ALIENS VS PREDATOR - Hopefully The Final Chapter

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
AndyDursin

ALIENS VS PREDATOR - Hopefully The Final Chapter

#1 Post by AndyDursin »

I mildly enjoyed the first AVP but I just finished watching the Blu Ray disc of ALIENS VS PREDATOR - REQUIEM and it makes its predecessor look like a classic.

A somewhat watchable ending but otherwise basic guttertrash, badly directed, acted, shot, scored, written...I think a group of grade schoolers could have done more than this movie than the "Brothers Strause."

Let's go through the scorecard....

Characters? Nope.
Story? forget it.
Thrills? Non-existent.
Drama? Never heard of it.

Other than two places where I laughed unintentionally it's shocking how this movie got greenlit and released...I've seen low-grade Sci-Fi Channel movies with better screenplays. Close to a complete disaster on every level...not even Reiko Aylwesworth could save it (and note the Unrated extended version adds loads of character asides but is even more tasteless with its disgusting maternity ward sequence than the theatrical version).

You may want to rent it just to check it out...but don't say you weren't warned! ;)
Last edited by AndyDursin on Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Monterey Jack

Re: ALIENS VS PREDATOR - Hopefully The Final Chapter

#2 Post by Monterey Jack »

AndyDursin wrote:not even Reiko Aylwesworth could save it
:cry:

AndyDursin

#3 Post by AndyDursin »

Monterey Jack wrote:
AndyDursin wrote:not even Reiko Aylwesworth could save it
:cry:
she looks good at the end. But it's a thankless role, she has nothing to do for basically 75 minutes :(

John Johnson

#4 Post by John Johnson »

AndyDursin wrote: I've seen low-grade Sci-Fi Channel movies with better screenplays.
I find that hard to believe. LOL
London. Greatest City in the world.

AndyDursin

#5 Post by AndyDursin »

John Johnson wrote:
AndyDursin wrote: I've seen low-grade Sci-Fi Channel movies with better screenplays.
I find that hard to believe. LOL
Nope...believe it! Basically the script as written can be summarized like this:

-ship crashes
-pizza guy gets beaten up by would-be-girlfriend's boyfriend
-alien attacks
-scene in a diner -- alien attacks
-scene in a gutter -- alien attacks
-scene in a swimming pool -- alien attacks
-scene in a power station -- alien attacks
-scene in a maternity ward -- alien attacks
-scene on top of a rooftop -- alien attacks

If you think that sounds basic, wait till you see it. The film plays out like a slapdash assortment of sequences with nothing linking them together. The whole movie has no flow, developed characters, drama, anything. It honestly makes the first AVP look like CITIZEN KANE by comparison in every regard. And in all the fuss over the PG-13 rating of AVP, the R bought Fox absolutely nothing with this sequel -- a few punctured heads maybe? They lost millions by shutting out the teenage crowd which made the first film a hit, and it sure didn't make the film any more entertaining either.

But I will say there were two hilarious moments:

1. This may be the dumbest Predator in the world. He tails an alien for miles and comes across it at a power station. He fires, maybe, a HALF DOZEN rockets at this thing and misses every time! Then he walks around having no idea the alien is underneath him, which promptly slugs him down several levels. In the meantime his misfired rockets cause the power to go out everywhere.

2. The scene where Reiko's husband says "there are no monsters" only to have the alien jump through the window and rip his head off.

Seriously, seriously funny. :lol:

Eric W.

#6 Post by Eric W. »

It's terrible and I really hope Reiko's agent can move her on to much better things very quickly.

These are the kinds of movies that bury and end careers.

romanD

#7 Post by romanD »

I told you! :-)

Fox should be really ashamed of themselves! But a Part 3 is apparently greenlit already!

Maybe they changed it for the DVD, but at theaters the title was only Aliens vs. Predator 2... no REQUIEM in sight... that was already the second when my alarm bells went off... I mean, you advertize everywhere a movie with a certain title (here only to play with "R"-equiem... get it?) and then don't even bother to put the title onto the movie itself??? Trouble ahead I'd say!

And boy did it not disappoint...

but I disagree with the rating, Im sure the R-rating was the only thing that made people watch this crap (at least in the first week...)...

