THE NEW WORLD Extended Cut -- 10/14 Release

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
AndyDursin

THE NEW WORLD Extended Cut -- 10/14 Release

#1 Post by AndyDursin »

Too bad there's no Blu Ray version announced as of yet. Nevertheless, I'm very much looking forward to this one, and the price is only $19 SRP for the standard DVD.

As far as the version we've seen goes, it's unfortunate that Malick ruined one of Horner's all-time finest scores, but the theatrical cut was still a beautifully crafted film with gorgeous cinematography and sound. A longer version should only help.

The New World Extended Cut

Director Terrence Malick’s Epic Starring Colin Farrell,
Christian Bale and Christopher Plummer Features
More than 30 Minutes of Never-Before-Seen Footage!

October 14 from Warner Home Video

Burbank, Calif, June 23, 2008 - The New World, Academy Award® nominated director Terrence Malick’s (The Thin Red Line, Days of Heaven) adventure-filled journey of discovery, will be released October 14 on DVD in a new amped-up Extended Cut. This edition of the critically-acclaimed, Oscar®-nominated epic recreating the turbulent first days of the new America now features over 30 minutes of never-before-seen footage, heightening the viewing experience with more battles, more intensity and more visual splendor. Also included is a comprehensive, ten-part documentary – Making the New World – which captures the unique creative challenges filmmakers faced. The New World Extended Cut will sell for $19.97 SRP and orders are due September 9.

Synopsis

Powhatan tribal people stare in wonder as three ships approach shore. It’s a story every schoolchild knows; the story of Capt. John Smith (Colin Farrell), Pocahontas (Q’orianka Kilcher). Now, as told by filmmaker Terrence Malick (Badlands, Days of Heaven, The Thin Red Line) in this Extended Version with more than 30 minutes of footage unseen in theaters -- it’s a story you never imagined. Working in part from first-hand histories and adding his extraordinary sense of image and human drama, Malick crafts a visceral, spellbinding tale of the Jamestown settlement, of cultures connecting and of deadly consequences when connections fray. Christian Bale and Christopher Plummer also star.

Special Features

* A comprehensive, ten-part documentary Making the New World capturing the unique challenges of creating this historic epic.

Feature Running Time: 172 minutes – Unrated

2:35 Letterbox

English 5.1 Surround & English 2.0

English CC, Spanish Subtitles

Eric W.

#2 Post by Eric W. »

Andy, I've seen you talk about this thing forever. I'm curious as all get out to see it, especially in glorious high def.

I've seen BD announcements sometimes come later, even if the movie ends up being on the same date. LA Confidential being a recent example.

It's probably a foregone conclusion that this thing is coming off a pristine new master so I'd be surprised if a BD version doesn't come out along side or not too long after this DVD does.

AndyDursin

#3 Post by AndyDursin »

Yeah I hope so. Except Warner usually does all of their announcements at the same time, which is why I'm a bit worried...if all else fails, it's possible it could spring up as an import since it's a New Line title and a handful of different distributors control it internationally.

Monterey Jack

#4 Post by Monterey Jack »

Yay, another half-hour of random shots of wildlife and meandering voiceovers!

AndyDursin

#5 Post by AndyDursin »

Monterey Jack wrote:Yay, another half-hour of random shots of wildlife and meandering voiceovers!
Except those random shots of wildlife sure look pretty :)

I understand (and have carped about) Malick's "free form" filmmaking at times but these days it's a much-needed tonic to the ADD-driven commercial filmmaking we seem to get week in and week out.

Monterey Jack

#6 Post by Monterey Jack »

I'll admit I did like The New World well enough, but Malick's "find the film in the editing room" style is not a favorite of mine. The Thin Red Line remains one of the most agonizingly pretentious films I have ever sat through.

