ALIEN VS PREDATOR REQUIEM -- Not Even 90 Minutes

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
AndyDursin

#16 Post by AndyDursin »

Box-office numbers continue to take a nosedive. I'd say this is probably the end of the line for this series -- and likely a bad idea to go with a "hard R" rating. At this point I doubt the film will even finish with a $30 million domestic gross, less than half of the original's in-take.

romanD

#17 Post by romanD »

this movie was really really bad... the directors had clearly no idea about howto make a movie at all... and the editing was very choppy, clearly the movie was cut down from a longer cut, in the trailer were many scenes not in the final movie, like Michelle mowing down the Aliens... you still see the gun mowing aliens down, but not that Michelle is at it... but! the predator is following her then after the mowing scene, apparently as he is impressed by her fighting skills, but as she never touched a gun in this version now this doesnt make much sense...

well sense is a word missing entirely anyway...

but also it is so disappointing that it was so badly done... the music is pretty fun and cool on CD (with many many nods to all previous scores), but in the movie sliced and diced like hell and mixed so low that it sometimes sounds like a cheap synth score (which would have fitted anyway). They bought 2 cues from PREDATOR though, which is strange as Tyler incorporated so much of Silvestri's themes anyway...

the FX are hardly impressive, too... especially the Aliens come off as pretty shabby guys in suits this time and the Predalien is designwise not a revelation either...

and add to that a horrible color correction, which was apparently done on last minute, because in the internet you can see the first 5 minutes and they are much much brighter... it is really very often hard to tell what is going on at all, just because they put black filters over everything...

the end is excatly the same as RESIDENT EVIL 2 and the showdown fight a joke... really... you may think what you want of Paul Anderson, but he knows how to make things look great and how to direct action...

overall it reminded me the most of SPECIES 2 (not only because of endless scenes with (pregnant) women exploding and I wouldnt be suprised if the AVP franchise goes to direct to video hell like SPECIES with endless sequels with cheap monsters...

FOX should be ashamed of themselves to produce such crap with nobody apparently caring about anything except an R-rating... I mean they even called the movie REQUIEM to have the R in the marketing (AVP-R... hahah... get it?), but in the film it is simply called AVP2... no requiem in sight...

avoid at all cost...

AndyDursin

#18 Post by AndyDursin »

Brian Tyler, sadly, does not impress me much. He has the tools to produce an orchestral score (especially in lieu of all the Zimmers out there) but they are almost entirely devoid of thematic interest or any appeal whatsoever. TIMELINE was decent but I haven't heard anything else from him that would make me consider paying for one of his albums.

Like most of these younger guys it's all style and no substance at all -- and another sign of the declining world of film music. Though he's "better" than John Ottman...for the most part. I would think if he re-uses Goldsmith's themes RAMBO might be decent, but I fail to see any reason in buying it when the originals will be light years beyond Tyler's efforts in terms of depth, thematic material and development.

romanD

#19 Post by romanD »

he also repats himself beyond acceptance... his only really good score was CONSTANTINE, though that got hacked up pretty horrible...

Tyler also is now a name for bad movies... I cant recall one good movie he scored (except CONSTANTINE)... his BUBBA HOTEP Score is fun, but well, not comparable to his orchestral works. He is a good craftman, like John Debney, but hardly knows how to write a good tune and I guess he gets all the jobs just because of his good looks and charme.

Say what you want about Ottman, but at least I would say Ottman has a distinctive style... you dont need to like it, but I think that is at least worth something... Tyler sounds like many others, but Ottman or Beltrami are always to spot... again, doesnt mean you have to like their styles or think their styles are good, but give them at least some credit for that... I appreciate that alone before I get another MV clone... (HITMAN anyone? god, zanelli should be ashamed... and Powell consider calling his lawyer... what a BOURNE ripoff...)

anyhow... Tyler`s name on a poster guarantees now the movie is bad...

Monterey Jack

#20 Post by Monterey Jack »

romanD wrote:Tyler also is now a name for bad movies... I cant recall one good movie he scored
Frailty was a terrific movie, and has some nice, neo-Herrmann scoring by Tyler.

AndyDursin

#21 Post by AndyDursin »

Monterey Jack wrote:
romanD wrote:Tyler also is now a name for bad movies... I cant recall one good movie he scored
Frailty was a terrific movie, and has some nice, neo-Herrmann scoring by Tyler.
Yeah I'd beg to differ on that one too. Either way, his resume -- if you look at it -- is a virtual litany of one bad movie after another, going back year after year.

mkaroly

#22 Post by mkaroly »

I will say that I liked AVP:R score better than Ottman's SUPERMAN score.

AndyDursin

#23 Post by AndyDursin »

mkaroly wrote:I will say that I liked AVP:R score better than Ottman's SUPERMAN score.
I'm sure it's better -- and I haven't heard it yet! :)

John Johnson

#24 Post by John Johnson »

Here's the specs for the DVD release.
http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=67044
London. Greatest City in the world.

Eric W.

#25 Post by Eric W. »

John Johnson wrote:Here's the specs for the DVD release.
http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=67044

And here are the specs for the companion Blu-Ray versions of both movies.
20th Century Fox Fox Home Entertainment has announced that they will release 'Alien vs Predator: Requiem' for Blu-ray on April 15th, day-and-date with the DVD release.

Additionally, Fox will reissue the original 'Alien vs Predator' movie on the same day as a Unrated Collector's Edition release.

Fans will have the choice of purchasing the films separately (for those who don't want to upgrade their existing 'Alien vs Predator' Blu-ray) or as a two-pack.
An optional double dip. ;)

'Alien vs Predator: Requiem' will present both the rated and unrated versions of the film via seamless branching in 2.35:1 1080p AVC on a BD-50.

Audio will come via a 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio track. Extras include audio commentaries, digital copy, five behind-the-scenes featurettes, and seven still design galleries. Exclusive to the Blu-ray release is the "Weyland-Yutani Archives" picture-in-picture reference guide which allows viewers access into the movie-based corporation's top-secret computer mainframe to discover information on all things Alien and Predator. This feature will require use of a BonusView player or PS3.

Specs for 'Alien vs Predator Unrated Collector's Edition' have not been released at this time, but we do know that this film will feature the "Alien vs Predator vs You" game specified at CES 2008.
^^ Both movies will hopefully get that maxed out, royal treatment.

Source: Fox Home Entertainment press releases.

AndyDursin

#26 Post by AndyDursin »

Interesting so it's another BD release of the first movie followed by the new one.

I'm up for checking this out -- truth be told I didnt want to pay to see it but I'll be interested in watching it at home.

mkaroly

#27 Post by mkaroly »

Well, I enjoyed some parts of it- not that that counts for anything, but I think it's fun in some ways. I will definitely be picking that special edition up....lol....though I think I may be the only person in the world who did find some of it fun to watch.

Eric W.

#28 Post by Eric W. »

mkaroly wrote:Well, I enjoyed some parts of it- not that that counts for anything, but I think it's fun in some ways. I will definitely be picking that special edition up....lol....though I think I may be the only person in the world who did find some of it fun to watch.
Nah. These have been fun romps for a kick.