Andy's Recommended INTERNATIONAL DVD Sites

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
Admin
Site Admin

Andy's Recommended INTERNATIONAL DVD Sites

#1 Post by Admin » Thu Jan 27, 2005 10:52 am

ANDY'S LIST OF RECOMMENDED INTERNATIONAL DVD SITES

Every few weeks I receive a question or two about import DVDs -- where to get them, where to order from, etc. My experience over the years has generally been a positive one regardless of where I've ordered, and with a little research, I'm sure yours will be too!

I'm not being compensated for listing any of these merchants, nor do I offer any guarantees. :) That being said, if you're looking for a particular international title, I'd direct you to any of the following sites:

HONG KONG (Region 3, NTSC Titles)
www.dddhouse.com
KOREA (Region 3, NTSC Titles)
www.koreandvds.com

For those in the U.S., Korea and HK imports are better deals with the current state of the US dollar than ordering from a European source. Plus, the titles are mostly all NTSC and not PAL formatted (thus, no "PAL speed up" issues). On the downside, the quality can vary on older movies -- if it's a new release however you're usually just fine. A good place to go for the ALIEN VS. PREDATOR, ARMY OF DARKNESS, LEAGUE OF EXTRAORDINARY GENTLEMEN, CONAN THE BARBARIAN/DESTROYER Fox-MGM Special Editions is DDDHouse.com, with extremely fast shipping and competitive prices. The site may look simple but the customer service and shipping are excellent. Koreandvds.com is also recommended.

AUSTRALIA (Region 4, PAL Titles)
www.ezydvd.com.au

Aussie titles are generally comparable with European PAL titles, though it's a whole lot less expensive to order them from Down Under than going through Europe. (Sadly, before the US dollar crashed internationally, Aussie discs were an absolute bargain; now they're still a decent deal, just not overwhelmingly so). EzyDVD's customer service is quite good.

UNITED KINGDOM (Region 2, PAL)
www.amazon.co.uk
www.bensons-world.co.uk

Benson's customer service is excellent and some of their prices are superior, but inevitably, you can't beat Amazon UK. Shipments arrive quick and sale titles will be lower than any other outlet pretty much. There's no Deep Discount DVD over there, so order a batch of titles together to save on shipping (which no matter how you slice it will be fairly high). For German and French imports, I've only used Amazon's other sites overseas (amazon.de and amazon.fr, respectively), though prices seem to be higher all around on both of those sites.

JAPAN (Region 3, NTSC)
www.amazon.co.jp
www.cdjapan.co.jp

Same situation as above, more or less: Amazon JP's prices are pretty much the best you'll find if you're looking for a Japanese import. CD Japan may get it to you quicker, but their prices are either equivalent or slightly more expensive than Amazon JP, and buyer beware: they levy a "finance charge" for overseas orders. Making Japanese imports less attractive are their absurdly high prices -- the most expensive of all imports (new releases are routinely between $25 and $40). For that reason, I've shopped elsewhere as Japan exclusives (outside of their own domestic-produced films) aren't in abundance, either.

Please feel free to include your own international DVD sites that are IMPORT friendly :) Again, I've ordered from all the above merchants with good success, so if you're looking for an import give them a look!

cheers,
Andy

romanD

#2 Post by romanD » Tue Feb 01, 2005 3:31 am

I might also add www.cdwow.com for Uk and Asian titles... AVP ttok only 2 days to deliver from Sinagpore to Germany... wonder how they do that? Usually they offer free shipping and very good prices...

AndyDursin

#3 Post by AndyDursin » Tue Feb 01, 2005 7:03 pm

Good site Roman. They also have a good deal going on right now: $2 off all titles with free ship!!

Use this click-thru to access the coupon:

http://www.dvdbargain.net/ShowDisc.asp?cmd=jmp&id=34

Dont know how long it will last, but a real nice deal if you want the ALIEN VS. PREDATOR, I ROBOT or GARFIELD Fox SE's. Some of their Superbit titles are also really inexpensive (BRAM STOKER'S DRACULA is one of several for under $11 shipped!!). Some of the titles are R2 PAL, others are R3 HK....wish there were a few more of the latter, but not a bad deal either way!

AndyDursin

#4 Post by AndyDursin » Thu May 12, 2005 11:24 pm

Another site I've used recently and would highly recommend for any Region 3 (Asia/Korea/some Japanese) titles is

www.yesasia.com

Free shipping over $39 and $5 off when you spend $50 or above.

Just be ready to jump on any limited editions fast because they're limited (obviously!! ;) and don't last long.

John Johnson

#5 Post by John Johnson » Mon May 16, 2005 12:58 pm

Andy,
Do you have an email address for BBC Video in the U.S.?
John.

