Oscars 2018 - Nominations

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
AndyDursin

Oscars 2018 - Nominations

#1 Post by AndyDursin »

If this list of Best Picture nominees (including the highly overpraised GET OUT) doesn't excite you, take heart that Hans Zimmer just received a nomination for his horrific "original score" for DUNKIRK. Truly, we ARE living in a Golden Age of cinema! :roll:

Del Toro's R-rated SPLASH remake leads the way with 13 nominations.
BEST PICTURE
Call Me By Your Name
Darkest Hour
Dunkirk
Get Out
Lady Bird
Phantom Thread
The Post
The Shape of Water
Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri

BEST ACTOR
Timothée Chalamet, Call Me By Your Name
Daniel Day-Lewis, Phantom Thread
Daniel Kaluuya, Get Out
Gary Oldman, Darkest Hour
Denzel Washington, Roman J. Israel, Esq.

BEST ACTRESS
Sally Hawkins, The Shape of Water
Frances McDormand, Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri
Margot Robbie, I, Tonya
Saoirse Ronan, Lady Bird
Meryl Streep, The Post

BEST DIRECTOR
Dunkirk, Christopher Nolan
Get Out, Jordan Peele
Lady Bird, Greta Gerwig
Phantom Thread, Paul Thomas Anderson
The Shape of Water, Guillermo del Toro

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS
Mary J. Blige, Mudbound
Allison Janney, I, Tonya
Lesley Manville, Phantom Thread
Laurie Metcalf, Lady Bird
Octavia Spencer, The Shape of Water

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR
Willem Dafoe, The Florida Project
Woody Harrelson, Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri
Richard Jenkins, The Shape of Water
Christopher Plummer, All the Money in the World
Sam Rockwell, Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri

ADAPTED SCREENPLAY
Call Me By Your Name, James Ivory
The Disaster Artist, Scott Neustadter and Michael H. Weber
Logan, Scott Frank, James Mangold, Michael Green
Molly’s Game, Aaron Sorkin
Mudbound, Virgil Williams and Dee Rees

ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY
The Big Sick, Emily V. Gordon and Kumail Nanjiani
Get Out, Jordan Peele
Lady Bird, Greta Gerwig
The Shape of Water, Guillermo del Toro and Vanessa Taylor
Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri, Martin McDonagh

PRODUCTION DESIGN
Beauty and the Beast
Blade Runner 2049
Darkest Hour
Dunkirk
The Shape of Water

CINEMATOGRAPHY
Blade Runner 2049
Darkest Hour
Dunkirk
Mudbound
The Shape of Water

COSTUME DESIGN
Beauty and the Beast
Darkest Hour
Phantom Thread
The Shape of Water
Victoria & Abdul

SOUND EDITING
Baby Driver
Blade Runner 2049
Dunkirk
The Shape of Water
Star Wars: The Last Jedi

SOUND MIXING
Baby Driver
Blade Runner 2049
Dunkirk
The Shape of Water

ANIMATED SHORT FILM
Dear Basketball
Garden Party
Lou
Negative Space
Revolting Rhymes

LIVE-ACTION SHORT FILM
DeKalb Elementary
The Eleven O’Clock
My Nephew Emmett
The Silent Child
Watu Wote/All of Us

ORIGINAL SCORE
Dunkirk
Phantom Thread
The Shape of Water

VISUAL EFFECTS
Blade Runner 2049
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
Kong: Skull Island
War for the Planet of the Apes

FILM EDITING
Baby Driver
Dunkirk
I, Tonya
The Shape of Water

MAKEUP AND HAIRSTYLING
Darkest Hour
Victoria & Abdul
Wonder

BEST FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILM
A Fantastic Woman, Chile
The Insult, Lebanon
Loveless, Russia
On Body and Soul, Hungary
The Square, Sweden

BEST DOCUMENTARY SHORT SUBJECT
Edith and Eddie
Heaven Is A Traffic Jam on the 405
Heroin(e)
Knife Skills
Traffic Stop

BEST DOCUMENTARY FEATURE
Abacus: Small Enough to Jail
Faces Places
Icarus
Last Man in Aleppo
Strong Island

ORIGINAL SONG
“Mighty River,” Mudbound
“Mystery of Love,” Call Me By Your Name
“Remember Me,” Coco
“Stand Up For Something,” Marshall
“This Is Me,” The Greatest Showman

BEST ANIMATED FEATURE FILM
The Boss Baby
The Breadwinner
Coco
Ferdinand
Loving Vincent

Monterey Jack

Re: Oscars 2018 - Nominations

#2 Post by Monterey Jack »

-Pleased to see Sam Rockwell up for his first Oscar. :)

-Boss Baby and Ferdinand continue to prove how worthless the Best Animated Feature category is. :? They may as well condense it to only three nominees (meaning that year's Pixar feature, and two art-house/foreign-language nominees that 99% of the viewing audience will not have a chance to see).

