Tomb Raider Reboot

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
tjguitar85

Tomb Raider Reboot

#1 Post by tjguitar85 »

I saw a trailer while watching the Olympics. how are they already remaking this? Didn't the original come out in the 2000's?

AndyDursin

Re: Tomb Raider Reboot

#2 Post by AndyDursin »

It's not a remake per se -- it's like Daniel Craig doing Bond. Alicia Vikander instead of Angelina Jolie but in a fresh do-over of the material (with the character basically at the beginning).

It seems to be using the 2013 video game "reboot" as its story -- to the point where the set-pieces ARE scenes from the game! (The game was good, too -- I actually played and finished it). I recognized them watching the trailer. lol

Monterey Jack

#3 Post by Monterey Jack »

There has never been -- nor will there ever be -- a good movie based on a video game.
tjguitar85 wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:30 pm I saw a trailer while watching the Olympics. how are they already remaking this? Didn't the original come out in the 2000's?
Even the second film came out in 2003, which was fifteen years ago now. :shock: The whole cycle of remaking or rebooting movies just keeps shrinking...it used to be, you'd have to wait about 20 years for a "new generation", but now it's like, "Crap, the last one came out five years back, and no one can remember back THAT far..." :roll: Look at all of the official remakes of Invasion Of The Body Snatchers...the Philip Kaufman version came out 22 years after the 1956 film, the Abel Ferrara Body Snatchers came out sixteen years after that, and the Nicole Kidman/Daniel Craig The Invasion came out only thirteen years after that. I expect the re-re-re-remake (which will probably titled Of The :lol: ) to be announced any day now.

AndyDursin

#4 Post by AndyDursin »

There has never been -- nor will there ever be -- a good movie based on a video game.
Agree on the former. Disagree on the latter.

https://www.rollingstone.com/glixel/new ... ie-w516559

If Miyamoto does get the script he wants (and he says Nintendo will move along if they can't get it together), I can tell you that movie is going to make a billion dollars worldwide. Nintendo has held off revisiting Mario ever since the Bob Hoskins disaster -- I'm sure it'll be respectful and fun for that reason, and Illumination might actually score with that source material.

The character is perennially enduring and the games still make a fortune worldwide -- if they actually make a fun, upbeat animated movie, I think they can break the ceiling and have a massive success on their hands.

It's odd, though, that most video game movies have been so bad...I've played games that are a lot more fun, and more cinematic, than a lot of modern movies. I mean, the GOLDENEYE game was a lot more fun than watching the film!

I think part of the problem is when they do make these movies, they don't stick to what worked in the games. SUPER MARIO BROS. is one of the most influential games ever made -- the look, the music, the sound, all of it was so influential it's like B&W going to color in the gaming world. And yet the movie that gets produced is this downbeat, icky looking Blade Runner-ripoff from the Max Headroom people?!? The hell were they smoking!! No wonder why Nintendo never wanted to go through that process again...which is why I think Mario could be the saving grace...if it gets made.
Even the second film came out in 2003, which was fifteen years ago now. :shock:
Exactly -- we've had 2 different Supermans and 2 different Batmen since then (lol)...

I'm not planning on seeing it right now, but I don't blame them for trying to make another film. The Tomb Raider games are popular and the character is well-known. The issue with the Jolie movies is that they weren't well written or much fun. They did OK because of "the brand" -- not because the films themselves were any good.

It looks like they are starting over and forgetting the Jolie movies happened because it's like the Daniel Craig 007 movies with the character starting out again. That was the hook to the video game (which was really outstanding) and it's probably wise for them to go in that direction.

Vikander looks good in the part. That's half the battle right there. :lol:

At this point, I'd rather see this than RAMPAGE :mrgreen: :roll:

tjguitar85

#5 Post by tjguitar85 »

You didn't like Mortal Kombat or the Jean Claude Van Damme Street Fighter? :D

It's crazy how many major blockbusters are forgotten to time...

AndyDursin

#6 Post by AndyDursin »

It's funny, I didn't see this yet, but this film did get a solid amount of respectable reviews from major outlets (like Variety). The majority of the reviews are negative but I feel like they were all written in advance, because of course critics were predisposed to thinking this was a piece of crap. Its not Disney so they don't have to drink the kool aid plus it's an easy target to beat up on. The fact it has gotten some decent reviews probably means it's likewise decent.

As for the box-office, internationally it was off to a solid start last week -- we will see how it holds up there as US revenues are pretty flat. Still I'd expect MGM/WB were prepared for that.

tjguitar85

#7 Post by tjguitar85 »

I saw it and I enjoyed it well enough. I thought she did well in the role.