Moreover Im also very shocked how many (young) people I met who actually thought it was great! Have they ever seen any of the previous ones? And in direct comparison you have to give Anderson that he knows how to make a movie, make it look good and direct action... he may not be a good writer, but he is a competent filmmaker, like it or not. AVP 1 is a masterpiece compared to this...

even Alex Gillis and Tom Woodruff should be ashamed of their effects...

this has SPECIES 2 all over it (and that had at least was honest enough and had ots of tits and sex in it...)

and I tell you, this will get the same fate and get endless direct-to-dvd sequels...

shame on you Fox!

(btw, the version in the theaters was mistakenly colored too dark, the filmlab f*** it up, apparently that has been corrected now for the dvd, so you actually can see what is going on, which for sure doesn't help anyway)

Eric W.

#8 Post by Eric W. »

It's too bad that Fox seems hellbent on destroying these two series: Aliens and Predator both.

Why can't we get any more big budget, A list movies for either of these? What a waste.

AndyDursin

#9 Post by AndyDursin »

My crazy plan to resurrect the Alien franchise was to pretend ALIEN 3 and 4 never happened, just make a straight sequel to ALIENS and have Newt wake up aged as an adult in the form of, say, Sarah Michelle Gellar. Ripley could be dead, I think we killed that character too many times, but the potential was there to do a sequel to ALIENS and we never got it...instead we got ALIEN3 instead! :evil:

AndyDursin

#10 Post by AndyDursin »

Going back to AVP2, I agree totally with Roman. Anderson gets ragged on by a lot of internet nerds but the bottom line is, yes, he DOES know how to competently direct a genre film and handle action. I wrote in my review this week the original AVP is a classic compared to this movie. The Strause Brothers should be handling Sci-Fi movies on Saturday nights, and the script looked like it was assembled by kindergarteners.

I noticed AVP2 tanked in the U.S. -- almost certainly because of the rating to some degree -- but did well foreign, nearly doing as well as the first AVP. Perhaps that's the reason they're doing another one? And you know what, I'll even watch it, hoping it's more like the first movie. All that added gore did nothing for AVP2.

BTW where was the story about them going ahead and making another sequel? I missed it...and i admit I'm a bit surprised.

Eric W.

#11 Post by Eric W. »

AndyDursin wrote:My crazy plan to resurrect the Alien franchise was to pretend ALIEN 3 and 4 never happened, just make a straight sequel to ALIENS and have Newt wake up aged as an adult in the form of, say, Sarah Michelle Gellar. Ripley could be dead, I think we killed that character too many times, but the potential was there to do a sequel to ALIENS and we never got it...instead we got ALIEN3 instead! :evil:
^^ This really would be/would have been the cleanest way to do it. Parts 3 and 4 never happened. I think that's the way most fans feel anyways.

They're even making a new videogame that takes place shortly after Aliens, because that's what everyone wants.

mkaroly

#12 Post by mkaroly »

I have to be honest and say that I am a total glutton for punishment and will watch any AVP sequels that come out...even on the tails of AVP:R (which I admit I enjoyed for the Alien/Predator sequences and some of the otehr "monster movie homages" (intentional or otherwise) in another thread. I totally agree that the story sucked, and normally I would scoff at anything that poorly written. But, what can I say? I like Aliens and Predator. So, I'm up for several more sequels....oddly enough though, I really hated ALIEN RESURRECTION and to this day that movie irritates me. Hated the last hour.

AndyDursin

#13 Post by AndyDursin »

mkaroly wrote:I have to be honest and say that I am a total glutton for punishment and will watch any AVP sequels that come out...even on the tails of AVP:R (which I admit I enjoyed for the Alien/Predator sequences and some of the otehr "monster movie homages" (intentional or otherwise) in another thread. I totally agree that the story sucked, and normally I would scoff at anything that poorly written. But, what can I say? I like Aliens and Predator. So, I'm up for several more sequels....oddly enough though, I really hated ALIEN RESURRECTION and to this day that movie irritates me. Hated the last hour.
RESURRECTION is awful....the last one I'd want to sit through out of either series (that includes AVP2).