-Logan for Adapted Screenplay (adapted from what?) pleases me.

-Baby Driver only up for token Editing and Sound awards, of course (ditto War For The Planet Of The Apes for Visual Effects). Two of my top-three faves of the year.

-Denzel up for the poorly-reviewed Roman J. Israel, Esquire proves that certain actors get nominations for pretty much anything. And fricking Streep AGAIN?! Good performance in a good movie, but come ON.

-Surprised to se the token John Williams Score nod for Star Wars and not The Post (especially as it's his weakest, "greatest hits" package of pre-existing SW thematic material). Watch Zimmer take it for his earbleed-inducing Dunkirk "music". :roll: Nice to see Carter Burwell pull off his second nomination, though.

-Can't wait to see Roger Deakins go home Oscar-less for the fiftieth time. :cry:

-All those nominations for Shape Of Water, and no Best Makeup?

-Not one token "Girl Power" nod for Wonder Woman, even in the technical categories? At least there's Greta Gerwig in the Best Director category to appease the anti-mysoginists out there.

Monterey Jack

#3 Post by Monterey Jack »

Also, no Supporting Actress for Holly Hunter for The Big Sick is disappointing.

Paul MacLean

#4 Post by Paul MacLean »

I haven't heard of most of these movies!
AndyDursin wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:10 am If this list of Best Picture nominees (including the highly overpraised GET OUT) doesn't excite you, take heart that Hans Zimmer just received a nomination for his horrific "original score" for DUNKIRK. Truly, we ARE living in a Golden Age of cinema! :roll:
I suspect Dunkirk will sweep the Oscars -- including the score category. Zimmer hasn't won in 23 years, and as he's now probably the most sought-after composer in Hollywood, I expect to see him take home the award.

Last year was the first time since I was a teenager I didn't bother to watch the Oscars. This year will probably be the second.

KevinEK

#5 Post by KevinEK »

I suppose the snark at the top of this was inevitable.

But I found The Shape of Water to be my favorite film of the year - a beautiful love story, albeit with the Creature From the Black Lagoon.
I hadn't heard about it being thought of as a rip-off of Splash. The meme I did hear accused del Toro of stealing it from The Space Between Us, a short student film made in the Netherlands in 2015. (And actually, the students and the academy involved with that short just issued a statement dismissing the accusation - del Toro apparently took the time to see the movie and then spoke to the students about the similarities - and differences - between their films.)

Looking over the nominations, I see the usual snubs and deliberate rejections.
James Franco is left off, in favor of what Daniel Day Lewis says is his last performance. Until DDL is persuaded to come out of retirement, I suppose...
Spielberg is correctly left off the directors' list, as he was in all the other awards lists.
Meryl Streep is nominated rather than Judy Dench.
The Big Sick and Mudbound were pretty much sent to the corner.

Interesting to see Logan nominated. Glad to see that. It's a very loose adaptation of Old Man Logan, but it really works. I didn't expect it to get any attention.
Very happy to see Molly's Game nominated there as well.
I agree with Jack that Baby Driver should have been nominated for more than this. In my DGA noms, I included it.
I also agree with Jack that Shape of Water should have had a makeup nom for the Creature.

Looking over the nominations:

Best Actor - should be Gary Oldman in a walk. Great performance, as always from a master chameleon and this is his year. And he only went full Oldman in a couple of places, including that final cry of "We shall never SURRENDER!" The other nominees vary. Day-Lewis and Washington get their usual noms. Chalamet is the flavor of the month, and we'll see how he does in another couple of years. The Kaluuya nomination, like the one he got from SAG, is a real head-scratcher. He gave a good performance but nothing that shot the lights out.

Best Actress - starting to look like it's going to Frances McDormand, but I'd love to see it go to Sally Hawkins, who had a much harder part. It's really between the two of them. The other nominees are just there for the ride. Robbie is there as a consolation for I,Tonya being shut out of most of the other awards. Ronan is getting her usual nod - I always like her performances, but she didn't have much to do this time. Streep's nomination is perfunctory at this point.

Best Supporting Actor - should be Sam Rockwell in a walk. Nice to see Jenkins in there, but he won't get this. Also nice to see Plummer get a nod, although he really just needed to show up and be Christopher Plummer. Harrelson's performance is quite good - but this is Rockwell's year.

