TRON 2?? Unfortunately, it's NOT a sequel....

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
AndyDursin

TRON 2?? Unfortunately, it's NOT a sequel....

#1 Post by AndyDursin »

...but another god-damned remake!!

WHY?!?!?! I mean, for crying out loud, how 'bout a sequel??

Here's the Moviehole.com scoop:
------------
A couple of years ago it was rumoured that a sequel to "Tron" might be in the works. Strong DVD sales for the original and a popular computer-game almost confirmed we'd be returning to the world of an outdated computer games guts sooner or later.

An agent for Jeff Bridges - one of the original stars of the film - told us at the time that "Apparently his part is being written like Marlon Brando in Apocolypse Now. The other guy (Martin Sheen) is looking for him but he's fully entered the cyber world. It sounded like fun and Jeff is interested. We'll see..."

Jeff Bridges apparently liked the script - but it never went any further than just that, a couple of people 'liking the idea'.

Now it seems, the "Tron 2.0" idea has been scrapped in favour for a complete makeover. Yup, Disney are going to remake the 80's fave.

According to Variety, Brian Klugman and Lee Sternthal will pen the retool. They previously put pen to paper on "Black Cat", based on the 1940s Harvey comic book of the same name.

"We are contemporizing it, taking these ideas that were ahead of the curve and applying them to the present, and we feel the film now has a chance to resonate with a young audience," said Klugman.

Guess Bridges is out then?

Eric W.

#2 Post by Eric W. »

I've been saying this for years: All of these remakes Hollywood is doing just tell me that they've run out of GOOD ideas.

This is absolutely hideous.

romanD

#3 Post by romanD »

I don't know... making a sequel to a movie that is over 20 years old sounds stupid in a way, either. They are maybe just afraid that none of the target audience really knows the movie anymore. And hands down, the movie wasn't really good. I love it and it has really cool ideas and set pieces, but that the director had no clues how to direct a movie is fairly obvious. Of course, there are easy ways to come up with a new story (as the game showed, which is a fantastic game imho), but I don't mind seeing a new version of the original story as long as the light cycles are in there... :-)))

(do you remember the scene where they meet actual hardware, which walks around? There is some kind of diode(?) or lightbulb... such a silly costume and senseless idea... why is hardware walking around there???)

Im happy to get a new version of TRON, no matter whether it is a sequel or a remake.