AndyDursin

#6 Post by AndyDursin » Tue May 17, 2005 1:12 am

John,
Sadly I don't...I believe Warner distributes their product, which is the one big studio that I'm not all that close to.

John Johnson

#7 Post by John Johnson » Tue May 17, 2005 1:15 pm

Andy,
Thanks for the info about Warners. I was hoping to contact the BBC over their release dates (or lack thereof) concerning Blakes 7. I guess it's not a major concern to them, seeing as they have already missed the 25th anniversay of the show. Well, I guess there is always 2008, the show's 30th. LOL.
Thought you might be interested in a Region 2 site I know of. They only review Region 2 releases and have menu screen shots too
http://www.r2-dvd.org/
John.

John Johnson

#8 Post by John Johnson » Tue May 24, 2005 3:28 pm

Andy,
Found this site thought it might prove useful to others. It compares dvds released in other regions. Pretty good site to visit, if you're looking for something. For instance, the Italian release of Enemy At the Gates has an 85 min. documentary called "The Country of Russia", something that isn't included elsewhere. Pity this two disc version isn't available on R1.

http://www.dvdcompare.net/

John.

mahler3

#9 Post by mahler3 » Thu Jun 30, 2005 7:35 pm

Hi All!

I use the below site frequently, handy as they accept lots of different forms of payment and they feature excellent imports (the R3 Band of Brothers Military Pack is superb) and very reasonably priced used DVD's that are always as good as new and sometimes even sealed :) .

It's worth a look = www.movietyme.com

Andy, I was reading your Loch Ness DVD review on FSM - you might be interested to know that the region 2 release features the correct 2.35:1 aspect ratio. Very rare that a region 2 release betters a region 1 edition.

romanD

#10 Post by romanD » Fri Sep 09, 2005 12:44 pm

maybe you know, but just wanted to warn all of you of the retail-shop www.dvdsoon.com

they are probably going bankrupt but apparently try to take all customers with them... it's so sad as they have been one of the bests out there and now the keep all your money, changed the rules, so they don't have to give it back to you and such things.

Avoid at all costs!

John Johnson

#11 Post by John Johnson » Mon Feb 27, 2006 1:29 pm

Andy, Do you know of any U.S. based sites that list U.K. Region 2 titles for sale? When I was living in England, there always seemed to be many U.K. sites that listed Region 1 titles. I thought the reverse might apply here with Region 2.

Paul MacLean

#12 Post by Paul MacLean » Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:37 pm

John Johnson wrote:Andy, Do you know of any U.S. based sites that list U.K. Region 2 titles for sale? When I was living in England, there always seemed to be many U.K. sites that listed Region 1 titles. I thought the reverse might apply here with Region 2.

I don't know of any myself . I think the lack of US Region-2 DVD sellers is the attitude "nothing is released in the UK that you can't get in the US."

Which of course is baloney -- especially when it comes to television productions, which are usually butchered by the time they are shown America! :x

The BBC TV movie Lorna Doone is in 16:9 on the R2 DVD, but cropped to 3:4 on the A&E Home Video R1 DVD.

The BBC's Charles II: The Power and the Passion is a four hour production whose R2 DVD contains the complete series; the A&E R1 DVD is only THREE hours, and retitled The Last King (which makes no sense at all -- Charles II was hardly the last king of England!).

The documentary Deep Blue has wonderful narration by Michael Gambon on the R2 DVD; on the R1 DVD the narration has been re-recorded by Pierce Brosnan. :roll:

Ok, I'll stop venting...but I order R2 DVDs mostly from amazon.co.uk -- shipping is around £4, but my shipments actually arrive SOONER from Amazon.uk than they do from Amazon.com!

Barring than, one can also subscribe to The Guardian and get all those free DVDs bundled with the Saturday edition! :wink:

Jedbu

Another good Australian website

#13 Post by Jedbu » Tue May 29, 2007 9:26 am

:) If you seek Region 2-4 discs, I've had good luck with DVD Orchard www.dvdorchard.com.au

I got my copy of Abel Gance's NAPOLEON through them. Quick, not terribly expensive and they have some good specials from time to time.
JDvDHeise

"You've got to remember that these are just simple farmers. These are people of the land. The common clay of the new West. You know... morons."-Gene Wilder to Cleavon Little in BLAZING SADDLES

John Johnson

#14 Post by John Johnson » Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:10 pm

Andy,
Thought you might want to now Ezydvd.com.au have a sale on at the moment.

http://www.ezydvd.com.au/beatthebomb.zml
London. Greatest City in the world.

AndyDursin

#15 Post by AndyDursin » Sat Dec 13, 2008 4:25 pm

Nice, I will check that out!

I was thinking of checking out that THUNDERBIRDS Blu Ray box until I found out they cropped all the transfers to 16:9!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: