »

I hope neither of these projects ever happen.

Paul MacLean

#3 Post by Paul MacLean »

Going back to the Close Encounters discussion (in the other thread), another thing which struck me about CE3K was that it was such a personal expression on Spielberg's part. This was a movie he not only desperately wanted to make, but I get the sense he felt he needed to make. (The same with E.T.)

Not every one of his movies is going to be of that same caliber and inspiration of course, but increasingly, over the years, it seems to me his choice of projects more comes down to "I wonder what I should do next? I mean, I need to make something". His work no longer seems driven by passion.

AndyDursin

#4 Post by AndyDursin »

I have felt that way for a very long time. I recall reading something a while back that since he had a family, he couldn't invest his films with the same level of preparation and energy, that it wasn't his main priority, compared to when he was younger and hungrier. And yet he keeps pumping out films back to back!

You want to talk about safe, neither of these films interests me at all. And a West Side Story remake at this point in time just seems tone deaf too.

AndyDursin

#5 Post by AndyDursin »

He's always said he wanted to make a musical too...that I understand...but sadly he missed his chance with 1941 which should've been one. The big USO dance hinted at the movie it could've been.

Eric Paddon

#6 Post by Eric Paddon »

Spielberg and West Side Story. Cue the "Jaws" theme when the Sharks first appear? :)

Paul MacLean

#7 Post by Paul MacLean »

Eric Paddon wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:13 pm Spielberg and West Side Story. Cue the "Jaws" theme when the Sharks first appear? :)
:mrgreen:

AndyDursin

#8 Post by AndyDursin »

HOOK was the other musical wannabe. As memory serves didn't Williams write songs with Bricusse for the project when it was supposed to be a musical? The little girl sings one onscreen as it is, but I thought Williams' final score incorporated material for the songs Spielberg ended up not using after he went in a different (and ultimately misguided) direction.

Paul MacLean

#9 Post by Paul MacLean »

AndyDursin wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:42 pm HOOK was the other musical wannabe. As memory serves didn't Williams write songs with Bricusse for the project when it was supposed to be a musical? The little girl sings one onscreen as it is, but I thought Williams' final score incorporated material for the songs Spielberg ended up not using after he went in a different (and ultimately misguided) direction.
Yeah, Williams and Bricusse were working on the Peter Pan songs in early 1986. Then the plug got pulled for some reason (leaving a gap in Williams' schedule -- which enabled him to score SpaceCamp).

I'm not sure the Peter Pan musical evolved into Hook. Wasn't Hook an original screenplay by Nick Castle (who was originally supposed to direct as well)?

AndyDursin

#10 Post by AndyDursin »

Yes something like that lol.

The Wikipedia page, FWIW, indicates Spielberg tried to make a liveaction, straight Pan movie with Disney and Paramount in the early 80s. Then was going to do it with James V. Hart's script (and Hoffman allegedly already attached ) before Empire of the Sun, but then his son was born and he dropped out (that must have been the hole Williams had).

Castle didn't write it, but came onboard to direct when Spielberg left, at which point Hart also revised his script and made it a sequel instead of a remake.

After that, Castle got a half million to go away when TriStar picked up the property as a vehicle for Spielberg (his first agent was now running the studio), who decided to make it this time, albeit closer to home in LA.

Very lengthy production history lol...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hook_(film)

Paul MacLean

#11 Post by Paul MacLean »

AndyDursin wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:32 pm After that, Castle got a half million to go away when TriStar picked up the property as a vehicle for Spielberg (his first agent was now running the studio), who decided to make it this time, albeit closer to home in LA.
That's so nice. "We decided we want Stevie to make it instead. Get lost!" :roll:

I always felt that shooting Hook in LA compromised the movie. It's a very English subject and the London sets looked -- and felt -- fake. They would have gotten a much better result using a real English neighborhood, and shooting the Neverland sequences at Pinewood.

Monterey Jack

#12 Post by Monterey Jack »

Considering my aversion to musicals in general, I'd be REALLY torn on West Side Story, because I haven't missed seeing a Spielberg movie in theaters since Amistad. And yet Indy 5 is going to be RIDICULOUS given Harrison Ford's advancing age. Who the hell do they think they're kidding? :?

I'd rather see Spielberg tackle something completely new. The Post was great.

AndyDursin

#13 Post by AndyDursin »

I can't imagine he's ever going to remake West Side Story. Just makes zero sense. A brilliant but also dated piece that's been covered on screen pretty much flawlessly already. He's got nowhere to go but down with that. If he wants to make a musical he's got plenty of other options that would be more up his alley.

Monterey Jack

#14 Post by Monterey Jack »

AndyDursin wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:25 pm I can't imagine he's ever going to remake West Side Story. Just makes zero sense. A brilliant but also dated piece that's been covered on screen pretty much flawlessly already. He's got nowhere to go but down with that.
I mean, when he wanted to remake A Guy Named Joe as Always, no one cared, because who remembers A Guy Named Joe? But West Side Story is one of THE most famous musicals of all time, so to waste time remaking it seems a very odd choice for a filmmaker of Spielberg's calibre. I know Spielberg has wanted to make a full-on musical for ages, but there are NO other musicals that haven't been adapted for the big screen he could take on? Couldn't he commission some songwriters to pen an original musical? Be like if someone wanted to remake The Sound Of Music or Mary Poppins (oh, wait... :roll: ).

AndyDursin

#15 Post by AndyDursin »

Steven's not listening to us. :lol:

http://www.showbiz411.com/2018/01/25/it ... -for-leads

According to this 2016 Spielberg interview:
And then, there's a potential remake of West Side Story — which would be a Fox/MGM co-production — for which Tony Kushner is working on a script. Spielberg has dreamt of adapting it "for decades," securing rights after trying to get them 15 years ago.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/featu ... ins-902544