Best Supporting Actress - should be Allison Janney in a walk. She simply stole I, Tonya. Metcalf was also strong, but Janney was a LOT stronger. Blige is getting a consolation nom here, given that Mudbound was shut out of most of the categories. Manville is in the list as part of the Academy's continued (and sometimes inexplicable) attachment to PT Anderson, with her nom accompanying Day-Lewis. Spencer is getting her usual nom.

Best Director - I think and hope this is going to Guillermo del Toro for the beauty of Shape of Water. Of the other nominees, Nolan's work is the strongest by far, but it's mostly a technical exercise. Since Martin McDonagh was snubbed here, del Toro should have this one locked, just as Ang Lee did in 2012 when Affleck was snubbed. Having seen their films, I'm frankly surprised to see the praise lavished on both Get Out and Lady Bird, particularly in terms of directing. And the Academy continues its attachment to Anderson.

Best Adapted Screenplay - Feels like this is going to Mudbound, which will likely be shut out of everything but perhaps Song. The Disaster Artist gets a consolation nom here, since it was shut out of everything else. James Ivory gets a perfunctory nom. Nice to see Logan and Molly's Game in there, but I strongly doubt either will get enough votes to carry them.

Best Original Screenplay - Clearly between Three Billboards and Shape of Water. (Although some might argue Shape of Water should be in the Adapted category, eh?) Big Sick gets its consolation nom here - really odd, since that was actually a good film. And two more head-scratcher noms for Get Out and Lady Bird. My hope is to see Shape of Water get this, but I could see the award going to McDonagh as consolation for being snubbed in the Director category.

Best Production Design - Really should be Blade Runner 2049 in a walk, but could go to Shape of Water if it starts to sweep.

Best Cinematography - I actually think Blade Runner 2049 could get this. The movie is quite beautiful to see and hear - it's in the scripting and actual story where there's no substance. Dunkirk also has strong visuals and could pick this up. Darkest Hour and Mudbound are both well shot, but will wind up also-rans here. I love the look of Shape of Water, particularly the bold color choices with the pies (reminded me of Amelie). But I don't think Shape will sweep into this category.

Best Costume Design - Feels to me like Phantom Thread picks this up, since the movie is all about period fashion in the first place. I note that every single nominee here is either a period piece or a fantasy - or both. As usual.

Best Sound Editing - Car Crash between three nominees here - Baby Driver, Blade Runner 2049 and Dunkirk. All three are equally strong in this area - Baby Driver practically lives off the sound mix anyway. Shape of Water has some great sounds for the Creature, but that's nothing compared to the work in the main three. The Star Wars nom is the usual one.

Best Sound Mixing - See above category. Same nominees, same Car Crash. For the other two nominees, again see above category.

Best Original Score - I don't think this goes to Zimmer, although I didn't find his music here to be horrifying. I just believe they have stronger nominees here. To me, this is clearly between Shape of Water and Three Billboards, both of which have very fine scores. Again, this will depend on whether Shape of Water starts to sweep, or whether Three Billboards suddenly does.

Best Visual Effects - Most likely between Blade Runner 2049 and Star Wars. Guardians and Kong are VFX-heavy, obviously, but they're not on the level of Blade Runner's interactive cityscapes. War for Planet of the Apes gets its consolation nom here, but won't be winning. If anything, the VFX in it are simply a replay and evolution of the work already done for the first two movies in the reboot. To me, this one should go to Blade Runner 2049.

Best Editing - Probably going to Shape of Water or Three Billboards, whichever sweeps. To me, it should go to Baby Driver, as the movie lives on the marriage of image and music. But I, Tonya also lives on its editing - the best moments there are when an interviewee says something blatantly false, and then the movie cuts directly to the person doing exactly what they said they absolutely didn't. I'd be very happy to see this go to Baby Driver, but it just feels like this one will be part of the sweep building up to Best Picture.

Best Makeup/Hair - With this list, obviously Darkest Hour. Again, Jack is correct that the omission of the Creature from Shape of Water is inexplicable here. And it leaves the Churchillization of Gary Oldman as the far-ahead lead here. This is the same combo situation that we saw in 2011, with Meryl Streep and her makeup team winning for their recreation of Margaret Thatcher.

Best Song - Probably "Mighty River", to give Mudbound one win this year. Depends on whether any of the other nominees picks up any steam here.

Best Picture - Once again should be between Shape of Water and Three Billboards, which are easily the strongest movies here. But if they cancel each other out, someone else could come up the middle. Call Me By Your Name is happy to be in this list, but won't be getting an award. Darkest Hour is similarly happy to get here, but isn't at the level of the other films and really is just a vehicle for Oldman's performance. Dunkirk is well-made, but too much of a technical exercise to come away with the award. Phantom Thread's nomination is inexplicable. The Post is another perfunctory nom for a Spielberg picture - and to my mind, it really doesn't deserve it. (I found the movie to be pat and fairly ordinary. And after I saw it, I took another look at All the President's Men, which is still electrifying today.) In the event of the top two names cancelling each other out, it would open the door for Lady Bird or Get Out to suddenly win an award that neither film deserves any more than they deserve this nomination. My hope is to see Shape of Water get it. My thinking is that it will go to Three Billboards.

There were actually several really good films that were in the mix that either got ignored or thrown a consolation nom. The Big Sick is actually quite a good film, starting as a typically off-center Apatow film and morphing into something much more interesting. Molly's Game isn't just a strong Aaron Sorkin script - there are great performances from Chastain, Elba and Costner as well. I'm frankly surprised Costner wasn't recognized anywhere for his performance. Logan was a surprisingly strong movie - the best of the X-Men films and a genuinely moving experience. And my final surprise discovery for the year was Hostiles, which is quite a bracing film. I would love to have seen Hostiles recognized for its cinematography and its performances, but nothing doing.

AndyDursin

#6 Post by AndyDursin »

-Boss Baby and Ferdinand continue to prove how worthless the Best Animated Feature category is.
Did you see FERDINAND? My wife and everyone else that saw it with her and Theo liked it a lot -- certainly more than the likes of ZOOTOPIA, DESPICABLE ME 3 and the godawful SECRET LIFE OF PETS, one of the most worthless pieces of crap I've ever watched in a theater. Not saying they "loved it" but they were prepared to hate it based on the trailers and every one of them enjoyed it.

I don't really know why they need this category either though. There is an awful lot of junk in terms of animated films out there that critics seem to gush over (ZOOTOPIA hello) for no good reason. I would not condemn FERDINAND like BOSS BABY unless you've actually seen it, though they didn't say it was "award worthy" either -- just a nice movie to take the kids to (which many of these animated kids movies aren't!)
I suspect Dunkirk will sweep the Oscars -- including the score category. Zimmer hasn't won in 23 years, and as he's now probably the most sought-after composer in Hollywood, I expect to see him take home the award.
I don't think DUNKIRK has any traction going for it in terms of winning awards. I get the feeling the Academy is going to go right after another movie nobody has seen or heard of again for the second straight year, which would be this THREE BILLBOARDS movie which has won a slew of awards.

Only major surprise seems to be James Franco, who won the Golden Globe, not even getting a nomination for Best Actor. Looks like the #metoo movement got him scrubbed, while Queen Meryl gets another nomination (as usual).

Monterey Jack

#7 Post by Monterey Jack »

AndyDursin wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:19 am Did you see FERDINAND? My wife and everyone else that saw it with her and Theo liked it a lot -- certainly more than the likes of ZOOTOPIA, DESPICABLE ME 3 and the godawful SECRET LIFE OF PETS, one of the most worthless pieces of crap I've ever watched in a theater. Not saying they "loved it" but they were prepared to hate it based on the trailers and every one of them enjoyed it.
I must admit that I haven't due to the annoying advertising, but I've seen a lot of animated films at home that I passed on in theaters that were not at all what the ads promised, so there's that (hell, I found myself really enjoying Captain Underpants! :shock: ). Still, I can't imagine it's better than the laugh-out-loud LEGO Batman Movie, which was one of the year's best comedies (not just animated comedies...comedies full-stop). Then again The LEGO Movie failed to get a nomination in 2014 despite rave reviews across the board, so I guess someone high-up in the voting pool stepped on a Lego brick at some point. :lol:

AndyDursin

#8 Post by AndyDursin »

I must admit that I haven't due to the annoying advertising, but I've seen a lot of animated films at home that I passed on in theaters that were not at all what the ads promised, so there's that
That's exactly how they felt. They wanted to take Theo and my sister in law's family to something over Christmas, and we didn't think THE GREATEST SHOWMAN was going to be a great sit for a 4 year old (lol). The ads looked terrible but they all enjoyed FERDINAND a fair amount, at least a lot more than those other films I mentioned.
Still, I can't imagine it's better than the laugh-out-loud LEGO Batman Movie, which was one of the year's best comedies (not just animated comedies...comedies full-stop). Then again The LEGO Movie failed to get a nomination in 2014 despite rave reviews across the board, so I guess someone high-up in the voting pool stepped on a Lego brick at some point. :lol:
"Better" is a subjective term -- they also seem to be quite different. I can see how an adult might find LEGO BATMAN more entertaining, though I found it overly frenetic and overlong. I didn't see FERDINAND but, again based on what my wife relayed, I'd much rather have Theo watch something like that than LEGO BATMAN, which is filled with jokes that would be inappropriate for little kids. So it depends on what you need the movie for!