AndyDursin

#7 Post by AndyDursin »

Monterey Jack wrote:I'll admit I did like The New World well enough, but Malick's "find the film in the editing room" style is not a favorite of mine. The Thin Red Line remains one of the most agonizingly pretentious films I have ever sat through.
Yeah I liked the visuals, the sound, the cinematography...but I'd like to have seen what he actually shot before he "made" the movie in editing. I loved the names of all the actors who received "special thanks" in the end credits -- namely, all the people he CUT from the film! Some of them were none too pleased...understandably.

Jedbu

#8 Post by Jedbu »

I am a huge Malick fan-DAYS OF HEAVEN is one of the best films of the 70's (the Criterion DVD is astoundingly beautiful)-but was disappointed with THE NEW WORLD. I loved the opening sequences but the dialogue parts seemed like Malick was not very interested in them. I do want to see this, if only to see the "making of" section and hoping to actually see Malick in action and possibly hear what he sounds like (Possible but not probable).

I would love to see the footage cut from THIN RED LINE someday, even more than this film.

This man probably would have been one of the great silent film directors, if the studios would have left him alone. A film called STARK LOVE, directed by Karl Brown for Paramount in 1927 on location in the mountains with locals in the leads or Murnau's CITY GIRL from 1929 are probably the closest to Malick's sensibilities from that period.

JSWalsh

Re: THE NEW WORLD Extended Cut -- 10/14 Release

#9 Post by JSWalsh »

Hello Andy and all,

My first post.

I will probably pick this up even though I think Malick is among the overrated directors around because, whatever other folks think of him, I find his movies have a unique tone I find rather mesmerizing. I generally find movies one could describe as "a meditation on (nature, war, humanity)" tedious, but The New World, like Thin Read Line and Days of Heaven, was an intoxicating viewing, listening experience. The CD is a great listen (and I am very picky when it comes to Horner), but when I saw the movie with the score (and the classical tracks), it held my attention.

I think it's a hugely flawed movie, but when people are praising the latest boring superhero movie like it's Best Picture-level awesomeness, I have to give it props for attempting something substantial.
John

AndyDursin

#10 Post by AndyDursin »

The CD is a great listen (and I am very picky when it comes to Horner), but when I saw the movie with the score (and the classical tracks), it held my attention.
Same here. I've written before that I truly feel THE NEW WORLD may be one of Horner's finest accomplishments, ever. It's a gorgeous score, it makes for a spellbinding listen, and it's just unfortunate more of it didn't end up in the movie...who knows, maybe more of it WILL pop up in this longer cut (but I wouldn't hold my breath).

JSWalsh

#11 Post by JSWalsh »

Same here. I've written before that I truly feel THE NEW WORLD may be one of Horner's finest accomplishments, ever. It's a gorgeous score, it makes for a spellbinding listen, and it's just unfortunate more of it didn't end up in the movie...who knows, maybe more of it WILL pop up in this longer cut (but I wouldn't hold my breath).
While I can prattle on negatively about Horner all day, I have no complaints about his "outdoors" scores, if you know what I mean. I often have this score on while I'm walking to and from work--three miles from Boston to Cambridge--and when I cross the Longfellow Bridge on a sunny morning, I often put on " A Dark Cloud Is Forever Lifted "--wonderful music for walking over a body of water on a spring day.

I associate much of Goldsmith's music with contemplation in barren landscapes, but there's a lot of Horner that I feel celebrates being outdoors--Bobby Jones being my #1 pick of this kind of Horner score.
John

JSWalsh

#12 Post by JSWalsh »

BTW, I had this CD on today, and while I still really enjoy it, Horner should leave the sound effects to Thomas Newman--those damned birds get annoying!
John

Jedbu

#13 Post by Jedbu »

I love the title "A Dark Cloud is Forever Lifted." What Horner score is that from (haven't purchased a score in years)? :?

Eric W.

#14 Post by Eric W. »

Jedbu wrote:I love the title "A Dark Cloud is Forever Lifted." What Horner score is that from (haven't purchased a score in years)? :?
Right off the New World soundtrack.