Andy's Recommended INTERNATIONAL DVD Sites

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
John Johnson

Re: Andy's Recommended INTERNATIONAL DVD Sites

#16 Post by John Johnson » Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:45 pm

Andy,
Have you ordered from JB Hi-Fi?
Any good?
London. Greatest City in the world.

AndyDursin

#17 Post by AndyDursin » Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:13 pm

I have used JB Hifi many times. A lot less recently because their shipping prices are now jacked up (they charge per-item, not per shipment, to the tune of $8 AUS each disc), but they are reliable. The one time my discs never came, they re-shipped them. They also have sales a few times a year (20-30% especially around Christmas/New Years).

EZYDVD is the other Aussie outlet, they have good customer service but their prices are a tad higher and they don't run sales. Worth checking though.

What are you going to pick up?

John Johnson

#18 Post by John Johnson » Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:42 am

AndyDursin wrote:I have used JB Hifi many times. A lot less recently because their shipping prices are now jacked up (they charge per-item, not per shipment, to the tune of $8 AUS each disc), but they are reliable. The one time my discs never came, they re-shipped them. They also have sales a few times a year (20-30% especially around Christmas/New Years).

EZYDVD is the other Aussie outlet, they have good customer service but their prices are a tad higher and they don't run sales. Worth checking though.

There's a film called Strange Bedfellows with Paul Hogan and Michael Caton. I always liked Paul Hogan. Picked up the Crocodile Dundee last Christmas. Staying on the subject of Crocodile Dundee, one of the biggest films to come out of Australia, and it still hasn't been released on Blu-ray? How odd.

I can't see myself using them a lot. The only other I may end up getting, will be the new release of Journey to the Far Side of the Sun, which is out soon.

AndyDursin

#19 Post by AndyDursin » Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:36 pm

Not only that but they seem to be out of print altogether -- they're not even on DVD down there!

There are only a few Australian exclusives I have, most of which I bought from Umbrella's sale (when they were $10 and under). They sell direct from their website.

RAZORBACK
KING KONG (76, best looking version of this)
BEASTMASTER
BLACK ROBE
A BOY NAMED CHARLIE BROWN/SNOOPY COME HOME (this is coming out in September)

John Johnson

#20 Post by John Johnson » Tue Aug 18, 2015 2:22 pm

John Johnson wrote:
AndyDursin wrote:I have used JB Hifi many times. A lot less recently because their shipping prices are now jacked up (they charge per-item, not per shipment, to the tune of $8 AUS each disc), but they are reliable. The one time my discs never came, they re-shipped them. They also have sales a few times a year (20-30% especially around Christmas/New Years).

There's a film called Strange Bedfellows with Paul Hogan and Michael Caton. I always liked Paul Hogan. Picked up the Crocodile Dundee last Christmas. Staying on the subject of Crocodile Dundee, one of the biggest films to come out of Australia, and it still hasn't been released on Blu-ray? How odd.

I can't see myself using them a lot. The only other I may end up getting, will be the new release of Journey to the Far Side of the Sun, which is out soon.

Well, I FINALLY received notification my order has shipped. We'll see how long it takes :D

I see Journey to the Far Side of the Sun is released tomorrow in Australia (or is that today?) Anyway, that's next on my list.

John Johnson

#21 Post by John Johnson » Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:43 am

John Johnson wrote:
John Johnson wrote:

Well, I FINALLY received notification my order has shipped. We'll see how long it takes :D

I see Journey to the Far Side of the Sun is released tomorrow in Australia (or is that today?) Anyway, that's next on my list.

The Blu-ray has an alternative cover.

http://tvcentury21.blogspot.com.au/

AndyDursin

#22 Post by AndyDursin » Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:00 pm

Let me know how that works out! That's the one with the alternate cut, right?

I've had more problems with packages from Australia than ordering from anywhere else. Over the years I've had parcels never arrive from both EzyDVD and JBHifi. It has to be their postal system, but at least both places made good and shipped additional copies out. I think that's why JBHifi charges per-disc and ships separately, because of the amount of discs they've had internationally never arrive at their destination...if they ship separately there's less likelihood for that to happen.

John Johnson

#23 Post by John Johnson » Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:59 pm

AndyDursin wrote:Let me know how that works out! That's the one with the alternate cut, right?

I've had more problems with packages from Australia than ordering from anywhere else. Over the years I've had parcels never arrive from both EzyDVD and JBHifi. It has to be their postal system, but at least both places made good and shipped additional copies out. I think that's why JBHifi charges per-disc and ships separately, because of the amount of discs they've had internationally never arrive at their destination...if they ship separately there's less likelihood for that to happen.
Yes. The US and UK cuts of the film. A far as I know, there are two 35mm prints around. One is held by the BFI and Fanderson have the other, which is the one used by Madman Entertainment. I believe the UK version is unrestored. Here's a review of the release.

http://www.zetaminor.com/roobarb/showth ... f-The-Sun-(Madman-Entertainment

John Johnson

#24 Post by John Johnson » Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:18 pm

John Johnson wrote:

I received my copy today. Took about a ten days. Not bad, seeing it's coming from Oz. My packages usually taken longer to arrive from the UK. I also received confirmation my copy of Journey To the Far Side of the Sun has shipped today. So far, I have been pleased with the service.