Either way, the category yearly celebrates mediocrity simply because they need a set number of nominees (I guess) -- really isn't necessary when there's not enough films to cover the field.

Monterey Jack

#9 Post by Monterey Jack »

AndyDursin wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:25 amEither way, the category yearly celebrates mediocrity simply because they need a set number of nominees (I guess) -- really isn't necessary when there's not enough films to cover the field.
They should restrict the nominees to only three films (I believe they've down that once or twice), because it's very rare when there are genuinely enough great animated films to fill out five slots, so the Academy just throws on whatever was playing in the background that their kids were watching on DVD. :roll: Since the Best Picture nominees now number alound nine or ten, why not just throw in the best animated movie? I mean, it's not like there haven't been some ridiculous nominees for Best Picture over the years, even in the days when there were only five nominees (wasn't Chocolat nominated for BP? Who the hell remembers THAT?), so if an animated movie is amongst the most critically-acclaimed movies of the year, why not let it have a chance with all of the "real" nominees? I remember the uproar when The LEGO Movie wasn't nominated for Best Animated Film, and a lot of people (myself included) found it a better film that a lot of the stuff that was up for Best Picture that year, and yet there's always room for dreck like Jimmy Neutron, Boy Genuis and Shark Tale being nominated.

Paul MacLean

#10 Post by Paul MacLean »

Monterey Jack wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:54 am...it's not like there haven't been some ridiculous nominees for Best Picture over the years, even in the days when there were only five nominees (wasn't Chocolat nominated for BP? Who the hell remembers THAT?),
I remember the film actually...but not that it was nominated!

Truth be told I couldn't name most of the nominations in an category from the past 15 years.

AndyDursin

#11 Post by AndyDursin »

...it's not like there haven't been some ridiculous nominees for Best Picture over the years, even in the days when there were only five nominees (wasn't Chocolat nominated for BP? Who the hell remembers THAT?),
Forget nominees -- how about winners like THE HURT LOCKER and MOONLIGHT? Those two hold the distinction of being the all-time lowest-grossing films to ever win the award (BIRDMAN, THE ARTIST and SPOTLIGHT weren't far behind either when you look at the large list of BP winners over the decades and adjust older films for inflation). Hard to say those movies are going to be/already are forgotten when nobody saw them to begin with. And sometimes people see the movies that win and nobody cares afterwards -- run into anyone still talking about CRASH, anywhere, these days? (And that wasn't a scorching commercial hit either).

Like Paul, I actually do remember CHOCOLAT. Nice little movie :D

AndyDursin

#12 Post by AndyDursin »

Based on what I've seen and the general buzz over the last few weeks, it feels like it's THREE BILLBOARD's time -- but I also get the sense the overpraised GET OUT might win because of social issues. I could see this being one of the years where they "spread the wealth around" and then GET OUT wins Best Picture as a "Big surprise." Wouldn't shock me, but the film doesn't deserve it if it does. After all the hype, it left me totally underwhelmed with an under-developed concept that sounds provocative but says less than an old Twilight Zone episode. OK, a bunch of rich white people think it's "trendy" to be black.....and....so what? Movie did nothing with that concept and ended up the cheapie horror movie which it was intended to be all along. "Get 'em, grandpa!!" :lol: I get the trendy box-office results, but was completely mystified by the overflowing critical praise the film received.

Paul MacLean

#13 Post by Paul MacLean »

AndyDursin wrote: Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:03 pm I also get the sense the overpraised GET OUT might win because of social issues.
I preferred the original Get Out...

KevinEK

#14 Post by KevinEK »

I’m staying with my picks from before. I agree with Andy about Get Out. It’s a clever movie and that’s about it.
I have a feeling Dunkirk will get the two sound Oscars with the way things are trending.
I’m glad to see del Toro on the cusp of getting his Oscar for a movie where, as he put it, “the creature gets the girl in the end.”

AndyDursin

#15 Post by AndyDursin »

Will watch but as was written earlier today it feels more like the Independent Spirit Awards than the Oscars and it's true. Like last year, mostly "little" films very few folks have seen collectively.