Actors whose careers died/faded/never took off

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
Eric W.

Actors whose careers died/faded/never took off

#1 Post by Eric W. »

If we can do it for the ladies, let's do it for the poor fellas, too. :lol:

Entry number one:
34B155B700000578-3612966-image-a-7_1464361885294.jpg
34B155B700000578-3612966-image-a-7_1464361885294.jpg (42.81 KiB) Viewed 1142 times
Angus McFadyen who played Robert the Bruce in Braveheart. An incredible actor that chewed up and stole virtually every scene he was in.

AndyDursin

Re: Actors whose careers died/faded/never took off

#2 Post by AndyDursin »

Yeah that's a good one. Wasn't he in the Kung Fu Kangaroo movie Ronny Yu made (WARRIORS OF VIRTUE)??

Another one from that era is Dougray Scott. The original Wolverine, he was all over the place in the mid '90s (EVER AFTER), but then had to back out of X-MEN after the MISSION IMPOSSIBLE 2 shooting took so long that he couldn't be in the movie anymore. (Talk about a career-changing bad break...)

I often think there's an alternate-universe timeline somewhere, where Scott is a star and Jackman is languishing in Australian stage musicals. :lol:

Eric W.

#3 Post by Eric W. »

AndyDursin wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:27 pm Yeah that's a good one. Wasn't he in the Kung Fu Kangaroo movie Ronny Yu made (WARRIORS OF VIRTUE)??

Another one from that era is Dougray Scott. The original Wolverine, he was all over the place in the mid '90s (EVER AFTER), but then had to back out of X-MEN after the MISSION IMPOSSIBLE 2 shooting took so long that he couldn't be in the movie anymore. (Talk about a career-changing bad break...)

I often think there's an alternate-universe timeline somewhere, where Scott is a star and Jackman is languishing in Australian stage musicals. :lol:
Wow! Dougray Scott. I liked him. Totally disappeared!

Monterey Jack

#4 Post by Monterey Jack »

AndyDursin wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:27 pm
It's always fun to theorize about how certain movies would have turned out if the original choice for the leading role actually happened. Reminds me of that Fringe episode set in the "alternate universe" version of 1985, where we pan down from a theater marquee advertising "Now Showing...Back To The Future starring Eric Stoltz" :lol: ). Also, imagine Tom Selleck as Indiana Jones, or Stuart Townson as Aragorn in Lord Of The Rings.

Paul MacLean

#5 Post by Paul MacLean »

Monterey Jack wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:24 pmAlso, imagine Tom Selleck as Indiana Jones.
I love Harrison Ford, he was great as Indiana Jones, but I get wistful when I think about Selleck in the role. Not that he even would have been "better" necessarily, it's just that Ford was already Han Solo, and Selleck would have been a bit more of a breath of fresh air. Plus Selleck is more burly and might have been a little more believable when dragged behind a truck. Plus I just feel bad for the guy -- what a tremendous professional blow that must have been. I think he should have taken the job anyway and let CBS sue him!

AndyDursin

#6 Post by AndyDursin »

I honestly believe if they had made the exact same movie with RAIDERS that it would've been just as big a hit with Selleck. The film was great and I think Selleck would've been just fine as Indy. Ford is still fantastic and obviously Selleck isn't Ford, but I agree with Paul, I think Selleck would've brought something different to the role. The film was tremendous, it's not as if it needed Ford to put it over the top. Plus he was cast by both Lucas and Spielberg...I'm pretty sure they knew what they were doing when they chose him ;)

I also doubt viewers would've had an issue accepting Selleck....people seem to forget Ford was in a litany of bombs and his own career really didn't take off immediately after Star Wars.

While obviously a huge blow to his film stardom, Selleck still has enjoyed a long and very successful career. BLUE BLOODS is one of the most watched shows on network TV (doesn't everyone's parents watch it?? Lol)

Monterey Jack

#7 Post by Monterey Jack »

Yeah, Selleck's career didn't exactly suffer after getting the ax from Raiders...Magnum P.I. gave him a cushy, regular paycheck for the better part of a decade, he's had a smattering of big screen hits (including 1987's highest-grossing movie, Three Men & A Baby), and he's always been a reliable presence on TV, either in his own shows or as a guest star (like his highly popular guest turn on Friends in the 90's). Still, I'd love to see that alternate universe version of Raiders with him as Indy...a decade later we got a vague taste of what his performance might have been like in the terrific Aussie Western Quigley Down Under.

Paul MacLean

#8 Post by Paul MacLean »

Monterey Jack wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:36 pmStill, I'd love to see that alternate universe version of Raiders with him as Indy...a decade later we got a vague taste of what his performance might have been like in the terrific Aussie Western Quigley Down Under.
Don't forget High Road to China! :mrgreen:

No...just kidding. By all means, forget that movie!

Monterey Jack

#9 Post by Monterey Jack »

What the hell happened to Rick Moranis? I realize his wife died twenty years ago, and he wanted to take time off to raise his kids, but still...TWENTY YEARS of it? :?

AndyDursin

#10 Post by AndyDursin »

Not retired anymore -- according to this 2015 interview, he just doesn't want to appear in garbage (which is all there pretty much is these days):

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/featu ... -he-829779

Too bad Bill Murray didn't follow his lead, instead opting for one of the unfunniest star cameos in recent history.